wood heat

Old July 13th 03, 01:21 PM
Stephanie and Tim

Default wood heat

We just bought a house (yeah) and are moving next weekend. We have an oil
heater AND a woodstove. My mom mentioned that wood heat is bad for our
little 'uns. Well us too. I have a 2.5 yo and a baby on the way in
September. What do you all know about smoke from wood heat? DH thinks the
whole world is carcenogenic so screw it. (How is THAT for male logic, to be
grosly stereotyping.) Anyone have any info? SIDS risk?

Thanks

P.S. I also have to compare how much money heating with wood is going to
save us compared to homeowner's insurance. But I want cover all the bases.

Old July 13th 03, 03:31 PM
Michelle Podnar

As long as it is ventilated properly there is no problem. The only
annoyance is that the temp is never constant, so you have temp flucuations
which can be difficult for a new baby. Also, it is quite dry, so make sure
you have a humidifier where the new baby will sleep.

Michelle P
.. .

Old July 13th 03, 10:48 PM
H Schinske

"Stephanie and Tim" wrote in
m:

We just bought a house (yeah) and are moving next weekend. We have an
oil heater AND a woodstove. My mom mentioned that wood heat is bad for
our little 'uns. Well us too. I have a 2.5 yo and a baby on the way in
September. What do you all know about smoke from wood heat?

It's quite polluting to the outside world when lots of folks are burning wood
(we frequently have burn bans in Seattle when the smog is bad already), but if
you have it well vented your personal indoor air quality shouldn't suffer. Ask
the guy who does the house inspection, and maybe call a chimney sweep or
something.

I'd worry more about keeping the kids away from it, but I'm sure there is a way
to do that.

--Helen
Old July 14th 03, 05:31 AM
Laurie

Stephanie and Tim wrote in message ...
We just bought a house (yeah) and are moving next weekend. We have an oil
heater AND a woodstove. My mom mentioned that wood heat is bad for our
little 'uns. Well us too. I have a 2.5 yo and a baby on the way in
September. What do you all know about smoke from wood heat? DH thinks the
whole world is carcenogenic so screw it. (How is THAT for male logic, to be
grosly stereotyping.) Anyone have any info? SIDS risk?

Thanks

Ugh, my only thought is that it's so dry, but I didn't realize it's
carcinogenic too. Is that a fact? Scary.

Congrats on the house! Are you still in the Burlington area?

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 12 weeks

*This email address is now valid*

Old July 14th 03, 12:19 PM
Stephanie and Tim

"Laurie" wrote in message

Stephanie and Tim wrote in message ...
We just bought a house (yeah) and are moving next weekend. We have an oil
heater AND a woodstove. My mom mentioned that wood heat is bad for our
little 'uns. Well us too. I have a 2.5 yo and a baby on the way in
September. What do you all know about smoke from wood heat? DH thinks the
whole world is carcenogenic so screw it. (How is THAT for male logic, to

be
grosly stereotyping.) Anyone have any info? SIDS risk?

Thanks

Ugh, my only thought is that it's so dry, but I didn't realize it's
carcinogenic too. Is that a fact? Scary.

Congrats on the house! Are you still in the Burlington area?

Yes. We got the perfect house in Fairfax VT. We are spitting distance to the
river. It's terrific.

Old July 14th 03, 10:01 PM
Laurie

Stephanie and Tim wrote in message ...

"Laurie" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Wonderful! Good for you!

Old July 14th 03, 10:42 PM
Tracey

Stephanie and Tim wrote:
What do you all know about smoke from wood heat? DH thinks the
whole world is carcenogenic so screw it. (How is THAT for male logic, to
be grosly stereotyping.) Anyone have any info? SIDS risk?

Well, I know that when we have a fire in our fireplace, the smoke smell gets
into EVERYTHING and it sticks around. When I go out, I can still smell it
on our clothes, and so can everyone else. Personally, I hate that.

The other worst part about using wood heat is that it is extremely drying.
I wouldn't use my fireplace on any regular basis without having a good size
humidifier to run constantly.

The other main thing that I can say is: Make very sure that the chimney is
cleaned on a regular basis.

Last time we bought wood (in CT) it cost us $140 for a cord. We only use
the fireplace sometimes, so I can't help you figure how much you might
possibly need if you are using woood for most of your heating.