My New Pet Peeve

Old September 17th 03, 06:15 PM
Stephanie Stowe

Default My New Pet Peeve

"New York Jen" wrote in message
et...

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

Stephanie Stowe wrote:
"New York Jen" wrote in message
et...

So now that Laszlo is quickly entering his terrible two's (is there

really
such a thing?) -

My child has never had anything remotely resembling terrible twos. My

mother
says they are a myth of ****ty parenting.

My goodness. Niiiiiice. THAT's what Jen wants to hear. :-P''''

Hey Jen....two is hard...not enuf vocabulary, too little to be big, too
big to be little. Hang in there.

hold him while we're standing up...no sitting, no stroller, nada! And

of
course, when he doesn't get his way, he screams.

Bummer to be him. That would be my attitude anyway.

Wasn't it you just speaking of an offensive tone in another post????

Dawn

Dawn,

Thanks...I really love when someone here sticks up for me. Makes me feel
good. :-)

I was just going to ignore the post, but I am appreciative that you did

not.

- Jen

I am sorry. I was not TRYING to be offensive. I re-read my message and even
*I* find it offensive. I am sorry.

Old September 17th 03, 07:53 PM
Sue

I'll chime in that three was a horrible age for all three of mine.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Michelle J. Haines wrote in message
In article ,
says...
So now that Laszlo is quickly entering his terrible two's

IME, three is worse.

Michelle
Flutist

--
In my heart. By my side.
Never apart. AP with Pride!

Old September 17th 03, 10:00 PM
Stephanie Stowe

. ..

Stephanie Stowe wrote:
[...]

P.S. I am not going to try to say what I was trying to say. My husband has a
saying "when in a hole, stop digging."

Old September 17th 03, 10:09 PM
toypup

"New York Jen" wrote in message
et...
Oh Sue, I didn't mean to upset ya! I just mean these people in the mall

who
are scowling under their breath that *I* cannot get my child to calm down,
and instead of asking me what the hell is wrong, instead jokingly place

the
blame on me. As if I have some choice in the screaming toddler's

behavior.

Maybe they don't have kids, or they don't remember what their kids were
like, or they were extremely lucky and their kids were perfect, or they were
abusive parents who threatened the living daylights out of their kids. Any
which way, don't worry about it. People will always find something to judge
you on. Just know that what you do is right.

As a side note, my mom always wanted others to think what a great mom she
was. It was to the point that when someone commented on something, she'd
immediately agree and do whatever it was they told her to do. She could
never stand dissaproval from anyone, especially her friends. It drove us
nuts, because the comments were often about something we were doing that
they didn't approve of, so we'd be in trouble. We'd normally not get in
trouble for it, so it was terribly unfair. Like once, we were at a liquor
store, her friends spotted us there and said, "You let your kids go that
far??" The answer should have been, "Yes, all the time. It's not far at
all." but she answered, "No." We were immediately in trouble for it. Drove
us crazy, because we knew what she believed and we knew we were in trouble
for what her friends believed, just so she wouldn't look bad. Not that you
do any of this, just that you should do what you believe is right and forget
what others are saying, especially the strangers. They don't have to walk
in your shoes.

Old September 18th 03, 05:37 AM
Dawn Lawson

Shannon G wrote:
people who say, "What are you doing to that child?" while the kid is
screaming or even after, as if it's a joke. Ha ha, very funny. So

funny

I often find that a comment like that can be quite good. If Hamish is
screaming (he's 2 as well) an someone says "what are you doing to him" I
usually take it as a joke.

How about "Waiting for him to be three?"

Uh oh, my 3 year old is more challenging at three than he was at 2. I'm
finding the "odd" years more difficult than the even's. Anyone else?

Well, ok, you can wait for four ;-)

Old September 18th 03, 08:02 PM
Emily Roysdon

Irene wrote:
Emily Roysdon wrote in message ...

Michelle J. Haines wrote:

In article ,
says...

So now that Laszlo is quickly entering his terrible two's

IME, three is worse.

Bwahahaha! I was going to say that too, but it didn't seem all that
supportive. I think kids hit stages at different times, and some can
coast through age 2 and then really broadside you at age 3. Noah was
the most difficult at age 4, I think, while Rebekah has decided that 3
is her era of terror ;-)

Emily

Thank you - I needed to see that! ;-)

LOL, sorry! Really, she wasn't all that bad at the beginning of age
two, so I think it's all in when it hits, rather than age. It all
coinciding with her not being in the sling, nursing less, etc.: it was
all about independence.

Lately, it seems like when
people ask how Thomas is, my response is, "He's 2. He's very, very
2." I'm really hoping 3 will be better, in his case. Granted, there
are also times when he is incredibly delightful, but there are
times...I once spent almost 20 minutes trying to get him into the
carseat after daycare as he was screaming, "No like Mommy," and I
*know* the people across the street were staring. Fortunately, no one
said anything. I try not to take it personally - when he screams "Go
'way, Mommy" while I'm driving, I'm often tempted to say, "I'm going
away as fast as I can, but you keep following me!"

LOL! Noah has never broken my heart the way Rebekah has, which shows
what a wuss I am :-P She has a way of saying, "I don't want/need you
mom" and I feel so bad about it. Noah used to get teary-eyed thinking
about ever having to grow up and leave home, whereas Rebekah seems to be
planning her big escape every day. Don't get me wrong, I love her to
bits and am happy she has such a strong spirit, but having a second
child really keeps me humble about what's good parenting and what's
personality. A great book to read when dealing with twos and threes and
beyond is Kids, Parents and Power Struggles by Mary Kurcinka
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...96168?v=glance).
I need to get it back from a friend and read it again.

Emily, somewhat enjoying dealing with the softer spirit of a sick child
(and her recovering brother)