Worried Parent

Old September 27th 06, 06:44 PM
yvonne yvonne is offline
Junior Member

Default Worried Parent

My son just recently started daycare last week, every morning when I get him dress he starts crying because he knows he's going to daycare, when I take him inside the teacher has to hold him while I walk out. This is my first and only child, he's going on 3yrs old in Nov. his dad has been watching him while I go to work for almost a year now, before that he was going to the babysitter's house. I know this is new for him and its going to take him a while to adjust but now his behavior at home has change, and I don't know if this is normal or not, but now I can't even go into the next room without him crying or following me, he cries hysterical like if something bad happen to him. Its like he thinks i'm going to leave him forever, but i'm only going into the next room or so. Also I don't know if it has to do with his dad leaving, his dad recently moved out but was only staying with us for only a year, could it be he thinks i'm going to leave him as well, he does see his dad about 3 times a week. I'm just worried about him crying everytime I just walk away from him to go to the other room. I do try to talk to him but my child does not talk very much, he just says a few words but does not put them together, thats one of the main reasons why I wanted to put him into daycare so he could interact with other children and pick up on talking. I need some advice please help
Old September 27th 06, 08:17 PM posted to misc.kids
Candy

Hi Yvonne,

This is very natural behaviour of a child when you leave them for the
first time to the daycare or pre-school. They feel little insecure that
if their parents will come back to pick them up or not because when a
child comes to this world he only knows his parents and he can only be
comfortable with them. It happened same to me when I dropped my 3-year
old first time to the preschool. I requested the teachers to let me
stay with her for two days and that time my daughter was holding my
hand like she's never gonna leave me. But third day, I dropped her in
her class and was in next room and went to pick her up in around
2-hours. She realized that Mom will come. Then the fourth day I left
her for 3-hours. Then she was fine. Just cried little bit for five
minutes and then was busy in playing. Now she is 4-years and is
enjoying her preschool like anything. Also they need some time to get
comfortable with the teachers and other kids too.

Hope things will get better soon for you also.

Candy.

Old September 27th 06, 09:32 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:44:35 +0100, yvonne
wrote:

My son just recently started daycare last week, every morning when I get
him dress he starts crying because he knows he's going to daycare, when
I take him inside the teacher has to hold him while I walk out. This is
my first and only child, he's going on 3yrs old in Nov. his dad has been
watching him while I go to work for almost a year now, before that he
was going to the babysitter's house. I know this is new for him and its
going to take him a while to adjust but now his behavior at home has
change, and I don't know if this is normal or not, but now I can't even
go into the next room without him crying or following me, he cries
hysterical like if something bad happen to him.

It's normal for children starting daycare to have separation anxiety
because they are in a new place and really we don't explain much to
them, we just tend to take them and drop them off.

Its like he thinks i'm going to leave him forever, but i'm only going
into the next room or so.

Play games where you go out and peek around the corner with him.
It will take some time, but this will help.

Also I don't know if it has to do with his dad leaving, his dad
recently moved out but was only staying with us for only a year,
could it be he thinks i'm going to leave him as well, he does see
his dad about 3 times a week.

This is probably part of the problem. You need to talk to him about
dad leaving and the fact that you are not going to leave. You may
want to use some books about divorce (even if you were not married
since this is still a divorce to your child).

Some possibilities he
http://www.maginationpress.com/bbytopic.html#divorce

In particular I like:
Was It the Chocolate Pudding? A Story for Little Kids About Divorce
By Sandra Levins (this may be too old for him though)

Some others not listed at magination press:

Dinosaur's Divorce by Marc Brown
It's Not Your Fault, Koko Bear: Osread-Together Book for Parents &
Young Children During Divorce Mpt by Vicki Lansky
Mama and Daddy Bear's Divorce by Cornelia Maude Spelman

I'm just worried about him crying everytime I just walk away from
him to go to the other room. I do try to talk to him but my child
does not talk very much, he just says a few words but does not
put them together, thats one of the main reasons why I wanted
to put him into daycare so he could interact with other children and
pick up on talking. I need some advice please help

Children understand much more than they can say. You may want to
try teaching him some sign language. There are some good videos for
this called Signing Time (if you let him watch dvds and videos). I
also recommend the Baby Bumble Bee vocabulary videos for children
who need help with talking. And if he is not putting words together,
I would suggest an evaluation by a speech therapist since most
children do that at 2 and delayed speech may need to be addressed.
(The daycare may assess this for you, btw. Many daycares will refer
children to speech therapy and some have STs on staff who will work
with children).

For the separation anxiety itself, you may want to read The Kissing
Hand by Audrey Penn with him. It's a good book and has a ritual you
can use for separating from him at daycare.

You may also want to give him a picture of you that he can keep in his
cubby at daycare and look at when he is thinking about you. A *lovey*
can help too especially at naptime.

You may also want to make a picture schedule of his day at daycare
and talk to him about the sequence of things and how mommy
always comes back *after nap* or after whatever the last activity of
the day is. If you can get actual pictures of the activities from his
teachers, you can use these (I always took digital pictures of the
kids doing activities in my preschool classes and used them to
sequence the day. If you can't get actual pictures, you may be able
to find clipart online or pictures in magazines that will show what
they do.

Good luck!

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old September 28th 06, 02:01 AM posted to misc.kids
Rhonda

I have two daughters who both went to day care and they both did this.
Children that age have seperation anxiety. I remember they both cried
for about a week almost two and then it gradualy lessened and then to
no problem dropping them off. I remember thinking, why aren't they
crying anymore, don't they miss me?!! It was so double sided for me, I
felt neede when they cried and then when they were fine with leaving
me, I was a little upset!!

It will be fine and it will get better!!

Old September 28th 06, 05:01 AM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article ,
yvonne wrote:

My son just recently started daycare last week, every morning when I get
him dress he starts crying because he knows he's going to daycare, when
I take him inside the teacher has to hold him while I walk out. This is
my first and only child, he's going on 3yrs old in Nov.

This is normal. Your day care should have given you some advice on how to
leave your child.

First, find them something to do or a carer with an activity, then say that
you are going and will be back at [whatever time you collect him]. Say
goodbye (and "Enjoy yourself!"), kiss him, and leave. The carer should
comfort him if he's upset, and involve him in an activity. Make the way you
leave a kind of ritual -- same every day -- and he will eventually understand.

now his behavior at home has
change, and I don't know if this is normal or not, but now I can't even
go into the next room without him crying or following me, he cries
hysterical like if something bad happen to him. Its like he thinks i'm
going to leave him forever, but i'm only going into the next room or
so.

You haven't been sneaking out of the day care, have you?

Also I don't know if it has to do with his dad leaving, his dad
recently moved out but was only staying with us for only a year, could
it be he thinks i'm going to leave him as well, he does see his dad
about 3 times a week. I'm just worried about him crying everytime I
just walk away from him to go to the other room.

I am sure this would have a bit to do with it, and so would starting day care.
Continue to tell him what you are doing, and reassure him that you aren't
going to leave, and he will come good.

I do try to talk to
him but my child does not talk very much, he just says a few words but
does not put them together, thats one of the main reasons why I wanted
to put him into daycare so he could interact with other children and
pick up on talking. I need some advice please help

That is unusual for a child of nearly 3 -- generally, they start putting words
together at about 18 months. Speak to your Child Health Nurse (or whoever you
see) about this.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue

OT but for all Foster Parents: NFPA Position Statements PopInJay Foster Parents 1 June 10th 05 03:06 AM
Interesting book and interesting idea Werebat Child Support 23 March 27th 05 10:59 AM
Weird... Werebat Child Support 8 February 3rd 04 01:28 AM
The Determination of Child Custody in the USA Fighting for kids Child Support 21 November 17th 03 01:35 AM