another weird nursing habit

Old September 17th 03, 04:14 AM
K.B.

Default another weird nursing habit

My baby will be 5 months soon. He has been sticking his finger in the side
of his mouth while he's nursing. He rolls his finger in there. It's so weird
and it pinches my nipple. Plus he doesn't get a good suction and he slurps
milk. I don't know if his gums bother him or he just likes the way it feels
to suck his finger and nipple together. I hold his hand but he gets it away
and puts it there real fast.
Kris

Old September 17th 03, 05:05 AM
Marie

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 03:14:06 GMT, "K.B." wrote:
My baby will be 5 months soon. He has been sticking his finger in the side
of his mouth while he's nursing. He rolls his finger in there. It's so weird
and it pinches my nipple. Plus he doesn't get a good suction and he slurps
milk. I don't know if his gums bother him or he just likes the way it feels
to suck his finger and nipple together. I hold his hand but he gets it away
and puts it there real fast.

Can you try swaddling him? That is what I do to prevent other habits.
Bethany would stick her finger in her mouth as she was dozing off.
Once she realized the nipple wasn't in there she put her hand down and
latched back on.
Marie
Old September 17th 03, 05:13 PM
Melissa

DD does this too. I usually hold her hand while nursing so that she can't
slip her thumb in her mouth. When she's not doing that, she's swinging her
arm and hitting me, so the hand holding thing is really useful. I don't want
to swaddle her when nursing because (a) I don't want to do that when NIP and
(b) swaddling is a signal that it's time to sleep and I don't want to
confuse her.

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

link.net...

Old September 17th 03, 10:14 PM
JoAnna

"Melissa" wrote in message
DD does this too. I usually hold her hand while nursing so that she can't
slip her thumb in her mouth. When she's not doing that, she's swinging her
arm and hitting me, so the hand holding thing is really useful. I don't

want
to swaddle her when nursing because (a) I don't want to do that when NIP

and
(b) swaddling is a signal that it's time to sleep and I don't want to
confuse her.

i didn't know people swaddled older babies!! i on;y did in the 1st few weeks
my babies were home - when they had flailing arms and legs it helped them to
sleep. I can't imagine wrapping up a 5 month old...

just found this interesting...
JoAnna

Old September 20th 03, 04:41 AM
Marie

"Melissa" wrote in message
DD does this too. I usually hold her hand while nursing so that she can't
slip her thumb in her mouth. When she's not doing that, she's swinging her
arm and hitting me, so the hand holding thing is really useful. I don't

want
to swaddle her when nursing because (a) I don't want to do that when NIP

and
(b) swaddling is a signal that it's time to sleep and I don't want to
confuse her.

Piggybacking...
I only swaddle when I'm getting her to sleep. The rest of the time I
don't, I just put up with my nose getting picked and my breast getting
pinched or feet in my mouth ;o) If I tried to hold her hand down she
will stop nursing and scream. Before I started swaddling her again (I
did as a newborn but stopped at about 2 months and started back later)
she would get so upset at me holding her arm or hand down and I ended
up putting mittens on her hands from her pinching me so bad.
I wouldn't mind swaddling to NIP (though it wouldn't be a good job of
swaddling doing it standing up) but she doesn't NIP much anymore. The
world is just too exciting nowadays.
Marie
Old September 20th 03, 04:42 AM
Marie

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:14:51 GMT, "JoAnna"
wrote:
i didn't know people swaddled older babies!! i on;y did in the 1st few weeks
my babies were home - when they had flailing arms and legs it helped them to
sleep. I can't imagine wrapping up a 5 month old...

I didn't swaddle my older two past a few weeks and I had stopped with
Bethany after a few weeks, but I realized later that she went to sleep
with less fighting and physical harassment of me if she were swaddled.
My friend's mom swaddled her until she was 2! To me that seems pretty
big but you do what you must.
Marie