Interesting article on introducing solids: What do you guys think??

Old October 13th 05, 06:03 AM
CY

Default Interesting article on introducing solids: What do you guys think??

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051009/...aby_food_myths

Old October 13th 05, 06:32 AM
Jo

CY wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051009/...aby_food_myths

Makes sense to me, but I will be delaying nuts for a few years
(especially peanuts)... and possibly dairy until a year, probably...
Makes sense not to give them over processed grains as a first food -
imagine the Glycaemic Index of rice cereal?!

Jo (Who gets to experiment with solids in 2 months time!)
Old October 13th 05, 09:00 AM
Anne Rogers

very interesting, particularly the Japanese and radishes, they have the same
radishes in Korea, DH and I, just couldn't get out tastebuds round them, but
DS loved them! We fairly much gave DS table food from the start, the only
thing he really doesn't eat which we do is salad.

Anne

Old October 13th 05, 09:03 AM
Larissa

With #1 I did the recommended approach, which was rice cereal at 4
months. Mashed vegies and pureed fruits next etc. Held off on eggs
till 12months, dairy was out for her and peanut butter was about
14months or so. But when she was old enough to toddle around she used
to come and eat whatever she wanted off my plate. We eat a lot of asian
food, so heaps of garlic, chilli, ginger and various herbs and spices

For #2 I did not bother with the rice and went straight to vegies and
fruits at 5.5 months, the recommendations had changed to introducing
solids at 6 months. He was swiping his sisters peanut butter toast and
whatever else he wanted at 7 months. He would also eat off my plate
sometimes.

#3 was not interested in solids on a regular basis till she was at
least 10 months old. She basically went straight to mashed foods and
quickly to finger foods. At 22 months she has 2 dinners every night
hers and then mine.

Her older siblings are not so interested in curries and prefer blander
food and the moment. I am sure their tastes will continue to change
just to keep me baffled.

Like everything else take into account the family history and then take
your cue from your baby

Larissa

Old October 13th 05, 09:05 AM
Anne Rogers

Makes sense to me, but I will be delaying nuts for a few years (especially
peanuts)... and possibly dairy until a year, probably... Makes sense not
to give them over processed grains as a first food - imagine the Glycaemic
Index of rice cereal?!

presuming you are doing that because of allergies? being an allergy free
family, we weren't worried at all, obviously we supervised DS because of the
choking risk with nuts, but now we haven't had to worry about him getting
his hands on a nut for nearly a year, because we know he knows what to do
because he learnt it at a young age. I was reading a book yesterday that was
talking about milestones, DS seems to be way ahead in the area of eating
food and ability to use implements, perhaps because of our exceedlingly
relaxed attitude to food!

Anne

Old October 13th 05, 09:08 AM
Larissa

Rice cereal also is not just pure rice. There are a couple of other
things in it, the Heinz? one had rosemary extract. I know of a couple
of babies who have reacted to rice cereal and it is notorious for
causing constipation. I ended up using it for thickening up some of my
own vegie and fruit purees.

Larissa

Old October 13th 05, 11:40 AM
Chookie

In article , "CY" wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051009/...aby_food_myths

Fascinating; I hadn't realised that the recommendation to delay allergens was
so poorly grounded in evidence.

Here, the recommendations a

Start solids at 6 mo.
Avoid nuts, strawberries, shellfish until 1yr due to allergy risk.
Avoid honey and raw root vegetables until 1yr (botulism risk).
Avoid hard foods, popcorn, etc until 1-3 yrs (choking risk).

Rice cereal is a recommended starter food, but so are pureed vegies and fruits.

I was at an ABA event once doing sales and a woman wanted a list of foods to
introduce, *in order*. Of course I couldn't supply it. "It isn't that
rigid," I said cheerfully. She becme enraged. "I'M NOT RIGID!" she shouted.
Frightening to watch her get so angry so fast. Anyone want to put a bet on
PND? :-(

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old October 13th 05, 12:12 PM
Cocoamum

Chookie skrev:
In article , "CY" wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051009/...aby_food_myths

Fascinating; I hadn't realised that the recommendation to delay allergens was
so poorly grounded in evidence.

Here, the recommendations a

Start solids at 6 mo.
Avoid nuts, strawberries, shellfish until 1yr due to allergy risk.
Avoid honey and raw root vegetables until 1yr (botulism risk).
Avoid hard foods, popcorn, etc until 1-3 yrs (choking risk).

I would also wait with citrus fruits (term? Oranges, lemon, lime etc),
chocolate and I believe peas.

Rice cereal is a recommended starter food, but so are pureed vegies and fruits.

Avocado

I was at an ABA event once doing sales and a woman wanted a list of foods to
introduce, *in order*. Of course I couldn't supply it. "It isn't that
rigid," I said cheerfully. She becme enraged. "I'M NOT RIGID!" she shouted.
Frightening to watch her get so angry so fast. Anyone want to put a bet on
PND? :-(

Nope :-)

Tine, Denmark
Old October 13th 05, 06:12 PM

CY writes:
: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051009/...aby_food_myths

Doh! Not exactly rocket science!

Larry

Old October 13th 05, 06:59 PM
Michelle J. Haines

wrote:
CY writes:
:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051009/...aby_food_myths

Doh! Not exactly rocket science!

Hmm. I have a history of allergy to tree nuts (walnuts, then pecans,
and now pistachios. *sniff* I love pistachios). But I didn't develop
these allergies until adulthood. So, do I worry about feeding my
infants potential allergens or not? This article is confusing.

Michelle
Flutist

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
Interesting local article on baby names sher General 292 October 1st 03 12:08 AM
Interesting local article on baby names sher Pregnancy 276 October 1st 03 12:08 AM
DCF CT monitor finds kids *worsen* while in state custody Kane General 8 August 13th 03 07:43 AM