Is this racist?

Old August 9th 03, 02:58 PM
dejablues

Default Is this racist?

It's common with dog people (or animal people in general) to use that sort
of grammar:

I work cattle
I race greyhounds
I run beagles
I show Quarter Horses

These wouldn't sound right with "with" inserted.

Doing a web search with the words "black tan hunt" pulls up a plethora of
websites..all about hunting dogs.
I think the OP is just way off base here!

"llama mama" wrote in message
. ..
Wendy Marsden wrote in
:

I'm driving behind a white GMC Jimmy SUV and it has exactly one bumper
sticker on it that says, "I hunt black and tans". I'm looking at this
with my mouth open thinking they MUST be talking about dogs, they
can't really be talking about lynching, can they? I look closer to
see if there's a tiny "with" in there. Nope, but there's a silhouette
which I finally figure out (at a stop light when I can study it) is a
dog barking up a tree trunk.

well, i can see how a nonhunter or non-dogperson might read it as
racist (since a lot of people don't know black & tan is a breed), but i
doubt the person with the bumpersticker or the maker of the sticker meant
it as racist. while it's poor grammar to leave of the 'with', it's common
convention particularly on bumperstickers. it's not meant as a double
entendre in this case, anyway.
BTW, i've never heard a racist remark using 'tan' as a derogatory term.
lee
--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate
between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital

Old August 9th 03, 03:25 PM
Wendy Marsden

Iuil wrote:

Heh. In my world a "Black and tan" is either a drink (half Guinness and
half ale) or a British soldier from the period of the Irish War of
Independence (1919-1921).

So maybe the double entendre makes sense if you know the driver to be
Irish?

Wendy
Old August 9th 03, 05:13 PM
Brandy Kurtz

Wendy Marsden wrote in message ...
I'm driving behind a white GMC Jimmy SUV and it has exactly one bumper
sticker on it that says, "I hunt black and tans". I'm looking at this
with my mouth open thinking they MUST be talking about dogs, they
can't really be talking about lynching, can they? I look closer to see if
there's a tiny "with" in there. Nope, but there's a silhouette which I
finally figure out (at a stop light when I can study it) is a dog barking
up a tree trunk.

I told my husband how scandalized I was by the poor taste of this bumper
sticker. He said that he didn't take it that way and he couldn't imagine
that the people who put that bumper sticker up thought that way. I said
that the double entendre was the whole POINT of putting up that bumper
sticker. He said I was off my rocker and way too cynical.

Opinions? Am I just nuts to think anyone would be that horrid? I *do*
tend to be cynical (and that's a trait my husband deplores.) I'm also
putting together a study unit on the Restoration of the American South
through to the Civil Rights movement, so racism is on my mind.

Wendy, see red

I probably would have thought the same thing as you! I am not up to
date about dog breeds, so I would have never figured it out.

Brandy
Old August 9th 03, 05:47 PM
P. Tierney

"Iuil" wrote:

Heh. In my world a "Black and tan" is either a drink (half Guinness and
half ale)

So how does that work -- are they just mixed and stirred together in
the same glass? I like my Guinness quite a bit, but I've never tried
mixing it with anything.

P.
Tierney

Old August 9th 03, 06:05 PM
K, T, E & N

As a person living in the 'South' my take would be that this is a reference
to beer preference by the driver.

Kim

Old August 9th 03, 08:01 PM
Iuil

"P. Tierney" wrote

Heh. In my world a "Black and tan" is either a drink (half Guinness and
half ale)

So how does that work -- are they just mixed and stirred together in
the same glass? I like my Guinness quite a bit, but I've never tried
mixing it with anything.

I have no idea - I can't stand Guinness!

Jean

--
"And he said:
Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of
Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and
though they are with you, yet they belong not to you." Khalil Gibran

Return address is unread. Replies to firstnamelastname @eircom.net.

Old August 9th 03, 08:01 PM
Iuil

"Wendy Marsden" wrote

Heh. In my world a "Black and tan" is either a drink (half Guinness and
half ale) or a British soldier from the period of the Irish War of
Independence (1919-1921).

So maybe the double entendre makes sense if you know the driver to be
Irish?

Oooh yeah. But still not PC :-).

Jean

Old August 9th 03, 08:47 PM
Cheryl S.

Iuil wrote in message

"Barbara Bomberger" wrote

A black and tan is a dog (usualoly used for hunting, but the
description of my beagle colors are black and tan(

Heh. In my world a "Black and tan" is either a drink (half
Guinness and half ale) or a British soldier from the period
of the Irish War of Independence (1919-1921).

I was looking to see if anyone else said they thought of beer, not
people, when they read "black and tan". Glad to know I'm not the only
one. :-)
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 4 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old August 9th 03, 08:52 PM
dejablues

I asked my husband what he would think if he saw such a sticker and he said
"Yuengling!" That's a local brewery that brews a Black and Tan kind of
beer.

"K, T, E & N" wrote in message
Or hunting raccoons.

Old August 9th 03, 09:07 PM
P. Tierney

"Sue" wrote in message
P. Tierney wrote in message
So how does that work -- are they just mixed and stirred together in
the same glass? I like my Guinness quite a bit, but I've never tried
mixing it with anything.

You need a quite a large beer glass for this. You pour in the Guiness

first,
then with an upside down spoon held over the glass, you slowly pour the

pale
ale over the spoon. The result will be that there is a distinct separation
of the beer at first, but as you drink it, they obviously will be mixed
together. )

Ah, interesting. I think it'll make the menu tonight. Thx. ;-)

P. Tierney