My New Pet Peeve

Old September 16th 03, 08:05 PM
badgirl

Default My New Pet Peeve

"New York Jen" wrote in message
et...
So now that Laszlo is quickly entering his terrible two's (is there

really
such a thing?) - he has these "moments" that are less than ideal
behavior-wise. For example, wherever we are, he demands that either

DH or I
hold him while we're standing up...no sitting, no stroller, nada!

And of
course, when he doesn't get his way, he screams. So, here's the pet

peeve:
people who say, "What are you doing to that child?" while the kid is
screaming or even after, as if it's a joke. Ha ha, very funny. So

funny I
forgot to laugh. So today when my neighbor asked me if that's

Laszlo she
hears screaming lately (turns out it's actually our neighbor's kid,

but I
only realized that after the fact), and followed it with, "What are

you
DOING to him?" - I quickly responded, "Shoving bamboo under his
fingernails." And I said it with a smile.

People are so stupid.

Just had to vent, thanks,

Jen

Yep, Nicolas at 16 months is already getting to that stage. YOU"RE NOT
HOLDING ME!!!!!!! I WANT UP NOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!
If I don't pick him up immediately he throws himself on the floor and
screams and kicks, real tears, banging his head on the floor on the
way down etc etc. It can be enough to drive me insane sometimes. The
FIRST person to comment about it aside from anyone who lives here that
is, is going to get a bonk to the noggin LOL. Fortunately my MIL is
here every Sunday and sees him do it so I know she won't say anything
to me

Jen,
*who can totally sympathize*

Old September 16th 03, 08:28 PM
Nikki

New York Jen wrote:
So now that Laszlo is quickly entering his terrible two's (is there
really such a thing?)

Let me assure you that there is, Lol.

For example, wherever we are, he demands that
either DH or I hold him while we're standing up...no sitting, no
stroller, nada! And of course, when he doesn't get his way, he
screams.

I can sympathize. Hold me in a specific position, lay in bed next to me in
a specific position, sit in a specific chair. They just want to orchastrate
the entire world! Hope the busy bodies zip their lips. I've never had
anyone say that to me!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old September 16th 03, 09:09 PM
She's A Goddess

"New York Jen" wrote in message
et...
So now that Laszlo is quickly entering his terrible two's (is there really
such a thing?) -

Yup there is. And IME its all centered around their ability to control
their environment. Expect much more "No THIS way" and "No I do it!" and my
favorite "Need HELP NOW" while screaming.

only realized that after the fact), and followed it with, "What are you
DOING to him?" - I quickly responded, "Shoving bamboo under his
fingernails." And I said it with a smile.

Good for you! I feel for your pet peeve. When people start looking at me I
just glare back and say she's two.

--
Rhiannon
Madison Sophia - 9/6/01

Old September 16th 03, 09:28 PM
Nikki

DGoree wrote:

So on behalf of all of us with temperamental toddlers, thanks to your
mother for the ringing endorsement of our parenting skills. :-/

Ah well, in one ear out the other :-D. I had/have one of each (amazingly
mellow agreeable 2yo and an amazingly independent tempermental 2yo) so I'm
in the DNA camp with you!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old September 17th 03, 05:56 AM
Dawn Lawson

Stephanie Stowe wrote:
"New York Jen" wrote in message
et...

So now that Laszlo is quickly entering his terrible two's (is there really
such a thing?) -

My child has never had anything remotely resembling terrible twos. My mother
says they are a myth of ****ty parenting.

My goodness. Niiiiiice. THAT's what Jen wants to hear. :-P''''

Hey Jen....two is hard...not enuf vocabulary, too little to be big, too
big to be little. Hang in there.

hold him while we're standing up...no sitting, no stroller, nada! And of
course, when he doesn't get his way, he screams.

Bummer to be him. That would be my attitude anyway.

Wasn't it you just speaking of an offensive tone in another post????

Dawn

Old September 17th 03, 05:57 AM
Dawn Lawson

Kereru wrote:
"New York Jen" wrote in message

people who say, "What are you doing to that child?" while the kid is
screaming or even after, as if it's a joke. Ha ha, very funny. So funny

I often find that a comment like that can be quite good. If Hamish is
screaming (he's 2 as well) an someone says "what are you doing to him" I
usually take it as a joke.

How about "Waiting for him to be three?"

Old September 17th 03, 02:26 PM
New York Jen

Yeah, it's not the tantrum stuff that's getting to me as much as the stupid
comments I'm getting from strangers while it's going on.

"toypup" wrote in message

[...]

Don't worry. When DS does that, I just let him vent. I might take him

out
of a restaurant, but I just let him lie on the ground and scream outside.
People never ask me what I'm doing to him as it's obvious I'm not doing
anything but standing there. Some people do chuckle, but I think they're
chuckling because they've BTDT. I myself do find some humor in it and

don't
really get upset when DS is like that. I'm not a Type A personality,
either, never in a hurry to get anywhere, always schedule enough time to

get
places with plenty to spare. Don't know your personality, but if you're
stressed about getting things done, it makes it harder to sit back and

relax
when they are tantruming.

Old September 17th 03, 02:27 PM
New York Jen

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

Stephanie Stowe wrote:
[...]

Thanks...I really love when someone here sticks up for me. Makes me feel
good. :-)

I was just going to ignore the post, but I am appreciative that you did not.

- Jen

Old September 17th 03, 02:43 PM
Nevermind

"New York Jen" wrote in message . net...
So now that Laszlo is quickly entering his terrible two's (is there really
such a thing?) - he has these "moments" that are less than ideal
behavior-wise. For example, wherever we are, he demands that either DH or I
hold him while we're standing up...no sitting, no stroller, nada! And of
course, when he doesn't get his way, he screams. So, here's the pet peeve:
people who say, "What are you doing to that child?" while the kid is
screaming or even after, as if it's a joke.

That sounds to me like an attempt to acknowledge your tough situation
and help out with out by making light and maiking sure you know,
jokingly, that they know that you're NOT doing anything to the child.

I live in a cramped neighborhood and I am very sensitive to my kids'
loud negativity, whether that's a baby crying at night (I have one who
will wake up in the night and cry *in my arms* sometimes) or a toddler
tantruming or an 8 YO yelling his anger about something he isn't
allowed to do or is being made to do. There have been times with my
2nd, who was a tough baby and a tough toddler, when I really did
wonder why noone called the cops on us. Nothing bad was being done to
the child, of course, but she *felt* she was being abused (this was at
2 and 3) and would scream accordingly. If a neighbor had brought it up
to me and made it clear, jokingly, that she knew nothing bad was going
on, I would have felt that the air had been cleared and would have
been grateful about it. However, only you saw the look on your
neighbor's face and heard her tone. That would be key to interpreting
her comments.