TV vent

Old July 9th 03, 01:01 AM
Libby Macdonald

Default TV vent

(delurking once again)

Did any Australian posters see Life Support (a comic parody of a lifestyle
show) on SBS on Monday night? It was a repeat - I'm not sure when it first
aired...

Between sketches there was a "person on the street" poll on the subject of
NIPping. Two young women and two young men gave opinions and just one (one
of the guys) said they felt that breastfeeding in public was okay. Both
the women seemed outraged at the thought. One said she felt it was
unhygenic. The other said something like: "If you're out for the day and
you know your baby will be hungry just make up a bottle" (in tones that
suggested that breastfeeders were either lazy or stupid). The second bloke
compared breastfeeding in public to men urinating in public (at which my
mother remarked that he did not have a very good grasp of anatomy).

Was this part of the comedy? I didn't get the joke. They really did seem
to be unscripted members of the public, but I've certainly never come
accross this attitude before... I have very liberal views about television
content and people's right to their opinions, and a sneaking suspicion
that I should not be taking an innately silly programme at all seriously,
but I'm still seething about this two days later.

Just had to get this off my chest.
(What an appropriate metaphor).

Libby
Old July 9th 03, 05:51 AM
A&G&K

"Libby Macdonald" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry - I did not see the show, but alas, it does not surprise me of the
ignorant attitude of those asked for their opinion. In the words of my
BIL, "some people are inherently dumb" .... or in this case ignorant. I NIP
whenever I need to, mostly to feed my DD, but part of me feels that its my
duty to make NIPping more acceptable in our society so that my DD can feel
free to NIP in the future. I've collected some interesting looks and stares
(which I return by smiling) but nobody has ever made any negative comments
to me .... and God help them if they do.

Perhaps we should drop SBS a line suggesting that it is their civic duty to
counter such ignorance with information ... perhaps by a few prominent
airings of ABA commercials .... the one of the man eating lunch in the
toilet might just hit home

Amanda ... who is now going to search for the SBS site and make comment.

Old July 9th 03, 12:05 PM
Elana Kehoe

Libby Macdonald wrote:

Was this part of the comedy? I didn't get the joke.

It might have been...maybe they were saying "Look at all these morons
who think nipping is wrong! Don't they look stupid!"

VENT: crappy lunchtime toypup General 5 April 28th 04 05:53 AM
Feeling sorry - need to vent Sunshine Pregnancy 6 April 19th 04 04:16 PM
VENT: I am tired of being sick Daye Pregnancy 9 November 5th 03 09:50 PM
Week Two of the Pox (vent) Elle Pregnancy 3 August 22nd 03 03:31 AM
Vent about Dr. (loss and other stuff mentioned) Henrietta Louise Pregnancy 3 July 30th 03 05:58 PM