Feeding schedule

Old April 23rd 06, 04:41 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Default Feeding schedule

Hi all,

I'm having a heck of a time with getting the boys to nurse at the same time.
We manage it a few times a day. I try to wake the other up but they won't
feed decently if I do that, especially Ben. Then they end up eating again
in an hour. Is it to early to worry about/expect this or am I doing
something wrong? Ben doesn't nurse very efficiently and so gets some
supplementing which may complicate things. They are 2.5 weeks is all.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old April 24th 06, 08:39 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:41:45 -0500, "Nikki" wrote:

Hi all,

I'm having a heck of a time with getting the boys to nurse at the same time.
We manage it a few times a day. I try to wake the other up but they won't
feed decently if I do that, especially Ben. Then they end up eating again
in an hour. Is it to early to worry about/expect this or am I doing
something wrong? Ben doesn't nurse very efficiently and so gets some
supplementing which may complicate things. They are 2.5 weeks is all.

We never tried to do this. Even though it was more difficult for us,
especially at night, we let the babies eat when they wanted to. I
personally believe that's best for the babies.
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.co...ypictures.html

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net
Old April 24th 06, 01:15 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

"Seth Jackson" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:41:45 -0500, "Nikki" wrote:

Hi all,

I'm having a heck of a time with getting the boys to nurse at the same
time.
We manage it a few times a day. I try to wake the other up but they
won't
feed decently if I do that, especially Ben. Then they end up eating again
in an hour. Is it to early to worry about/expect this or am I doing
something wrong? Ben doesn't nurse very efficiently and so gets some
supplementing which may complicate things. They are 2.5 weeks is all.

We never tried to do this. Even though it was more difficult for us,
especially at night, we let the babies eat when they wanted to. I
personally believe that's best for the babies.

I sort of agree, which is probably why I'm having trouble with it! I'm not
much of a schedule person to begin with. Everyone I talk to says to feed at
the same time so it is nice to know that at least one person fed each on
their own schedule and survived :-).

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old April 24th 06, 05:23 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

From our observation, they don't mind too much if the shift is small (say
1/2 hr)
I would suggest, move them closer to each other by half an hour once a day
and try to maintain that cycle for a day.

Sometimes if one of them is cranky and nothing works, we have to give them
little milk in between feedings, and then their schedule goes off. Then we
try to bring them closer by 1/2 hr at a time.

We actually try to force them to stay as close to schedule as possible,
otherwise they want to eat every 1 hr and then they won't take enough. I
personally believe they need to learn that they will get food every 3 hrs
(or whatever is your cycle) and they need to eat enough to go on for 3 hrs
without eating. Now if that 3 hrs becomes 2.5 hrs or 3.5 hrs, we don't mind
too much.

Hope this helps,
Deepak
Father of Rohan and Dhruv 03/01/06

Old April 24th 06, 09:33 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

I liked feeding them at the same time, and I think it's a good thing to
TRY, to see if it works for you, but it's certainly possible to do it
otherwise. There are plenty of mothers/babies who don't like
simultaneous feeds who manage fine on separate ones. There is a big
difference between "This worked really, really well for me, so it's
worth a try" and "You just HAVE to do it the way that was so successful
for me," don'tcha know.

I think I've also heard of folks who had simultaneous feeds at some
times of the day and not others.

One mistake we definitely made (I think, can't go back and try it the
other way to prove my point!) was going on waking one when the other
woke at night when it was *consistently* the same one sleeping longer,
and she was getting harder and harder to wake. We should have taken
that as a sign that she was ready to sleep through. But that was later,
maybe four months. We were just terrified of playing tag team feedings
all night long, and having once achieved a night routine of one middle
of the night feed and one early morning feed, didn't want to mess with
that.

As for getting a routine going, I found a good first step was to do
more or less the same things in the same order every day, like taking a
walk at roughly the same time each morning. This was a big help for
*me* even more than the babies, because I didn't have to think too much
once I got the routine settled. I didn't have other children at the
same time, though.

--Helen

Old April 24th 06, 10:20 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Helen,

I could've written your post! I always woke the second baby when the
first one woke up, and it was always the same one waking first and
second. Then one time I woke the second and was carrying him into get
the bottle, and he fell back to sleep in my arms. DUH, a light went on
and I thought "gee, maybe he'll just keep sleeping"! And that was when
sleeping through started I, too, was afraid of getting NO sleep if
I had to feed on demand. It worked for us and I do believe it helped
them to get on a schedule as they really had no choice. I had a
five-year old at the time who had a very hard time adjusting to her
brothers being around, so I couldn't be a walking zombie all day. You
do what works for you and your babies, Nikki. You should know that if
you feed on demand you will basically get no sleep, but it sounds like
it's not working the other way anyway! It is still SO early, I would
keep trying feed them together and see if they get the hang of it,
maybe another week? And I should mention that for me, I would feed the
baby who woke first then wake the second one as soon as the first one
finished, that was for the first month or so. Then I discovered that
if I feed them together, the total feed time would only be about a half
hour and they would go right back to sleep. More sleep for me that
way! They were also bottle-fed so I know that makes a difference.

Hang in there,
Ellen

Old April 24th 06, 11:18 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

wrote in message

I think I've also heard of folks who had simultaneous feeds at some
times of the day and not others.

This is what we are doing right now.

One mistake we definitely made (I think, can't go back and try it the
other way to prove my point!) was going on waking one when the other
woke at night when it was *consistently* the same one sleeping longer,
and she was getting harder and harder to wake. We should have taken
that as a sign that she was ready to sleep through. But that was later,
maybe four months.

Oh - good tip! I'm not sure what I'll do at night. My help went home and
tonight is the first night dh will be helping. I hope it works out. I
very much want these babies to sleep primarily in their cribs. I'm thinking
dh either won't help at all (never did a thing with the other two at night)
or he'll bring them down stairs and sit in the rocker/recliner with them and
watch TV. Not so good for getting them to sleep alone in their cribs.
Hopefully I'm wrong :-)

As for getting a routine going, I found a good first step was to do
more or less the same things in the same order every day, like taking a
walk at roughly the same time each morning.

I'm so much better then when I had my first. These babies are lucky they
aren't firsts!

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old April 24th 06, 11:21 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

"Ellen" wrote in message

You should know that if
you feed on demand you will basically get no sleep, but it sounds like
it's not working the other way anyway!

We are doing a bit of both right now. The good news is that if I can get dh
to help at night I can actually sleep a fair amount while they are eating
since I am nursing.

It is still SO early, I would
keep trying feed them together and see if they get the hang of it,
maybe another week?

I do like feeding them together. It *is* really early. I need to remember
that!

Hang in there,

Thanks, I've had a lot of help and they still sleep a lot during the day so
right now I'm doing really well. Reality will set in though as my aunt
left. She had been here and was a lot of help. I'm sure they will
eventually *wake* up and be a lot more work during the day too!

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old April 26th 06, 05:45 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

2.5 weeks is a bit early to expect them to nurse together well all the
time. Keep trying some...during the day. Once each of my girls had
nursing down well on their own, it was quite a while before tandem
nursing was actually more efficient than nursing one, then the other.

Old May 11th 06, 12:00 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

mine were both 6 + weeks before tandem went well. Good luck! : )