training bras

Old February 17th 04, 03:26 PM
beeswing

Default training bras

Marjorie wrote:

My feeling is, ask every once in a while, and if your daughter doesn't
show any interest, then don't push it.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

And tell your friend to MYOB and stop pushing YOUR child to grow up.

This lady isn't a friend, she's a stranger to me -- that's the worst part of
it. But *YES,* definitely.

beeswing

Old February 17th 04, 03:43 PM
beeswing

Rosalie wrote:

Maybe it might be a good idea to ask around to other moms that you DO
know. Has she done this to other girls?

I don't know any of the moms. Our daughter's best friend is raised by her dad,
who is doing the very best he can in areas such as these but is honestly even
more clueless than we are. My husband did ask him if his daughter had brought
the whole bra subject up, though, and she had, for whatever that's worth.

So if it had been up to me, I would never have worn a bra (regardless
- and athletics was not a part of my life), even after I would have
failed the pencil test. I was very protected and clueless about sex
and if my mom had asked me I would have rejected the idea of a bra
too. So you can't always rely on the girl to know when she needs to
wear a bra.

Yeah, I'm getting some hints from my daughter that she's not going to be
particularly helpful in this area. She's totally oblivious about her
body...which can cause us other problems down the road if she doesn't "wake up"
a little.

beeswing

Old February 17th 04, 07:45 PM
Rosalie B.

Cheryl wrote:

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:55:18 EST, (beeswing) wrote:

Cheryl wrote:

Well, my mum knew when I asked for one. She very carefully explained
to me that it wasn't necessary for me to have one when I first asked
for one since I had no breasts at all and asked me if I would be happy
with a camisole top with bra style adjustable straps. Since I
actually wanted it for the way it looked under clothes rather than
needing one this was a good solution for me at the time. Eventually I
started bouncing a little when I would do sport so I bought a bra then
for comfort. I think when a girl needs it for comfort during activity
is the best time to start.

How old were you when you actually wanted one? I actually can't remember *ever*
wanting a bra.

I honestly cannot remember. I know when I needed one was definitely by
the time I was in year 9, which was by about 15 since I was older than
most kids in my class. It may have been at 14, but definitely not
before 13. However there were some girls in my class who were wearing
bras when we started high school (in Australia there is no junior
high, so it's around age 12-13, 8th year of formal schooling), the

My sister and I developed fairly early (and remember Annette Funicello
from the Mouseketeers). I know that my sister's husband discussed
whether my sister wore a bra when she was in 7th grade (which was then
in Junior High). It was reported to her by a friend who said that he
had asked her about it - they had to get into gym uniforms so the
girls could see what other girls were or were not wearing and he
wanted to know which girls were wearing them. I think she was a 34B
at that time, and she would have been only about 11 years old because
she skipped first grade.

Girls that I taught in the 6th grade were often fairly well developed,
and one of the girls in my homeroom (that I was teaching) had to drop
out because she got pregnant. I know that by 12 I NEEDED a bra. By
the time I was about 14, I was wearing a 34D.

My mom took me to a corset lady who taught me how to put a bra on
correctly, and how to tell if it fitted right. I don't know if there
are any of these ladies around anymore. (Someone like Mrs. -- blanked
on her name-- on Are You Being Served.) About the only things I could
wear were Bali bras.

majority started wearing them by the end of that year or the beginning
of the next. So I probably asked for one about halfway through year
7, so at around age 13 and actually needed one about a year later.

However girls do seem to be maturing faster now than all those many
years ago (ha ha) when I was at school, I wouldn't be surprised at 11
and 12 year olds needing bras. 9 seems very young for it though, it
sounds more like a societal pressure than an actual requirement. The
fact that they are being sold in major department stores with sizes
for 8-10 year olds may be enough to convince some adults and their
daughters that they are necessary but I don't think they really are
for most girls at that age.

I don't think that girls are necessarily maturing faster on the
average. They've been saying that for years. We were given 'the
talk' in my day in the 5th grade. That would have been in 1947.

grandma Rosalie

Old February 17th 04, 08:47 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
beeswing wrote:

*Cheryl wrote:
*
*Yeah. That's why mum went for offering me a camisole. Something
*between my skin and the white shirt that didn't look like a kiddie
*vest/singlet.
*
*Got it, now. That actually was what I was looking for but couldn't exactly
*find.
*
*(I think I'm having a bit of a language difficulty he I've never heard the
*terms "kiddie vest" or "singlet." I'm trying to translate them by context.)

I was recently informed by one of my Antipodean friends that a "singlet"
is a "tank top." FWIW.

Old February 17th 04, 09:20 PM
Beeswing

x-no-archive: yes

My husband was going to Penney's today. Long ago I told my daughter we'd
buy her some undershirts to see if she wanted to wear some, so I had him
pick her up a three-pack. I wish that was all I'd done in the first
place.

I can just visualize my daughter as an adult talking to a therapist,
explaining how her clueless mother ruined her entire life by putting her
on the spot by bringing home crop bras when she was only 9. While I
don't see a therapist about it , I have to admit that I have some
pretty strong memories of the one bra-related faux pas my mother pulled.

*SIGH.* It's darn hard to be a good parent. It involves an awful lot of
fishing around in the dark.

Thanks for folk's comments and input. I'm basically ready to stop
thinking about this one for a while.

beeswing

Old February 17th 04, 09:48 PM
Marijke

That's probably the best solution but I, being who I am, would come right
out and ask that woman why she thought a bra would be an approprite gift for
my child.

While I'm not one who made a big deal about buying one for my daughter (we
didn't make a mother/daughter thing, it just happened), I would be offended
if another parent, who I didn't even know, went ahead and bought one for
her. It's just too weird. Now, if a close friend suggested it, that would be
different, in my mind, but a stranger? Buying a bra for your daughter? And
giving it through her daughter? That is just too weird.

Marijke
in Montreal

Old February 17th 04, 09:49 PM
Beeswing

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
In ,
beeswing wrote:

*Cheryl wrote:
*
*Yeah. That's why mum went for offering me a camisole. Something
*between my skin and the white shirt that didn't look like a kiddie
*vest/singlet.
*
*Got it, now. That actually was what I was looking for but couldn't

exactly
*find.
*
*(I think I'm having a bit of a language difficulty he I've never

heard the
*terms "kiddie vest" or "singlet." I'm trying to translate them by

context.)

I was recently informed by one of my Antipodean friends that a

"singlet"
is a "tank top." FWIW.

So, in Australian, how does a "singlet" differ from a "camisole"? That's
where I'm getting confused. I thought camisoles and tanktops were the
same thing, at least in the realm of undergarments.

beeswing

Old February 18th 04, 02:24 AM
beeswing

Martijke wrote:

That's probably the best solution but I, being who I am, would come right
out and ask that woman why she thought a bra would be an approprite gift for
my child.

My husband talked with her briefly about that while she was on the phone. I
think it comes down to a difference in culture plus a large dose of
busybodiness on her part. I don't know the woman and really don't wish to talk
with her further about it.

It seems weird to me, too. But I'm ready to drop the issue and move on.

beeswing

..

Old February 18th 04, 10:23 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Beeswing wrote:

*So, in Australian, how does a "singlet" differ from a "camisole"? That's
*where I'm getting confused. I thought camisoles and tanktops were the
*same thing, at least in the realm of undergarments.

Well, far be it from me to speak for any extant Australians... but in my
lexicon, a camisole is something like this:

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/comm...ay/?namespace=
productDisplay&origin=onlineProductDisplay.jsp&eve nt=display&
prnbr=KK-165064&cgname=OSCLOCAMZZZ&cgnbr=OSCLOCAMZZZ&rfnbr= 700
&page=2&cgname=OSCLOCAMZZZ&rfnbr=700

aka

http://tinyurl.com/2pom3

whereas a tank top is more like this:

http://www.thestore.adidas.com/cgi-b...urce=&promo=us
prdwa&location=b2c/gateway.w?type%3Ddag%26code%3DAW

aka

http://tinyurl.com/yqrh5

Old February 18th 04, 03:57 PM
beeswing

Hillary wrote:

Well, far be it from me to speak for any extant Australians... but in my
lexicon, a camisole is something like this:
SNIP EXAMPLE
whereas a tank top is more like this:
SNIP EXAMPLE

That may be my problem. I think of *this* as a camisole:

http://www.jockey.com/IWCatProductPa...ection_Id= 19
8&IWCATProduct_Id=83821&showcase=t&Section_parent_ id=198&category=womens

or

http://tinyurl.com/2heml

Now that I look -- sure enough -- while the item shows up in the camisole
category, the picture itself is titled a "tank top."

That same "tank top" is given top honors visually when I click into the women's
camisole category. It's there on the camisole page, the big picture on the
right:

http://www.jockey.com/IWCatSectionVi...erchant_Id =1
&category=womens&Section_parent_id=190&Section_Id= 198

or

http://tinyurl.com/2lpk8

That same item, of course, can also be found under the women's tank top
category -- but for greater confusion, check out what picture *they* have on
the right of the screen (isn't that thing called a "crop bra"?):

http://www.jockey.com/IWCatSectionVi...erchant_Id =1
&Section_Id=197&Section_parent_id=198&category=wom ens

or

http://tinyurl.com/36zc5

*SIGH.*

Stuff like this is enough to drive a non-fashion-maven like me a little crazy.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm kewl enough to be a mom to a young, growing girl...!

Have I gotten off-topic enough for this group, or was the last statement enough
of a tie-in?

beeswing,
who was raised by her dad as a teen

a picture : dolphin training vs. kid training Andy General 0 June 16th 04 12:04 AM
Early Potty Training - any books on this? Rosie General 5 March 8th 04 09:41 PM
night potty 'training' cara General 27 February 2nd 04 09:35 PM
OT - Potty training - can it be child-led? (xpost) Cathy Weeks General 40 November 21st 03 10:05 PM
Stop killing Innocent Puppies! (Petition) The Puppy Wizard General 0 October 10th 03 06:59 PM