Arghhhhhhhhhhhh...need sleep

Old March 11th 04, 03:07 PM
CY

Default Arghhhhhhhhhhhh...need sleep

I need some desperate help asap! For the past 3-4 nights DD (2 yo) has been
waking up about every 45 minutes all night long. We co-sleep (crib side car
arrangement) and she still nurses about every 4 hrs during the day plus
plenty of food. She naps fine (around 1.5 hrs). She's also been waking up
for the day way earlier than normal (by a couple of hours).

I will add she's been a bit congested, but the one night I gave her
Benadryl, she was up even more often. I tried giving her a bottle of cows
milk as well as letting her nurse, thinking that maybe she was hungry and
couldn't get enough from me to satisfy it, but that didn't help. I have
tried feeding her protein/carb rich foods before bedtime. Didn't work. I
am going crazy here. I haven't had a decent night's sleep for 3 days.

She has all her teeth except for the back molars, and as far as I can see
and feel they are not trying to come up (though, I suppose they could be and
she always has terrible trouble with teeth and I heard that those back
molars are the worst). Do you think it's teething?

If this continues through the weekend, I am going to put DH on nighttime
duty (I am loathe to do this during the week as I am a SAHM, while he has a
demanding job and a bad commute, and I wouldn't want him to be dog tired all
day too and at least I can get an hour nap in) and see if that does
anything.

I am going insane...What do you think is going on here?

TIA

CY
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old March 11th 04, 03:19 PM
Andrea

Terrible twos? Joey was like that for 6 months. He is now over it and sleeps
all night, but is upo at 5-6am.

Still a devil in the day though!

Andrea mom of 5.

Old March 11th 04, 03:40 PM

CY wrote:
I need some desperate help asap! For the past 3-4 nights DD (2 yo) has been
waking up about every 45 minutes all night long. We co-sleep (crib side car
arrangement) and she still nurses about every 4 hrs during the day plus
plenty of food. She naps fine (around 1.5 hrs). She's also been waking up
for the day way earlier than normal (by a couple of hours).

What's the norm for her before things got bad? The cough medicine you give
her can actually be a stimulant and disrupt her sleep. Check out the list
of medicines at this site:

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T089900.asp

If she's been sick I'd talk to the doctor and her check things out. We
had a similar problem and my wife was really hesitant to go to the doc.
We did go to the doc, he check out the little guy and figured out he
had an allergy (based on where the congestion was or the color or
something).

Anyway, once we had the figured out things got better.
Old March 11th 04, 04:08 PM
CY

wrote in message
CY wrote:

What's the norm for her before things got bad?

She was mostly sleeping through the night but sometimes waking up once late
in the night (around4-5am) to nurse.

The cough medicine you give
her can actually be a stimulant and disrupt her sleep. Check out the list
of medicines at this site:

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T089900.asp

Yep, I knew this - I only did it for one of the nights though and gave her
half the dose this site recommends.

If she's been sick I'd talk to the doctor and her check things out. We
had a similar problem and my wife was really hesitant to go to the doc.
We did go to the doc, he check out the little guy and figured out he
had an allergy (based on where the congestion was or the color or
something).

Yep. She does have wheat/milk allergies but it's never caused this before.
It causes eczema and since we've cut out things from her diet her eczema has
cleared up. I hope to God she isn't allergic to anything else!!

Anyway, once we had the figured out things got better.

I'm hoping this doesn't take too long!!

Old March 11th 04, 07:30 PM
HollyLewis

She has all her teeth except for the back molars, and as far as I can see
and feel they are not trying to come up (though, I suppose they could be and
she always has terrible trouble with teeth and I heard that those back
molars are the worst). Do you think it's teething?

Sounds like a good guess to me, especially if she's cranky when she wakes or
won't settle back to sleep quickly when you nurse her. DS' awful nights were
always due to teething, and the bad nights always occurred at least a week
before you could see or feel any evidence of it in his mouth. (Then a few days
later, they'd start poking through.) And yes, the molars were the worst.

Have you tried giving her Motrin at bedtime?

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old March 11th 04, 09:33 PM
Chotii

"HollyLewis" wrote in message
She has all her teeth except for the back molars, and as far as I can see
and feel they are not trying to come up (though, I suppose they could be

and
she always has terrible trouble with teeth and I heard that those back
molars are the worst). Do you think it's teething?

Sounds like a good guess to me, especially if she's cranky when she wakes

or
won't settle back to sleep quickly when you nurse her. DS' awful nights

were
always due to teething, and the bad nights always occurred at least a week
before you could see or feel any evidence of it in his mouth. (Then a few

days
later, they'd start poking through.) And yes, the molars were the worst.

Have you tried giving her Motrin at bedtime?

This was going to be my suggestion: Tonight, give her a dose of Motrin and
see if it makes a difference. If yes, then the Motrin is masking some
variety of pain. If you've ruled out other things like ear infections, then
teething would be my best guess.

--angela