Constant questioning

Old February 26th 08, 01:53 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

Default Constant questioning

I KNOW questioning is developmentally appropriate for a 3 yr old, but my
daughter's questioning about things she already knows is definitely on my
last nerve. I get questions like "What's a trash can", "What's the cat's
name", and all sorts of things that she's known for years. I also get
"where's Daddy" if he steps out of the room for a second, "where's my X",
and the omnipresent "Why is the sky blue?" "Why are we going to the
store"...and it doesn't matter if I've answered that same question 5 minutes
before, or 20 times previously. I assume she's working on developing
conversational skills, and I don't mind NEW questions-but I mind being asked
"How many bumps does Draggy have" when we've counted those 20 bumps about 50
times.

Is there any way of controlling this behavior while not stifling the child's
inquisitiveness, or do I just have to grit my teeth and look forward to next
fall, when she starts Pre-K and at least she'll have someone else to answer
her questions some of the time?

Old February 26th 08, 02:01 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Been there, done that!
#1 used to ask "what does "B U S S T O P P I N G" spell every time we got on
the bus.

#1 still tends to ask questions, she's naturally curious, and she wants the
real answer, not a made up one.

#2 asks the questions but isn't that interested in the answers now, it's
just conversation.

Debbie

Old February 26th 08, 02:07 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

Donna Metler wrote:
[...]

I wouldnt answer the questions but ask, what do you think? Why do you think
the sky is blue? ... See where the conversations go from there.

Old February 26th 08, 02:26 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

Perfectly normal. I would turn it around and ask them why they thought it
was or what they thought the answer was. If it was something I knew they
knew, I would just say, you know what that is.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 26th 08, 02:32 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"Donna Metler" wrote:

[...]

IMHO, this isn't just a child's inquisitiveness and you shouldn't just
grit your teeth. She's just talking, she's not asking real questions.
Don't feel that you will be a bad mommy if you don't answer every
question. You can encourage conversation (although it sounds like you
don't have to do much) without having to follow every gambit.

She has to learn how to talk without irritating people. So don't
answer the questions again and again. Ask her a question back.

For the bumps on Draggy, say You know that - how many bumps does
Draggy have? Can you count the bumps by yourself? (indulgent tone of
voice). Or how does Draggy feel about having bumps?

For the trash can - Laugh - What IS that?

Why the sky is blue? I don't know, ask Daddy. (a joke).

Or even - Mommy doesn't want to talk now. She needs to learn that
sometimes conversation is inappropriate (like when you are driving or
need to have your attention on the job at hand). It's all OK.

Old February 26th 08, 04:45 PM posted to misc.kids
deja.blues[_3_]

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Or even - Mommy doesn't want to talk now. She needs to learn that
sometimes conversation is inappropriate (like when you are driving or
need to have your attention on the job at hand). It's all OK.

I would say "My ears are tired!".

Old February 26th 08, 05:34 PM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines[_2_]

Donna Metler wrote:
I KNOW questioning is developmentally appropriate for a 3 yr old, but my
daughter's questioning about things she already knows is definitely on my
last nerve. I get questions like "What's a trash can", "What's the cat's
name", and all sorts of things that she's known for years. I also get
"where's Daddy" if he steps out of the room for a second, "where's my X",
and the omnipresent "Why is the sky blue?" "Why are we going to the
store"...and it doesn't matter if I've answered that same question 5 minutes
before, or 20 times previously. I assume she's working on developing
conversational skills, and I don't mind NEW questions-but I mind being asked
"How many bumps does Draggy have" when we've counted those 20 bumps about 50
times.

[snip]

I'd sometimes give answers the kid knew was nonsense:

eg 'why is the sky blue' 'because its not pink' etc.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old February 28th 08, 04:27 AM posted to misc.kids
MarieD

"Sue" wrote in message
Perfectly normal. I would turn it around and ask them why they thought it
was or what they thought the answer was. If it was something I knew they
knew, I would just say, you know what that is.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Yes, that's exactly how I handled it. Though there were times I would have
to announce that mama didn't want to answer any questions right now but
mostly I handled it the way Sue said.
After having 3 kids, I STILL don't know why kids ask questions they already
know the answer to! It's not like they are starved for attention lol
Marie

Motion Questioning Henry Child Support 58 October 30th 07 04:13 PM
Constant sniffing Laur? General 6 June 14th 04 09:13 PM
constant crying Melanie N General 26 May 18th 04 01:54 PM
constant vomiting Jess Pregnancy 6 January 29th 04 11:56 PM
Questioning Doctor's advice. karen hill Pregnancy 48 January 16th 04 12:01 AM