Am I risking it?

Old May 19th 04, 03:48 PM
*Kristi*

Default Am I risking it?

"Sophie" wrote in message

"Circe" wrote in message
news:L5uqc.16359$65.9494@lakeread06...
Sara wrote:
ted wrote:

Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

It's a car, isn't it?

So is Aurora, but I think it's a terrific name g!

I guess the problem with Avanti, to my ear, is that it sounds to much

like
the name of a product and not of a person. But I'm not sure everyone

would
hear it that way. They might think the same about Aurora!
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian,

6)

Aurora just makes me think of a town near me. I have no opinion of that
town, I just know there is one with that name.

There's a town called Aurora by me too!
Kristi
Zane's due date June 14, 2004
36w2d

Old May 19th 04, 03:54 PM
*Kristi*

"ted" wrote in message
om...
What's your opinion about a baby girl's name 'Avanti'? I absolutely
love the name. It has a nice meaning in quite a few languages.

Upon a search on this ng I found out about the non-latex brand. I wish
I hadn't searched

Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

Thanks.

It's the name of the salon where I get my hair done!
Kristi
Zane's due date June 14, 2004
36w2d

Old May 19th 04, 04:18 PM
Circe

*Kristi* wrote:
"Sophie" wrote in message
"Circe" wrote in message
Aurora just makes me think of a town near me. I have no opinion
of that town, I just know there is one with that name.

There's a town called Aurora by me too!

There are actually streets in the area we live in called Julian, Aurora and
Vernon. It's pure coincidence, since we lived about 15 miles away when
Julian and Aurora were born. There is also a town called Julian (very
popular as a tourist destination, famous for its apples, suffered badly in
the Cedar Fire last fall) nearby. Aurora, from what I know, is a fairly
common name for a city/town. I think there are some cities/towns named
Vernon, too.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old May 19th 04, 04:21 PM
Circe

LisaBell wrote:
On Tue, 18 May 2004 13:13:20 -0700, "Circe"
wrote:
Sara wrote:
ted wrote:
Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I
name her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

It's a car, isn't it?

So is Aurora, but I think it's a terrific name g!

I guess the problem with Avanti, to my ear, is that it sounds to
much like the name of a product and not of a person. But I'm not
sure everyone would hear it that way. They might think the same
about Aurora!

Aurora makes me think of lights - the aurora borealis.

Funnily enough, it makes *most* people in the US (that I've run into,
anyway) think of the princess in _Sleeping Beauty_. I'm often asked if she
is named after Sleeping Beauty. I explain that she isn't--I didn't even
think of the connection when we named her--and that the only fictional
character we were thinking of when we chose it was Aurora Greenway from
Larry McMurtry's _Terms of Endearment_ (not the movie, though--my husband
can't stand Shirley Maclaine!) and _Evening Star_.

Old May 19th 04, 04:54 PM
Sara

Circe wrote:

I think there are some cities/towns named
Vernon, too.

Yup, a whole bunch of 'em:
http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/gazett...on&state=&zip=

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
Old May 19th 04, 05:15 PM
Mary Gordon

The Italian engineer who sits next to me at the office says it means
Go! Go! Lets go! and of course - its the car
http://www.avantimotors.com/
Not exactly feminine and pretty.

Aurora on the other hand, is the Roman name of the Greek goddess of
the dawn (also known as Eos). http://www.midnight-muse.com/1dawn.htm

Much nicer name for a girl for innumerable reasons.

Mary G.
Old May 19th 04, 05:17 PM
Sophie

Funnily enough, it makes *most* people in the US (that I've run into,
anyway) think of the princess in _Sleeping Beauty_. I'm often asked if she
is named after Sleeping Beauty. I explain that she isn't--I didn't even
think of the connection when we named her--and that the only fictional
character we were thinking of when we chose it was Aurora Greenway from
Larry McMurtry's _Terms of Endearment_ (not the movie, though--my husband
can't stand Shirley Maclaine!) and _Evening Star_.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

I didn't even know Sleeping Beauty had a name, much less that it's Aurora,
till it came up on the group a while ago.

Old May 19th 04, 05:31 PM
Circe

Mary Gordon wrote:
Aurora on the other hand, is the Roman name of the Greek goddess of
the dawn (also known as Eos). http://www.midnight-muse.com/1dawn.htm

That's the primary reason she has the name. I studied Classics in
college/grad school and Aurora is such a lovely, Latin name. Goes with
Julian very well for that reason, too.

Much nicer name for a girl for innumerable reasons.

We certainly like it!

Old May 19th 04, 05:33 PM
Circe

Sophie wrote:
I didn't even know Sleeping Beauty had a name, much less that it's
Aurora, till it came up on the group a while ago.

In most of the movie, she's actually called Briar Rose because the fairies
are trying to hide her from Maleficent. But there's lots and lots of Disney
merchandise out there referring to her as Princess Aurora. I have to say
that my daughter is such a girly girl (where did *that* come from g?) and
loves princesses and princessy things so much that she is delighted to have
the same name as a princess. I truly couldn't have named her more
appropriately.

Old May 19th 04, 10:25 PM
Iuil

"Mary Gordon" wrote
The Italian engineer who sits next to me at the office says it means
Go! Go! Lets go!

Whereas I think of "Avanti Azzuri!" (Go Blues!) - the Italian equivalent of
"Come on Italy" in rugby circles :-).

Jean