Indiana Father Has No Right To Any Due Process

Old March 2nd 04, 08:51 PM
Andre Lieven

Default Indiana Father Has No Right To Any Due Process

.... Because, after all, hes just a man, and we all know that men
exist solely for the convenience of women and the state...

http://www.southbendtribune.com/stor....20040229-sbt-
FULL-C1-Dad_says.sto

----------------

Dad says he paid all his child support
COMMENTARY

By NANCY J. SULOK
Tribune Columnist

The U.S. Department of the Treasury confiscated most of Ronald T. Salyer's
tax refund earlier this month, ostensibly to pay a child support debt.

It was a mistake, Salyer says, because he actually has overpaid his
support, not underpaid it.

He appealed, and as a result he received the rest of his refund in a check
that arrived Feb. 25. But his appeal raised some issues that remain
unresolved.

Among the main issues is whether the withholding of his refund had been
done in error.

It wasn't a mistake, according to Cindy Collier, director of policy and
planning for Indiana's Family and Social Services Administration. She said
privacy rules prevent her from explaining why the seizure of the money was
proper.

Michael Gotsch, chief deputy prosecutor for St. Joseph County, managed to
shed a little light on the case. The prosecutor's office oversees child
support in the county.

Gotsch indicated that Salyer's ex-wife, Lisa, has been receiving federal
Medicaid services through Hoosier Healthwise. Such aid has to be paid back
eventually, he said, and that might be why the tax refund was seized.

It's hard to figure that out from the paperwork involved in the case. A
letter to Salyer from the Treasury Department says the money was taken for
child support.

Salyer and Lisa were divorced on Jan. 8, 2001. A Circuit Court magistrate
ordered him to pay $97 a week to support the couple's son, who now is 14
years old.

A payment history of his case shows that he has visited the county clerk's
office every week or two since January 2000 to make the payments.

The payment history includes several overpayments. While a normal two-week
payment would be $194, Salyer sometimes paid $200. When he has paid
weekly, he sometimes has rounded up the payment to $100. He said he has
made full payments during periods when his son was with him for vacations,
even though the support agreement allows him to reduce the payments by
half.

Salyer calculated that he has overpaid by about $600.

The payment history includes coding that Salyer thinks is wrong. It
indicates that part of his regular payments were being credited to spousal
maintenance and part to child support.

A judge had ordered Salyer to pay spousal maintenance when he and Lisa
separated in 1999, but the maintenance order was terminated effective Dec.
6, 2000, according to his divorce papers.

Salyer thought at first that the coding error might have led to the
confusion over his tax refund. If his payments were not credited 100
percent as child support, he theorized, his account might have had a
deficit.

Now the question remains whether he is liable for repaying the Hoosier
Healthwise benefits.

Salyer has carried health insurance on their son from the very beginning.
Lisa said the insurance pays most of their son's medical bills, while
Hoosier Healthwise pays for anything not covered by insurance.

She said she enrolled in the federal/state program after her divorce from
Salyer. That doesn't matter, Collier said. If aid was given to Salyer's
son, either before or after the divorce, Salyer still would be liable for
paying it back.

Lisa said Hoosier Healthwise covers her, her son with Salyer, and her two
children with a previous husband. She said she is unable to work because
of a disability.

The Department of the Treasury had seized $4,061 of Salyer's $5,051 tax
refund.

Lisa said she doesn't think Hoosier Healthwise has paid that much for
their son, since most of his bills are covered by private insurance.
Collier said she would make sure her office double-checked the figures.

After appealing the confiscation of his tax refund to the county child
support office, Salyer got a letter dated Feb. 12 from Jennifer Hasbrook,
client services administrator in the Child Support Division, who indicated
a mistake had been made.

About a week later, Salyer received a letter from Cinnamin R. Witherspoon,
inquiry investigator in the child support office. She said a refund
request was forwarded to the state's Child Support Bureau in Indianapolis,
but "it may take six to eight weeks to complete.''

It took only a week for him to receive the refund.

Nancy J. Sulok's columns appear on Sundays, Mondays and Thursdays. You can
reach her at , or by writing c/o South Bend Tribune, 225
W. Colfax Ave., South Bend, IN 46626, telephone (574) 235-6234.
" I'm a man... But, I can change... If I have to... I guess. "
The Man Prayer, Red Green.
Old March 2nd 04, 10:25 PM
Philip Lewis

Disgusting treatment - it seems that there is
a great need for an equivalent Fathers For
Justice (F4J) over the pond - I hope they get
one soon!!
--
Phil
THE mens movement website:-

-----------------------
| --
| " I'm a man... But, I can change... If I
have to... I guess. "
| The Man
Prayer, Red Green.

Old March 2nd 04, 10:25 PM
Philip Lewis

-----------------------
| --
| " I'm a man... But, I can change... If I
have to... I guess. "
| The Man
Prayer, Red Green.

Old March 2nd 04, 10:25 PM
Philip Lewis

-----------------------
| --
| " I'm a man... But, I can change... If I
have to... I guess. "
| The Man
Prayer, Red Green.

Old March 4th 04, 04:20 AM
Chris

"Philip Lewis" wrote in message
Disgusting treatment - it seems that there is
a great need for an equivalent Fathers For
Justice (F4J) over the pond - I hope they get
one soon!!

Don't hold your breath. AmeriKa is the land of "fathers are dangerous to
their children".

--
Phil
THE mens movement website:-

-----------------------
| --
| " I'm a man... But, I can change... If I
have to... I guess. "
| The Man
Prayer, Red Green.

Old March 4th 04, 04:20 AM
Chris

-----------------------
| --
| " I'm a man... But, I can change... If I
have to... I guess. "
| The Man
Prayer, Red Green.

Old March 4th 04, 04:20 AM
Chris

-----------------------
| --
| " I'm a man... But, I can change... If I
have to... I guess. "
| The Man
Prayer, Red Green.

Old March 4th 04, 10:37 PM
Philip Lewis

wrote in message

| Disgusting treatment - it seems that
there is
| a great need for an equivalent Fathers
For
| Justice (F4J) over the pond - I hope they
get
| one soon!!
|
| Don't hold your breath. AmeriKa is the land
of "fathers are dangerous to
| their children".

Yep - all meat for those willing to
orchestrate publicity grabbing campaigns of
civil disobedience.

Phil
THE mens movement website:-
http://www.angryharry.com/