when to switch to forward facing carseat?

Old September 27th 06, 08:11 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
determined

Default when to switch to forward facing carseat?

DD is 9.5 months. She's still only 16lbs, but in the 95th percentile for
her age, so even though she's petite, she doesn't fit well into the rear
facing carseat anymore. Just off hand, I think the cut off time is around
22lbs and 1 yr old. We'll be going to Europe in December, so we need to let
the car rental company know what type of carseat we'll need. I'm almost
certain DD won't be gaining 6 lbs in the next 2.5 months. How long should
we keep her in the rear facing carseat?

Betsy

Old September 27th 06, 09:47 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
KR

Ideally you should keep her rear facing as long as you can, since it is
safer. People do this more so in Europe then in North America, from
what I have heard. It really doesn't matter if her legs are up against
the seat back, as long as her head is an inch or two below the back of
the seat.

We go by three rules to face forward:
1) One year of age.
2) 20 pounds
3) Able to pull themselves to standing without any help (this shows
that their body has the muscle strength to absorb the impact of a crash
since when rear facing the seat absorbs most of the impact.

Hope this helps!

KR

Old September 27th 06, 10:13 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
determined

"KR" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ideally you should keep her rear facing as long as you can, since it is
safer. People do this more so in Europe then in North America, from
what I have heard. It really doesn't matter if her legs are up against
the seat back, as long as her head is an inch or two below the back of
the seat.

We go by three rules to face forward:
1) One year of age.
2) 20 pounds
3) Able to pull themselves to standing without any help (this shows
that their body has the muscle strength to absorb the impact of a crash
since when rear facing the seat absorbs most of the impact.

Hope this helps!

KR

Thanks. By those guidelines that you listed, I'm guessing DD will be
forward facing by the time of our trip, except for the 20lbs part. She
ought to be pretty close to that by then though!

Old September 27th 06, 10:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jess

"determined" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks. By those guidelines that you listed, I'm guessing DD will be
forward facing by the time of our trip, except for the 20lbs part. She
ought to be pretty close to that by then though!

Read the carseat manual. I think the AAP is suggesting by weight and not
age, but I can't remember. I do know that our carseat manual said to turn
the seat around after a certain weight limit.

Jess

Old September 27th 06, 11:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
determined

"Jess" wrote in message

"determined" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks. By those guidelines that you listed, I'm guessing DD will be
forward facing by the time of our trip, except for the 20lbs part. She
ought to be pretty close to that by then though!

Read the carseat manual. I think the AAP is suggesting by weight and not
age, but I can't remember. I do know that our carseat manual said to turn
the seat around after a certain weight limit.

Jess

Oh, right...the manual. Guess I'd better check the website and see if it's
available there. I'm really bad about hanging onto those kinds of things!

Old September 28th 06, 02:03 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"determined" wrote in message
DD is 9.5 months. She's still only 16lbs, but in the 95th percentile for
her age, so even though she's petite, she doesn't fit well into the rear
facing carseat anymore. Just off hand, I think the cut off time is around
22lbs and 1 yr old. We'll be going to Europe in December, so we need to
let the car rental company know what type of carseat we'll need. I'm
almost certain DD won't be gaining 6 lbs in the next 2.5 months. How long
should we keep her in the rear facing carseat?

Betsy

I don't know how it is in Europe, but here it's 20lbs AND 1 year of age, at
the minimum.
I kept DD facing backwards when she was over 20lbs and it was a while after
her first birthday that I changed her around to face forward.
Ideally, facing backwards is the safest.
Check out the laws and all that in Europe where you'll be going. One place
could be totally different from the next, so just either call or find out
the info about what the laws and standards are over there.
I, personally, would put her facing backwards, even if she does gain 6lbs by
December, but, that could just be me!

Old September 28th 06, 05:18 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article ,
"determined" wrote:

DD is 9.5 months. She's still only 16lbs, but in the 95th percentile for
her age, so even though she's petite, she doesn't fit well into the rear
facing carseat anymore. Just off hand, I think the cut off time is around
22lbs and 1 yr old. We'll be going to Europe in December, so we need to let
the car rental company know what type of carseat we'll need. I'm almost
certain DD won't be gaining 6 lbs in the next 2.5 months. How long should
we keep her in the rear facing carseat?

Contact your department of transport. Also, European car seats and
regulations may be different. Ring the relevant Embassy.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old September 29th 06, 11:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
V.

"determined" wrote in message
DD is 9.5 months. She's still only 16lbs, but in the 95th percentile for
her age, so even though she's petite, she doesn't fit well into the rear
facing carseat anymore. Just off hand, I think the cut off time is around
22lbs and 1 yr old. We'll be going to Europe in December, so we need to
let the car rental company know what type of carseat we'll need. I'm
almost certain DD won't be gaining 6 lbs in the next 2.5 months. How long
should we keep her in the rear facing carseat?

Betsy

The guidelines I've heard (Maine in the US) are to be BOTH 20 lbs and one
year old. Under 20 lbs after a year or over a year old but not yet 20lbs
means still rear-facing. Actually, I read a recommendation (can't remember
where...NTSB or something official) to keep them rear facing as long as
possible. I bought a convertible car seat after DD started to get too long
for the infant car seat. It's rear facing up to 35 lbs, but can be turned
to front facing after 22 lbs (Graco Comfort Sport) I had previously bought
a Cosco toddler high back booster seat that's front facing from 20lbs and
up, so I'm going to use that in DHs vehicle for when he needs to pick
up/drop off from daycare.
Do they have convertible car seats in europe that can be rear facing at
higher weights than infant? That's what I'd recommend.

Amy

Old October 1st 06, 09:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mary Ann

determined wrote:
DD is 9.5 months. She's still only 16lbs, but in the 95th percentile for
her age, so even though she's petite, she doesn't fit well into the rear
facing carseat anymore. Just off hand, I think the cut off time is around
22lbs and 1 yr old. We'll be going to Europe in December, so we need to let
the car rental company know what type of carseat we'll need. I'm almost
certain DD won't be gaining 6 lbs in the next 2.5 months. How long should
we keep her in the rear facing carseat?

Betsy

I would ask for a convertible car seat which can be rear facing to
greater than 20lb. These will be bigger than the infact (upto 20lb)
seats and you won't need to worry about her being too tall. I think
you'll need to ask for a 0+1 range seat.

Remember to know her weight and height in kg and cm (unless you're
going to the UK where we are supposed to be metric but still struggling
after only 35 years or so!)

In the UK many people turn their children forward facing to soon. She
should be 20lb AND one year old.

Mary Ann (in Europe).

carseat question KD Pregnancy 18 July 5th 06 06:52 PM
NJ: Ruling on indigent parents reversed Dusty Child Support 1 March 13th 06 10:32 PM
Carseat Questions - Canadian traveling with Tots in USA [email protected] General 6 March 29th 05 10:30 PM
HELP! Need Carseat Ideas for an extended cab Toyota Tacoma Annie Pregnancy 2 October 11th 04 07:13 PM
Carseat backseat fit Angela Schepers Pregnancy 2 August 9th 04 03:37 PM