Boring old question: 2 year old climbs out of crib...

Old June 7th 05, 05:51 AM
kks

Default Boring old question: 2 year old climbs out of crib...

There are lots of threads on usenet about toddlers climbing out of
their crib. Haven't found an exact answer to my particular question.
Right now we're in a little house, and my two and a half year old
sleeps in his crib in the same room as my six year old, who sleeps in a
twin bed. When my toddler climbs out of his bed at night lately, I'd
just let him, and keep putting him back in, etc. Except he oftentimes
bothers his older brother who is trying to sleep. I tried putting the
six year old in my bed, where he could fall asleep unperturbed, and
locking the door so the two year old wouldn't go in there and jump on
him, but what happened was that my bedroom door was locked, the
bathroom door was locked (to keep two year old out), and so there I
was, sitting in the dark on the couch, sort of held captive by my two
year old. Does anyone out there have kids that have to share a
room? Most of the posts I read in other threads have each kid with
his/her own room, so one can lock the door, or put a gate up, etc. But
I can't leave my sleeping six year old unattended or else the climbing
monkey will jump on him or bother him after he climbs out of his crib.
Thanks!

Old June 7th 05, 09:34 AM
turtlechaser

My son 19mo and my daughter 4years share a room. He started to crawl
out of his crib at 12 months. We tried to put him into a "big boy" bed
at that point but he doesn't have enough self control to stay in bed. I
was completely at my breaking point one night when I finally flipped
his crib around so the front faces the wall. His crib has a high,
arched back so he can't climb it (yet). He still grabs the back and
hooks his toes around the bars, trying to pull himself up but he isn't
quite strong enough (yet). We also put him in feeted pajama's which
makes climbing out harder. Now he's taken to knocking on the wall,
stripping all his bedding and throwing it onto the floor, and screaming
but at least he's contained. This, of course, does not stop me from
locking the baby gate at the top of the stairs just in case he gets
loose.

Fortunately, my daughter can sleep through anything. She sleeps in a
bunk bed and we have arranged it so my son can't climb up to the top (a
series of barriers and obsticles). Have you tried to put the crib in
your room? He may be less inclined to be a monkey if you're right there.

Old June 7th 05, 10:14 AM
toypup

"kks" wrote in message
oups.com...
year old. Does anyone out there have kids that have to share a
room? Most of the posts I read in other threads have each kid with
his/her own room, so one can lock the door, or put a gate up, etc. But
I can't leave my sleeping six year old unattended or else the climbing
monkey will jump on him or bother him after he climbs out of his crib.
Thanks!

How about a crib tent?

Old June 7th 05, 01:02 PM
Ericka Kammerer

kks wrote:

[...]

Can you put the 2yo down first so he falls asleep
before the 6yo goes to bed?

Best wishes,
Ericka

misc.kids FAQ on Breastfeeding Past the First Year [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 March 30th 05 06:33 AM
misc.kids FAQ on Breastfeeding Past the First Year [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 October 29th 04 05:23 AM
misc.kids FAQ on Breastfeeding Past the First Year [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 January 16th 04 09:15 AM
Kids should work... Doan Spanking 33 December 10th 03 08:05 PM