Dr. Phil

Old October 12th 05, 10:19 AM
Anne Rogers

Default Dr. Phil

yike, which is worse, a breast, nicely rounded, but potentially covered in
stretch marks and veins, or a roll of fat hanging over a pair of hipsters,
with a top that doesn't quite reach, which do you see more of every day? And
which would you rather see? Personally when teenagers aren't at school, I
see many girls walking past our house showing these rolls of fat and it is
really disgusting, I wonder if they realise what they look like from behind,
it honestly puts me of my food if I'm eating at the time, whereas breasts, I
don't often see, but if I had the choice between the two, give me a breast
any time!

Ann

Old October 12th 05, 05:24 PM
Marie

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:19:23 +0100, "Anne Rogers"
wrote:
yike, which is worse, a breast, nicely rounded, but potentially covered in
stretch marks and veins, or a roll of fat hanging over a pair of hipsters,
with a top that doesn't quite reach, which do you see more of every day? And
which would you rather see? Personally when teenagers aren't at school, I
see many girls walking past our house showing these rolls of fat and it is
really disgusting, I wonder if they realise what they look like from behind,
it honestly puts me of my food if I'm eating at the time, whereas breasts, I
don't often see, but if I had the choice between the two, give me a breast
any time!

I actually appreciate that girls are discovering it's ok if you aren't
stick-thin and don't have a "perfect" body. If it's ok to dress a
certain way for a skinny gal then it's ok to dress that way for a
not-so-skinny gal. Maybe now girls will stop making themselves throw
up their food despite making you lose your appetite.
Marie
Old October 12th 05, 06:10 PM
Anne Rogers

I actually appreciate that girls are discovering it's ok if you aren't
stick-thin and don't have a "perfect" body. If it's ok to dress a
certain way for a skinny gal then it's ok to dress that way for a
not-so-skinny gal. Maybe now girls will stop making themselves throw
up their food despite making you lose your appetite.

sorry I disagree, I think you should dress to suit your figure an colouring,
you can show off your curves in other ways, but the point is if they can
show that bit of fat I can show a bit of breast!

Anne

Old October 12th 05, 06:52 PM
PattyMomVA

wrote:
[...]

If I can speak in support of Anne; I know what she's talking about.....
Sometimes it's a matter of large girls attempting to wear the current
fashions no matter what. No matter whether they can find the top in their
size or not. No matter if that particular style is meant for a different
body type. Sometimes when I see this, I think the shirt is really just too
small for them!

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old October 12th 05, 08:45 PM
emilymr

I agree with Marie... I spent so many years (all the way through high
school, college, and the first 2 years of grad school) obsessively
covering up my body because I thought my butt/thighs were too big. I
wore men's shirts (yes, they were very attractive on a 4'11" female!!),
big sweaters, etc., and shrunk in horror from anything remotely fitted.
I definitely had a bad relationship with my body, and it was
manifested in my clothes. Now, I personally am not a fan of the
bared-midriff look for anyone; I think it borders on skanky. But I
am *very glad* to see teenagers be confident enough to wear the little
tees even if they don't have a model's body; I wish I had been that
confident about my body when I was younger.

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old October 13th 05, 02:38 AM
Marie

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 18:10:52 +0100, "Anne Rogers"
wrote:
sorry I disagree, I think you should dress to suit your figure an colouring,
you can show off your curves in other ways, but the point is if they can
show that bit of fat I can show a bit of breast!

I agree that a bit of breast can be shown, I have no problem with
that, no matter what the style is.
Marie
Old October 13th 05, 02:42 AM
Marie

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:52:44 -0400, "PattyMomVA"
wrote:
If I can speak in support of Anne; I know what she's talking about.....
Sometimes it's a matter of large girls attempting to wear the current
fashions no matter what. No matter whether they can find the top in their
size or not. No matter if that particular style is meant for a different
body type. Sometimes when I see this, I think the shirt is really just too
small for them!

I know what she's talking about. And I just don't agree, and if I were
overweight I would feel hurt that my fat rolls would cause someone to
lose their appetite.
I have issues anyway with certain clothes being for certain body
types...usually it's the nice, pretty clothes for the thin women and
big ugly clothes for the bigger women. For most overweight girls,
affordable clothes in their size are ugly and I don't like it. It
shouldn't matter to someone else if they choose to wear a nice pretty
shirt.
Marie
Old October 13th 05, 02:48 AM
Marie

On 12 Oct 2005 12:45:17 -0700, "emilymr"
wrote:
I agree with Marie... I spent so many years (all the way through high
school, college, and the first 2 years of grad school) obsessively
covering up my body because I thought my butt/thighs were too big. I
wore men's shirts (yes, they were very attractive on a 4'11" female!!),
big sweaters, etc., and shrunk in horror from anything remotely fitted.
I definitely had a bad relationship with my body, and it was
manifested in my clothes. Now, I personally am not a fan of the
bared-midriff look for anyone; I think it borders on skanky. But I
am *very glad* to see teenagers be confident enough to wear the little
tees even if they don't have a model's body; I wish I had been that
confident about my body when I was younger.

I was terrified to wear a two-piece swimsuit until I was in my
mid-20's (and I'm only 28). I even wore a t-shirt to swim in until
*after* I had children, I was so embarassed about my body because I
wasn't skinny. (my normal weight is about 150lbs and I'm 5'8", but I
had this idea that I should be bony to be able to show anything off)
Once I had children I somehow realized curves were quite ok to have.
I have heard so many people comment on a "gross" overweight girl they
see wearing tight jeans, or a shorter shirt where her side rolls are
visible, and it's just crushing to me. It's a *person*. If a 110 girl
is allowed to wear it, so should a 200 pound girl.
Marie
Old October 13th 05, 03:48 AM
Jess

"Marie" wrote in message
. It's a *person*. If a 110 girl
is allowed to wear it, so should a 200 pound girl.

I agree to an extent-if it looks tasteful and classy, fine. I personally
draw the line at skanky-and believe me, I see a *lot* of skanky when I'm at
class.

Jess

Old October 13th 05, 03:57 AM
emilymr

But I guess the question is: is it skankier when she's bigger?

I also never wore a two-piece bathing suit until right before I got
married. DH did *alot* to improve my body image.

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04