Minor vent

Old November 3rd 05, 10:32 PM
Cuddlefish

Default Minor vent

CY wrote:
Don't get too excited here! AFAIK, the kid was fed only once a day on BM
for the past 6 months. My SIL was not at school fulltime, but left my niece
frequently in the care of anyone who'd take her. Nevertheless, my beef
isn't about the weaning as much as the REASON for it.

What reasons would you not have a beef with?

Many women on this newsgroup have posted over the years how
uncomfortable they get with other people [family and friends] making
comments and passing judgements on their breastfeeding choices. It would
solve so many problems if people instead of judging would exercise some
compassion and understanding of another person's point of view or decision.

I do not like being tied down any more than the next person. I miss my
job, and miss my time alone. Should I have not had kids - who knows? I
love my son dearly and could not imagine life without him. To me, having
a child is not the be all and end all of my life. I want to have a life
outside of motherhood. I presume many, many women feel exactly the same way.

Jacqueline
Old November 4th 05, 02:38 AM
JennP

wrote in message ...

I guess that is OK if you want to do in in your personal parenting
style, but I don't think it is useful to push this viewpoint in this
newsgroup, which is more centered on the development of the child.

So, what you are saying is that a variety of opinions on parenting styles
and medical choices aren't welcome here? Sure sounds like it.

JennP.

Old November 4th 05, 10:35 AM
Sue

"JennP" wrote in message
So, what you are saying is that a variety of opinions on parenting styles
and medical choices aren't welcome here? Sure sounds like it.

It sure sounds like it to me. I have to be honest and applaud Sarah's views
and her post and I agree with her 100%. I have been wanting to post about
CY's OP, but I bit my tongue. I found her judgement despicable. I think we
need to support other mothers and stop tearing them down. I think the other
mom has done a great job and if she wants to have a little bit of a life, I
think she deserves it. Being a martyr for a parent never did anyone any
good.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old November 4th 05, 12:05 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"Anne Rogers" wrote:

F (the one in the
middle) was bemoaning the fact that they couldn't just spontaneously fly to
Rome, or similar, me on the other had was thrilled as I've had my children
so young I've not have the time to do these things and I don't miss them. C
had already stopped breastfeeding and had had whole days away from the baby,
F was heavily pregnant and planning to mixed feed from about 2 weeks old
(she exclusively breastfed her first, who never accepted a bottle), her main
reason being she needed the freedom, to be able to go out for an evening, do
things for herself, that kind of thing.

How bizarre. I don't find that having a *baby* stops you from going out --
it's having a 4yo that is a problem. The baby sleeps, but the 4yo wants to be
active.

If I want to go to a movie, the babes-in-arms session is available. Going to
concerts at the Opera House is less do-able, but we've been to free outdoor
concerts instead. No plays/comedy, but I wasn't more than an occasional play-
and comedy-goer anyway.

I'm sorry for the kids, CY. I hope (though I don't think it's likely) that
the parents take turns getting smashed so that *one* of them is competent in
case of emergency.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old November 4th 05, 04:35 PM
Cuddlefish

Akuvikate wrote:
And as one of the other pediatricians posting to this newsgroup I will
say good for Sarah for standing up and saying these things. Most of
the time I agree spot on with her. However I'm somewhat more defeatist
and don't want to sink my energy into things where I don't expect it to
change anything. There's a strong culture to this group and I don't
bother to post if I expect that no one would listen to what I have to
say. My time and energy are quite limited these days and that shapes
my participation.

Kate, I listen! The 'culture' of this group has not stopped me reading
those posts that are very informative to me.

Even though we don't post as much as some others, I can assure you the
'counter culture' is alive and well and very receptive in this group! :-)

Jacqueline
Old November 4th 05, 05:00 PM

Cuddlefish wrote:
Akuvikate wrote:
And as one of the other pediatricians posting to this newsgroup I will
say good for Sarah for standing up and saying these things. Most of
the time I agree spot on with her. However I'm somewhat more defeatist
and don't want to sink my energy into things where I don't expect it to
change anything. There's a strong culture to this group and I don't
bother to post if I expect that no one would listen to what I have to
say. My time and energy are quite limited these days and that shapes
my participation.

Kate, I listen! The 'culture' of this group has not stopped me reading
those posts that are very informative to me.

Even though we don't post as much as some others, I can assure you the
'counter culture' is alive and well and very receptive in this group! :-)

Jacqueline

Too right. I wrotea longer reply to Larry but decided I didn't want to
get into it too much. I fear that his attitude will drive those away
who need help but don't subscribe to his particular brand of parenting.
I have found a wealth of info here that got me through my problems with
bf and more. It was all practical advice that had nothing to do with
how I chose to parent - more about why my ds's poo was green. I can
filter out Larryness like white noise but when it starts putting off
people like Kate then it's a real shame.

Thinking about it I think Larry is doing the posters on here a
diservice. Although there is a culture that is dominant that doesn't
stop those who follow it giving alternative suggestions that might not
suit their own style. I could not recall who I gleaned useful advice
from but I'm sure it has come from a good selection of posters,
regardless of their parenting style.

Jeni