clog help needed

Old October 25th 03, 09:27 AM
Dagny

Default clog help needed

This is brief because DD creates time constraints -- DD is eight days old.
My right nipple has a white spot on it and the nipple becomes misshapen
peaking to that spot when DD nurses (clogged duct). I have other symptoms
and am trying to treat with heat -- it's been going on for about 48 hours
and hasn't unclogged yet. Previously we had moved into painless nursing on
both sides, but now the right side burns like the dickens when I nurse. I
think this happened because sweetie moved to 3+ hours in between night
feedings during a period of peak engorgement. We co-sleep. Anyway back to
bed for us. Thanks in advance.

-- Dagny

Old October 25th 03, 03:43 PM
iphigenia

Dagny wrote:
This is brief because DD creates time constraints -- DD is eight days
old. My right nipple has a white spot on it and the nipple becomes
misshapen peaking to that spot when DD nurses (clogged duct).

The white spot sounds like a possble bleb. Check out kellymom's page on
blebs:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/nipplebleb.html

Have you tried laying the baby flat on the bed and getting on hands and
knees over her to nurse? Often the gravity combined with the suction is good
for clearing. If your partner's not averse, a little adult-strength suction
can also help.

Recently heard about an easy way to massage blocks: use an electric
toothbrush (the back, not the bristles!) or a vibrator.

Hope you feel better soon!

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old October 26th 03, 01:51 AM
Cathy

Molly Fisher wrote:
The white spot at the nipple is a common component of a plugged duct.
It's called a bleb or milk blister. I've read that you can carefully
lift it with a sterilized needle. That sounds pretty yikesy to me, but
it's said to help.

Yep, it was the only thing that helped me! I poked it with a needle before
each nursing session for a day or so, and that seemed to help DD clear the
associated plugged duct. I managed to draw blood once (oops!), and got a
bit scared, so smothered it with some anti-bug cream, just in case!

Good luck with getting the duct cleared.

Cathy