ER nurses -- rant

Old September 19th 03, 10:54 PM
Jan Andrea

Default ER nurses -- rant

My friend took her 16-month-old to the ER today, after he fell off the bed
and bit deeply into his lower lip. He didn't need stitches or anything, but
as they were checking out, she asked the nurse whether it would be okay to
breastfeed him, thinking more of the pain aspect than anything else. The
nurse actually told her that she *shouldn't* (yep, should *not!*) nurse him,
because the milk would breed an infection! She called me up for moral
support when she got home, as she knows I am an ardent breastfeeding
advocate, and asked if this sounded right to me -- it didn't to her, and
rightfully so. Isn't breastfeeding about the *best* thing she can do for
him right now?

She said he nursed for about an hour solid when they got home, and I said
that was wonderful, and it would probably be good if she could spread a
little breastmilk on his lip to help it heal. I also opined that she should
write a letter to the hospital and tell them about the stupid advice the ER
nurses are giving. I can see not wanting to give cow's milk -- that does go
yucky pretty quickly, and I would imagine that having cow's milk in the
incision would be a bad thing. But breastmilk? It's full of antibodies!
Everyone here knows it's great for healing! Why are ER nurses so far behind
that they would tell her not to breastfeed her hurting baby?

She's going to write to the hospital's LC, who gave her a lot of help when
her son was born 5 weeks early, and tell them that they should do a training
workshop on BFing issues for the ER nurses as well. I'm just astounded at
the ignorance out there. I've ranted before about my MIL, who is a nurse
and would spout such nonsense as "Why do women need LC's? What's the
mystery? Put the baby on your tit and let 'em nurse!" AND she works the
maternity and pediatric wards. Drives me bonkers.

Another reason to have a homebirth, I suppose

Jan
--
Mum to Stephen, 22 May 2000
and Strychnine, EDD 29 September 2003

Old September 20th 03, 03:59 AM
jennifer

My friend took her 16-month-old to the ER today, after he fell off the bed
and bit deeply into his lower lip.

I hope your little friend is doing better!

I remember an ER nurse balking at me and telling me that my (then) 4-month-old
should be going at least 4 hours between feeds. I wasn't quite the lactivist
then that I am now, so I just said, "Well, mine doesn't," but I made sure that
I let the LC on staff know what she said. I also gave what-for over the ER doc
telling me I couldn't nurse over the course of two days while taking Augmentin
(IV antibiotic, I think that's what it was).

jennifer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Necromancer with a chaser of werewolf; a drink to make any vampire giddy."
Jean-Claude, Master Vampire
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I hugged you until you were not frozen anymore."
~Dana Scully to Fox Mulder

Old September 20th 03, 08:59 AM
Herself

Jan Andrea wrote:

I've ranted before about my MIL, who is a nurse
and would spout such nonsense as "Why do women need LC's? What's the
mystery? Put the baby on your tit and let 'em nurse!" AND she works the
maternity and pediatric wards. Drives me bonkers.

Eep! Good on you for holding your head up then!
--
Meself
mom to P, 23/12/01
Old September 21st 03, 06:32 AM
Larry McMahan

Jan Andrea writes:

: Another reason to have a homebirth, I suppose

Well, at leat it's pretty clear you shouldn't be birthing in the ER!

Larry