Now I'm getting nervous -daycare starts on Monday

Old September 20th 06, 02:40 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default Now I'm getting nervous -daycare starts on Monday

And DD still won't take a bottle!

A friend managed to get her to take 5 mls on saturday. We've tried once
since then (were travelling Monday and she had her shots today). We've
been trying - tho not daily - since she was 6 weeks old and she's 11
weeks now. She just refuses. She DID take a bottle while in hospital
around 13-15 days old, altho she hated it and never took more than 2
ozs then.

Sending her to daycare is making me nervous enough, the feeding issue
is making me panic! Now, I work on site so can see her at lunch - tho
have already noted I've got lunch meetings scheduled 2x that first
week. So in theory I can fill her up at 7:30, 11:30, and when I get her
at 4:30, and hope the babysitter can force an ounce or two into her in
between those times. And on the days I have meetings go to her before
hand. Fortunately she only does 2-3 or so long feeds anyway each day,
the rest of the time she just snacks, so she's used to not having much
at one time. I just hope the babysitter doesn't give up and tell me she
can't take her because of that. (it's an inhome daycare on the military
base where I work)

I've tried every nipple out there. The nuk nipples gave the best
results, but she still fights it so much. DH tries, but gives in too
easily, which is why we've had friends try for the past 2 weeks. We
weren't consistent with trying just 'cause DH was always getting home
too late and DD is grumpy at night so I always try to nurse her instead
of turning her into more hysterics. I'm taking DD to the daycare
tomorrow for 1-2 hrs and will ask the babysitter to try then and see
how it goes. I just don't know what to do to get her to take the bottle.

Old September 20th 06, 04:02 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
And DD still won't take a bottle!

I understand the stress. My first refused a bottle too. I'll give some
ideas but honestly...he never took a bottle. He was hungry and didn't sleep
well during the day as a result. Actually he only nursed to sleep. I had a
gem of a sitter. She did syringe in a couple ounces on the long days and
used a cup when he was old enough. We also finally discovered the Playtex
bottles with the sippy cup nipple. She could squeeze the bag to get the
milk out. The regular nipples pop out when the bag is squeezed. The good
news is he reverse cycled so he did get plenty of milk to stay healthy and
grow like a weed...he just got it at night.

On to the tips ;-)

1) Try different temps all the way from cold to very warm.
2) Try swaddling
3) Different holds. Cradle, facing out, on lap with feet to belly, on lap
with head at belly and feet out. Our sitter had to use the feet out method.
4) Dh had the best luck with having him sit in a bouncy seat and with cold
milk.
5) use fresh milk if at all possible.

Good luck!

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old September 20th 06, 04:57 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jess

"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just don't know what to do to get her to take the bottle.

Never underestimate the power of peer pressure. Let the teachers handle it,
they've got the teacher mo-jo book of tricks.

Jess

Old September 20th 06, 09:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Nikki wrote:
"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks for the tips, and it's good to know your son managed even
without the bottle. I'll talk to the sitter more tomorrow about it to
see what she's willing to do. The playtex squeezing may be a good
option. We've done #3, a bit of #1, and always #5 (I always try with
what I pumped that day by hand).

WE've done syring feeding before, so that should work. The sitter has
another baby and 2 toddlers, so hopefully if she has to resort to that
it doesn't become too problematic. I'm worried too because if after a
week she says she just can't deal and I have to find alternative
childcare, I've already given up my spot at the on-site institutional
daycare center.

Old September 20th 06, 10:28 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Me Myself and I

--
"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I just wanted to agree with what Nikki said about milk temperature. My
first DD preferred her bottle milk (breast and formula milk) much much
warmer than I would have thought normal, and if it cooled as she got near
the end she would not drink it anymore. Yet my Sister-in-laws children all
drank room temp and fridge cold milk and would not drink it if it was
remotely warm.

--
Pip

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - 21 March 02 -
Still as small as a peanut but as smart as a whip!

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - 3 Feb 05 -
"Uhhhhh ohhhhhh" is my new favourite phrase, now what other trouble can I
find!

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

Old September 20th 06, 12:22 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sue

You will be pleasantly surprised that someone else is able to get your
daughter to do things that you won't be able to. I wouldn't stress about it.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

oups.com...

Old September 20th 06, 01:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mary Ann

cjra wrote:
And DD still won't take a bottle!

I understand how anxious you are feeling.

Sending her to daycare is making me nervous enough, the feeding issue
is making me panic! Now, I work on site so can see her at lunch

This is marvelous. If DD needs you the sitter will call. I don't know
what your work is and whether it's easy for you to just down tools and
go and nurse, but even if you can't, knowing that you are 5 mins away
(please don't tell me you work on some huge university campus/village!)
will do alot to lessen your anxiety.

- tho
have already noted I've got lunch meetings scheduled 2x that first
week. So in theory I can fill her up at 7:30, 11:30, and when I get her
at 4:30, and hope the babysitter can force an ounce or two into her in
between those times.

Those are long gaps, but not terribly so. You may well find (as I did),
that your DD drinks only enough to get her through the day and then
catches up when you are there (before work, after work, during the
night and at the w/e).
This can make for some tiring months ahead, but it can be a really nice
way to re-connect with your nursling after you've been working all day
(clearly now my son is 7 YO I have my rose tinted nursing specs on...I
was actually pretty exhausted!). YOU are the only one who can nurse her
and that's something special to remember when you are apart.

And on the days I have meetings go to her before
hand. Fortunately she only does 2-3 or so long feeds anyway each day,
the rest of the time she just snacks, so she's used to not having much
at one time.

Be prepared for her nursing pattern to change and for your supply to
change accordingly. Kepp an open mind.

I just hope the babysitter doesn't give up and tell me she
can't take her because of that. (it's an inhome daycare on the military
base where I work)

If she is an experienced baby sitter she will have come across this
before.
Ah, a military base....I hope it's not too huge.

Mary Ann

Old September 20th 06, 01:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Sue wrote:
You will be pleasantly surprised that someone else is able to get your
daughter to do things that you won't be able to. I wouldn't stress about it.

Well, we've had about 10 different people try. I usually don't bother
given I know she'd prefer the breast if she's leaning right against it,
but I have tried on occassion and the next few days will have to do so
since no one else is around.

Old September 20th 06, 01:44 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Mary Ann wrote:
cjra wrote:
And DD still won't take a bottle!

I understand how anxious you are feeling.

Sending her to daycare is making me nervous enough, the feeding issue
is making me panic! Now, I work on site so can see her at lunch

This is marvelous. If DD needs you the sitter will call. I don't know
what your work is and whether it's easy for you to just down tools and
go and nurse, but even if you can't, knowing that you are 5 mins away
(please don't tell me you work on some huge university campus/village!)
will do alot to lessen your anxiety.

Well, if I'm in a meeting it's difficult, but usually I'm at my desk
and can stop what I'm doing if necessary. However I do spend a lot of
time off site at meetings which make getting back difficult.

- tho
have already noted I've got lunch meetings scheduled 2x that first
week. So in theory I can fill her up at 7:30, 11:30, and when I get her
at 4:30, and hope the babysitter can force an ounce or two into her in
between those times.

Those are long gaps, but not terribly so. You may well find (as I did),
that your DD drinks only enough to get her through the day and then
catches up when you are there (before work, after work, during the
night and at the w/e).
This can make for some tiring months ahead, but it can be a really nice
way to re-connect with your nursling after you've been working all day
(clearly now my son is 7 YO I have my rose tinted nursing specs on...I
was actually pretty exhausted!). YOU are the only one who can nurse her
and that's something special to remember when you are apart.

I hope it works out like that. I just have this feeling she'll be
screaming for hours because she's so hungry! I'm not bothered about
having to nurse her constantly when I'm with her, I'll do it if
necessary.

And on the days I have meetings go to her before
hand. Fortunately she only does 2-3 or so long feeds anyway each day,
the rest of the time she just snacks, so she's used to not having much
at one time.

Be prepared for her nursing pattern to change and for your supply to
change accordingly. Kepp an open mind.

I just hope the babysitter doesn't give up and tell me she
can't take her because of that. (it's an inhome daycare on the military
base where I work)

If she is an experienced baby sitter she will have come across this
before.
Ah, a military base....I hope it's not too huge.

I hope so. She's worked in military daycares and has had her in home
daycare for 3 yrs, and she's always started with babies. She also has a
5 month old. I'm not sure if she's BF or not, I'm a teeny bit concerned
that DD won't take a bottle from her either if she is BF because she
can sense it, but maybe not since it's not me.

The base is small, and I have my car at my office, the housing is
within a few minutes drive (walkable too, but I will be aiming to cut
time).

Old September 20th 06, 01:56 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mary W.

Nikki wrote:
"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
And DD still won't take a bottle!

I understand the stress. My first refused a bottle too. I'll give some
ideas but honestly...he never took a bottle. He was hungry and didn't sleep
well during the day as a result. Actually he only nursed to sleep. I had a
gem of a sitter. She did syringe in a couple ounces on the long days and
used a cup when he was old enough. We also finally discovered the Playtex
bottles with the sippy cup nipple. She could squeeze the bag to get the
milk out. The regular nipples pop out when the bag is squeezed. The good
news is he reverse cycled so he did get plenty of milk to stay healthy and
grow like a weed...he just got it at night.

This was alot like DD1. Our nanny was able to get a few ounces
into her during the day using the playtex squeeze method. A faster
flow nipple might help too so your daughter doesn't have
to work so hard (but if she starts taking it, back off to a slower
nipple to avoid bottle preference).

On to the tips ;-)

1) Try different temps all the way from cold to very warm.
2) Try swaddling
3) Different holds. Cradle, facing out, on lap with feet to belly, on lap
with head at belly and feet out. Our sitter had to use the feet out method.
4) Dh had the best luck with having him sit in a bouncy seat and with cold
milk.
5) use fresh milk if at all possible.

Our nanny would prop DD up in her carseat so she was almost
sitting (a swing would work too), put baby mozart on the TV and
if DD was distracted enough she'd take a couple of ounces. I think
someone else here had luck with the cradle hold and a burp cloth
over baby's eyes so they couldn't see the caregiver. I second the
temperature thing, DD liked hers very, very warm. I also think
someone here had luck with the 'breast bottle', somthing to
consider:
http://www.adiri.com/main/index.php

In the end, DD reversed cycled. She wasn't happy during
the day, but she wasn't all out miserable. I didn't nurse her
at all, so you may be OK just nursing at lunch time. We
started solids at 5 months with DD1 primarily so the nanny
could get something into her and that worked really well.

Mary W.