nipple confusion -- urgent!

Old April 6th 04, 06:17 PM
Sara

Default nipple confusion -- urgent!

This is from the mom of one of Ollie's playmates:

Hello everyone,
I'm seeking a bit of advice again...
My son Logan, 13 weeks, is refusing to take the bottle.* For three straight
days, I've tried giving him a bottle, (sadly, starving him) for up to 5 1/2
hours and have made very very little progress.** The crazy thing is that he
actually used to have all his meals thru a bottle when I had latch-on
problems and now my problem is reversed.* Does anyone have any helpful hints
for me?** I have to go back to work next month and am very scared he'll*never
do it or that I'll dehydrate him in the process of trying.
Desperate,
Jenn C.

She has a lactation consultant she can talk to, but the more help the
better. (I'm going to send her a Google Groups URL when all the
helpful replies start coming in.)

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
Old April 6th 04, 06:25 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Sara wrote:

My son Logan, 13 weeks, is refusing to take the bottle.

He's old enough to drink from a valveless sippy, or even an open cup,
isn't he? I wouldn't worry about starvation unless DCPs are utterly
unwilling to feed from anything but a bottle - and even then, he might
take a bottle just fine from them.

Phoebe

Old April 6th 04, 06:49 PM
Mary W.

Sara wrote:

This is from the mom of one of Ollie's playmates:

Hello everyone,
I'm seeking a bit of advice again...
My son Logan, 13 weeks, is refusing to take the bottle. For three straight
days, I've tried giving him a bottle, (sadly, starving him) for up to 5 1/2
hours and have made very very little progress. The crazy thing is that he
actually used to have all his meals thru a bottle when I had latch-on
problems and now my problem is reversed. Does anyone have any helpful hints
for me? I have to go back to work next month and am very scared he'll never
do it or that I'll dehydrate him in the process of trying.
Desperate,
Jenn C.

She has a lactation consultant she can talk to, but the more help the
better. (I'm going to send her a Google Groups URL when all the
helpful replies start coming in.)

Sara, you can probably google things like " baby won't take a bottle"
"bottle rejection" etc and get lots of suggestions.

Some quick ones: Mom shouldn't be trying to give the baby a bottle-
why drink from the bottle if mom is there? In fact, she may just have
to leave the house for awhile. She should try different nipples. DD
only took the playtex nurser and just barely. There are tons of different
shaped bottles/ nipples out there. She should try different
temperatures - warmer than you would think. DD would only take
the bottle if she was distracted and wasn't held - so our nanny would
prop her up in her carseat, put on the baby mozart video and sneak
the bottle in when DD was watching the video. Some babies
like to be held in the nursing position, some do better if they are
facing outward. I think someone here could only get their baby to
take a bottle if she covered her eyes with a cloth diaper.

The baby will probably do OK with the caregiver, although
the caregiver may need alot of patience. If mom can nurse
at lunch, baby would probably be OK the rest of the day.
Even at her peak bottle consumption, I think my daughter
only took 8-10 ounces. And I was gone all day. This
did mean she reverse cycle nursed
(she nursed all night long!) which was hard, but it was really
OK. Things got easier when she started solids and was less
dependent on the bottle.

Best of luck to your friend.

Mary

Old April 6th 04, 06:53 PM
Shannon

Try:

1. Different temperatures
2. Different nipple shapes on the bottle
3. Different people feeding (most breastfed babies will not take a bottle
from Mom)
3. Different feeding positions - my DS wouldn't take a bottle nestled in the
nursing position but would happily if he were sitting in a baby bucket.

Can you practice at the DC place? Like, leave him there for an hour or two
just to see how he does? Sometimes, they are just so practiced, that the
babies respond to them better than family members (for bottle feeding,
anyway).

-Shannon

Old April 6th 04, 07:30 PM
Nikki

Shannon wrote:
Try:

1. Different temperatures
2. Different nipple shapes on the bottle
3. Different people feeding (most breastfed babies will not take a
bottle from Mom)
3. Different feeding positions - my DS wouldn't take a bottle nestled
in the nursing position but would happily if he were sitting in a
baby bucket.

and...

different nipple flows
different places (like outside or something unexpected)
fresh milk
cups (without the valve)
straws

In the end my first never did take a bottle and he still got plenty of milk.
He did reverse cycle and nursed all night long.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old April 7th 04, 04:23 AM
Irene

"Mary W." wrote in message ...
to leave the house for awhile. She should try different nipples. DD

only took the playtex nurser and just barely.

It seems like an awful lot of the babies who don't like bottles ended
up on the Playtex nurser system, so I'd definitely give that a try.
(Of course, I may just think that because ds ended up on them, too!)

I have to admit, I ended up letting the dcp do most of the work on
this one - I figured she was the one who had the most motivation to
make it work, and it was driving dh bonkers.

Irene
Old April 7th 04, 04:56 AM
nina

"Irene" wrote in message
om...
"Mary W." wrote in message

to leave the house for awhile. She should try different nipples. DD

only took the playtex nurser and just barely.

It seems like an awful lot of the babies who don't like bottles ended
up on the Playtex nurser system, so I'd definitely give that a try.
(Of course, I may just think that because ds ended up on them, too!)

I've tried lots of bottles and nipples, the only one my daughter can manage
is
the Playtex natural action nipple.It also helps in that you can press the
bag and increase the
liquid flow, that made it easier for my daughter to figure out what the
bottle was for.

Old April 7th 04, 02:41 PM
Mary W.

Irene wrote:

"Mary W." wrote in message ...
to leave the house for awhile. She should try different nipples. DD

only took the playtex nurser and just barely.

It seems like an awful lot of the babies who don't like bottles ended
up on the Playtex nurser system, so I'd definitely give that a try.
(Of course, I may just think that because ds ended up on them, too!)

I always recommend it to people who are having trouble and it
often works!

I have to admit, I ended up letting the dcp do most of the work on
this one - I figured she was the one who had the most motivation to
make it work, and it was driving dh bonkers.

I did too. Our nanny was very persistent.

Mary

Old April 7th 04, 07:15 PM
toypup

"Mary W." wrote in message

Irene wrote:

"Mary W." wrote in message

to leave the house for awhile. She should try different nipples. DD
only took the playtex nurser and just barely.

It seems like an awful lot of the babies who don't like bottles ended
up on the Playtex nurser system, so I'd definitely give that a try.
(Of course, I may just think that because ds ended up on them, too!)

I always recommend it to people who are having trouble and it
often works!

That's not the one with the flat, nubby nipple, is it? Or are you talking
about the rubber nipple one with the wide mouth base? We have the one with
the wide mouth base. I like the softness of the rubber, I'm not sure if DD
does. DH has only been able to get DD to take maybe an ounce or two at a
feed so far.

nipple confusion advice toypup Breastfeeding 13 February 19th 04 05:35 AM
When to reintroduce pacifier/bottles after nipple confusion? Lora R Breastfeeding 1 November 19th 03 02:17 PM
Nipple Confusion? Mark Duddridge Breastfeeding 2 September 14th 03 03:49 AM
BF advice Ben Breastfeeding 17 July 25th 03 07:00 PM
How late can nipple confusion occur? Jodie Breastfeeding 9 July 24th 03 05:02 AM