baby burp problems

Old April 15th 08, 04:41 PM posted to misc.kids
Greg R

Default baby burp problems

We have a nearly 3 month old baby (just shy of 13oz.) at home that
REFUSES to burp. It does not matter if he's breatfeeding or using the
bottle, the same issue persists. While using the bottle (Dr. Brown
with level 2 nipple), he starts to squirm after 1oz of milk. We
attempt to burp him for literally 10-20 minutes but nothing comes
out. During this time he starts to get sleepy. If we attempt to put
him back on the bottle sooner, he squirms and doesn't really take in
an milk (drools it out). Finally after 20 minutes a burp will come
and if he's not too sleepy he'll continue eating another ounce or so.
This pattern continues and a normal 4 oz. feeding takes over an hour.
This started about 2 weeks ago or so, there's no other changes in him
or anything. Whil e burping we try everything, over the shoulder, him
sitting on our lap, laying down, nothing works!! We've tried burping
more ofter, also no better. We've tried the ant gas drops, still no
better. He does have infant reflux and is on Zantec (but has been for
awhile now, so don't think this is the cause). Any suggestions?
Old April 15th 08, 11:18 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

On Apr 15, 11:41*am, Greg R wrote:
We have a nearly 3 month old baby (just shy of 13oz.) at home that
REFUSES to burp.

Well, I don't know that burping is really REQUIRED. If he isn't
acting like he is uncomfortable and needs to burp, then don't worry
about it.
Old April 15th 08, 11:26 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

" wrote:

On Apr 15, 11:41*am, Greg R wrote:
We have a nearly 3 month old baby (just shy of 13oz.) at home that
REFUSES to burp.

My dad had a way of burping based on the configuration of the stomach.
On one side of where the esophagus goes in, the stomach sticks up
above the rest (I think on the right side). So he would sit the baby
on his knee facing him, and lean the baby over to the side - sitting
up straight but leaned over to one side. Then he would rock the baby
back and forth right to left to right, while patting on the back.

Is the baby only 13 ox?

He would also caution against using a pincher grip under the baby's
ears (round the back of the neck with the thumb on one side and the
forefinger on the other) because he said that would trigger the vagus
nerve and the baby would be more likely to spit up.
Old April 16th 08, 04:11 AM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

"Greg R" wrote in message
We have a nearly 3 month old baby (just shy of 13oz.) at home that
REFUSES to burp.

I had one baby that just didn't burp. It didn't seem to bother him.

I wonder if he is ready to space out his feeds slightly. Was he eating at a
regular pace up until a couple of weeks ago? How far apart are his feeds
now? Does he show signs of being hungry or is he on a schedule?

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old April 16th 08, 02:13 PM posted to misc.kids
Greg R

During the day his feeds are about 3-4 hours apart (4oz. each). At
night, he'll go 4-6 hours between 4 oz. feedings. During the feedings
he show definite signs of needing to burp. He gets very
uncomfortable, squirmy, stops eating, drools, etc. He will not eat
until he FINALLY burps after sometimes 20 minutes. His feeding times
are generally on demand, he lets us know he's hungry by getting fussy
and making the slurping noise with his mouth.

Old April 16th 08, 03:10 PM posted to misc.kids
Irrational Number

Greg R wrote:

We have a nearly 3 month old baby (just shy of 13oz.) at home that
REFUSES to burp.

So, don't burp him.

Pillbug burped just fine, Rocky threw up every time
I tried to burp him, so I stopped. He's fine.

-- Anita --
Old April 17th 08, 04:47 AM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

"Greg R" wrote in message
During the day his feeds are about 3-4 hours apart (4oz. each). At
night, he'll go 4-6 hours between 4 oz. feedings. During the feedings
he show definite signs of needing to burp. He gets very
uncomfortable, squirmy, stops eating, drools, etc. He will not eat
until he FINALLY burps after sometimes 20 minutes. His feeding times
are generally on demand, he lets us know he's hungry by getting fussy
and making the slurping noise with his mouth.

Well darn. Poor little guy. I think I'd give his doc a call to talk about
the reflux. I don't really know much about reflux so no advice from me on
that note.

Old April 17th 08, 06:21 AM posted to misc.kids
Akuvikate

On Apr 15, 8:41 am, Greg R wrote:
[...]

No great insights, just commiseration. I know many babies don't need
to burp -- the Bug didn't and that was nice. However Little Dude
audibly swallows a lot of air while he feeds, and spits up more when
he doesn't burp. And as all that air has to get out somehow, I
suspect it contributes to his gassiness if he doesn't burp. He's also
really hard to burp. I try my best but if I can't get it out of him,
I just give up. Sometimes if try again a little later it works.
Sometimes I try burping him before I start the next feed. More often
I just have to deal with a little more spitup and sympathize with his
gas pains.

One of these days I'm going to pay a social visit to the NICU, where
he spent a week after birth. I plan to ask the NICU nurses if they
have any special Jedi burping tricks -- will post them if I get any!

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, 4 and a half and three quarters
and Little Dude, 3/19/08
Old April 18th 08, 04:41 AM posted to misc.kids
mom0f4boys

My first son didn't burp easily until I figured out a sort of trick
(like Rosalie's dad). I know I am going to over-explain this, but
bear with me! I visualized the air in his belly, and figured that the
back-patting just wasn't getting it to bubble up and out. So I'd sit
him on my leg, resting his chin in my hand, and sort of lean him one
way, then another, back and forth.. giving taps on his back until out
it came. I still remember how staisfying it was to get 'a good one'!
haha

Old April 20th 08, 10:08 AM posted to misc.kids
Karen

Greg R wrote:
We've tried the ant gas drops, still no
better.

Have you tried Gripe Water? We gave it to DD only a couple of times, but
it always worked like magic. Once, she mis-swallowed and threw up all
over both of us, poor girl, but even that relieved her gasiness.

Have you had any success with the burping positions suggested by Rosalie
and momOf4boys? I'll give them a try (if there is a) next time.

Karen

BuRp! Bev Single Parents 0 November 25th 06 02:02 AM
Burp pad - when to stop [email protected] Pregnancy 5 May 11th 06 06:39 AM
Burp... and now... P. Fritz Single Parents 4 November 26th 05 04:16 AM
CSICOP: A burp in Intelligent Design (ID) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 1 October 28th 04 04:12 PM
Baby washcloths...and burp cloths Jill Pregnancy 31 March 15th 04 04:45 AM