Sedentary Kids Have Raised Risk of Chronic Fatigue

Old October 6th 04, 02:56 AM
Roman Bystrianyk

Default Sedentary Kids Have Raised Risk of Chronic Fatigue

http://www.healthsentinel.com/news.p...st_item&id=305

"Sedentary Kids Have Raised Risk of Chronic Fatigue", Reuters, October
5, 2004,
Link: http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=6422062

Playing sports and being active in childhood could help reduce the
risk of suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome later in life,
according to a study on Wednesday.

In research reported online by the British Medical Journal, experts in
London said that the disabling condition which is also known as
myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) is more common in sedentary youngsters.

"Contrary to previous suggestions that high levels of exercise
increase risk, we found that the most sedentary children were at
greatest risk," said Russell Viner of the Royal Free and University
College Medical School.

He added that the finding is further evidence of the need to promote
healthy exercise and reduce sedentary behavior among children.

Viner and his colleagues studied the medical history of 16,567 babies
born in 1970 whose health had been monitored until they were 30 years
old.

Children who had higher levels of exercise had a lower risk, while
being female and from a higher social class seemed to increase the
chance of the illness.

But there was no association with academic ability, obesity, birth
order, psychological problems and allergies.

The symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) are similar to those of
influenza.

But unlike influenza, the headache, tender lymph nodes, weakness,
muscle and joint aches and inability to concentrate, continue for six
months and longer.

Sufferers -- more often women than men -- are often too tired to do
normal activities and feel exhausted. In the United States an
estimated 500,000 people have the illness, according to the Centers
for Disease Control and Prevention.

"We found no evidence to support the suggestion that chronic illness,
whether physical or mental, in either parent is common among
adolescents with CFS/ME," Viner added.