It's difficult not to compare

Old November 7th 05, 10:57 AM
Sophie

Default It's difficult not to compare

My twins are 6 months old, and they are really really different from each
other. Boy/Girl, fair hair/dark hair, teeth/no teeth, mobile/less mobile !
Whenever one of them manages to do something, it's really hard not to expect
the same from the other one, KWIM ?
How do you manage, LOL ?

Sophie
Mummy to Héloïse, 3 yo
Caroline and Alexandre, 6 months

Old November 7th 05, 03:44 PM
Chele

Sophie,

I feel the same way. It is really hard to not compare my girls...I think I
do it naturally or by habit. In fact, I have a tendency to compare my twins
to my older kids, as fas as what they did at this age!

I just keep reminding myself that they are individuals and on their own
schedules. I don't know what else to do other than that!

Chele

Old November 7th 05, 05:04 PM
Julie

I think it is a Boy/Girl thing, as far as who does what first at least in my
opinion. Ashleigh was Baby A and she has been the strongest from the get
go. She dominated her brother in the womb and out here in the world too.
Austin was Baby B, of course, and he has been "behind" her in everything by
about a month. They were 9 weeks early, so at first I thought it was just
that and now they are soon to be 19 months and I don't think it is that. I
ask my mom and sister all the time about the different stages they are going
thru and at least in our family, the boys tend to be a bit slower at doing
things. Even my pediatrician (both of whom have been male) said the same
thing. Boys are slower developmentally than girls. Austin was commonly
known as the "Whimpy White Boy" in the NICU, as he was the last to come home
and do what needed to be done before coming home. Ashleigh excelled at it
and she came home just a week shy of a month, only due to needing to get to
4 lbs. Austin stayed a week over a month, as he had to have surgery, gain
weigh and learn to drink from a bottle before coming home.

I don't know how it is with girl/girl twins, except that a gal from the Mom
of Twins group here has girl/girl that are a few months older than mine and
she said that her Baby A does things a little bit faster than her twin.
They are fraternal as well, so maybe it has to do with that. I don't know.

Would be a good question to ask a doctor though...just to ease our minds.
;0

Just my thoughts!

Take care,
God Bless,
Julie
Mom to Ashleigh & Austin ~ 19 months on the 16th

Old November 7th 05, 05:45 PM
Sophie

Oh yes, that too. I always compare them to Héloïse. What she did and didn't
do at the same age and so on...

Sophie

Old November 7th 05, 05:50 PM
Sophie

That's funny. Caroline was baby B, but that's the only time she was behind
for something. She took all the place in the womb, she blocked the exit, LOL
and since she looked and was smaller she was the first to be put on the
breast ! She's stronger than her brother and knows how to get her ways !
Alexandre is the charming guy, that's how he gets what he wants.
Smiles...except for the bottle...LOL. As a newborn he used to scream
whenever he was hungry and he still cries at lot. Caroline just sort of
shouts and looks you straight in the eye . It's funny. But you can't ignore
her.

Sophie

nOLbf.311024$084.16728@attbi_s22...

Old November 7th 05, 06:32 PM
Fergus Doyle

Hi Julie,

I tend to agree about the boy, girl thing. I have Boy,Girl twins almost
a year old now. It can be several months between them doing things.
Madam is baby B and again that's the only time she's behind sir, baby A.

Fergus

Old November 8th 05, 02:20 AM
Shirley

I have not been on the system in a long time and am de-lurking.

Comparing will stop eventually. My soon to be 11 yo B/G twins are so
different. Chris is almost OC when it comes to his room, his toys, his
clothes, etc, etc. He even organizes my room!!! His twin is a slob from
the get go. She has to be reminded to clean her room daily and to make her
bed (something her twin does automatically immediately after waking). He is
a gifted artist, she is a gifted violinist, she cares immensely what others
think of her clothes, Chris could wear huge shirts and oversize ties (yes he
loves ties too), oversize coats and couldn't care less who sees him.
Kathleen is an A student, Chris is a good student and excels in the creative
areas, not necessarily academics. Kathleen is the drama queen, literally,
loves to perform and loves audiences, Chris is quieter and loves one on one
relationships, and is terrified of being "on stage." It certainly makes it
easy not to compare them at this age. Though sometimes in my mind I wish
Kathleen was a bit more like Chris in his neatness, and wish Chris was a bit
more outgoing. It eventually evens out and you get a whole bunch of fun
stuff from both of them. One's heart is full all the time with a whole
bunch of bubbles from them.

Good luck with your babies...it goes very fast.

Shirley
Chris and Kathleen 1/95

Old November 8th 05, 03:52 AM
Ellen

Well I can testify that it is not always a boy/girl thing! My boys
could NOT be more opposite in every way. The look nothing alike (one
blue eyes, one brown), one weighs 10 lbs. more and is an inch taller,
one is "all boy", really active and into trucks, action figures, etc.,
the other is all about the computer, arts/crafts, books, etc. One has
the attention span of a fly while the other will sit forever printing,
coloring, etc. It is hard not to compare, but it does get easier as
they get older and their personalities become more apparent.

Ellen
---------------
Erin 6/95
Bradley & Alex 10/00

Old November 8th 05, 06:44 AM
Sophie

"Shirley" a écrit dans le message de
I have not been on the system in a long time and am de-lurking.

Good luck with your babies...it goes very fast.

Shirley
Chris and Kathleen 1/95

Thanks both for replying and for your wishes ! I do find time's going too
fast too.

Old November 8th 05, 06:46 AM
Sophie

Oh I can already tell their each have their personality ! It's so
fascinating to watch those kids grow. It really is a blessing to have twins.
I'm really thankful for them. And for Héloïse too of course !

Sophie
Mummy to
Héloïse 3 yo
Caroline and Alexandre 6 months.