Chicken Pox

Old May 10th 06, 10:31 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents

Default Chicken Pox

Hello, I'm new to the group,
My little one is off school and has chicken pox with a
slight fever. They get so miserable feeling itchy and
uncomfortable. I'm trying to think up ways to make
life a bit happier, but we can't go out.

I'm on my own and feeling a bit low too, dad dropped
by to give her a cuddle but says he can't visit agin till
next week now.

It'd be nice to meet someone new, but I don't like
having strangers in the house, I like to know who
people are before they meet the kids, anyone else
feel that way? Social lifes very limited I get out one
evening a week.

Has anyone done any college courses? I'd like to
begin my own business,

Thanks,

Miri

Old May 11th 06, 03:23 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents

"'Kate" wrote in message
On 10 May 2006 14:31:43 -0700, the
following was posted in blue dry erase marker:

Hello, I'm new to the group,

Welcome!

My little one is off school and has chicken pox with a
slight fever. They get so miserable feeling itchy and
uncomfortable. I'm trying to think up ways to make
life a bit happier, but we can't go out.

Print out things for her to color, cut, and paste. Make play dough.
throw a sheet over the table, hand her a flashlight, and let her camp
indoors. Make cookies. Teach her how to play "go fish". Then the next
hour.... heh.

I'm on my own and feeling a bit low too, dad dropped
by to give her a cuddle but says he can't visit agin till
next week now.

It's tough when they're sick and having one child makes things harder
for parent/s. They need someone to play with them.

It'd be nice to meet someone new, but I don't like
having strangers in the house, I like to know who
people are before they meet the kids, anyone else
feel that way? Social lifes very limited I get out one
evening a week.

One evening a week is better than most have it.

Has anyone done any college courses? I'd like to
begin my own business,

Several of us have completed or will be completing undergrad degrees.
It's worth looking into if you don't mind the hard work.

'Kate

You forgot the paint brush and the calamine lotion game... Play paint the
kid *grin*

Old May 11th 06, 08:09 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents

Thanks for the great ideas! we made salt dough
today, I used self-raising so the models all fluffed
up!, we have two fat slightly soggy elephants on
the shelf, painted them bright pink with blue spots
on!,

She was really hot last night I thought I'd have to
get her in a cool bath, but she slept through and
isn't napping like she has the past couple of days.

The dr prescribed antihistamine, that seems to
stop the itch, although I've run out of little round
plasters already.

We're redecorating the bedroom, its an 'I want
everything in bright pink' phase. I'm suprised. The
child has shown more interest in poking small
fingers into dead snails and stomping on ants!

Right, time to tidy and iron befor cocoa and bed
- the anticipation is killing me, ha!-

bye for now

Miri

Old May 11th 06, 11:27 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents

Miri

When my two had chichen pox the doctor positively recomended going out and
about because all children need to get chicken pox and the younger the
better, then they don't remember it, in fact my daughter had chichen pox at
22 months and unfortunately she gave it to her brother he was 5 months but
neither of them remenber the experience

My advice would be to get out of the house even if you don't mix with
anyone, blow the cobwebs avay with a walk in the park or any where, what
ever the weather get out it can work wonders

I wasn't a single parent then but I am now and as to finding someone new,
they come when you aren't looking don't give up hope but let things happen
without forcing the issue

aAl the best

oups.com...

Old May 11th 06, 11:41 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents

Hi !

Old May 12th 06, 10:04 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents

'Kate wrote:
On Thu, 11 May 2006 22:27:33 GMT, "Carol Lamb"
the following was posted in blue dry erase
marker:

Miri

When my two had chichen pox the doctor positively recomended going out and
about because all children need to get chicken pox and the younger the
better, then they don't remember it, in fact my daughter had chichen pox at
22 months and unfortunately she gave it to her brother he was 5 months but
neither of them remenber the experience

How do you know that your child isn't spreading chicken pox to a child
who is undergoing chemo or has an autoimmune disorder?

My advice would be to get out of the house even if you don't mix with
anyone, blow the cobwebs avay with a walk in the park or any where, what
ever the weather get out it can work wonders

I wasn't a single parent then but I am now and as to finding someone new,
they come when you aren't looking don't give up hope but let things happen
without forcing the issue

aAl the best

I remember reading somewhere that moms used to have
a chicken pox party, & was also told that the virus is
infective up to a week before the spots come up?

I reckon most of the school has it now, I had it when
I was in my teens, and was off school for months, I was
so ill, it seemed to predispose me to catch every flu
and cold bug going. Chicken pox when you're adult
can be very serious, and measles can have a dreadful
effects. Any how, even if you've had chicken pox as
a child, you might still catch shingles in adulthood.

Today, the spots have cleared up some now, and
the sun is shining, she'll stop over with her dad at the
weekend if she's better and see some family, (we're
very lucky in that he has such an expansive family,
people to see, and lots of fuss).

Thanks Kate!, I read through your web site, compassion
and consideration for others feelings is getting rarer
and difficult to find, and so easy to do.

It hadn't registered that some parents were caught,
trapped in more of the time. When I had my first I
was a freelancer, I'd phone up the business and
explain I was a mom, did they mind if I brought the
babe along too?, people are fabulous, I will never
forget their kindness, - but being isolated is
generally awful, and if you're down it affects your
parenting doesn't it?

Its whats best for the children - what to do for their
well being, how to help them grow into happy well
adjusted adults.

bye for today,

Miri

Old May 13th 06, 03:32 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents

"'Kate" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 May 2006 22:27:33 GMT, "Carol Lamb"
the following was posted in blue dry erase
marker:

Miri

When my two had chichen pox the doctor positively recomended going out

and
about because all children need to get chicken pox and the younger the
better, then they don't remember it, in fact my daughter had chichen pox

at
22 months and unfortunately she gave it to her brother he was 5 months

but
neither of them remenber the experience

How do you know that your child isn't spreading chicken pox to a child
who is undergoing chemo or has an autoimmune disorder?

Isn't the chicken pox vaccination required now for school? I seem to
recall them making it mandatory shortly a couple of years after my daughter
started.