Water stains on walls? (OT)

Old July 14th 03, 07:00 AM
Ali's Daddie

Default Water stains on walls? (OT)

"Laurie" wrote in message
| Anyone know of a way to rub water stains out of walls? We mistakenly had
| out house painted with flat (aka unwashable) paint, and they've gotten
| pretty filthy. I finally decided the other night that the water stains are
| better than the dirt on them from 2 dogs, a cat and a toddler, so I washed
| them in several places. They do, in fact, look better, but I have the
water
| stains nonetheless. Any remedies? It's not terribly obvious, but a bit
| annoying.

I might be wrong, but the best bet is to either repaint, or wash the rest of
the walls so they look the same. You might have luck just plugging in a
humidifier in the rooms you washed and see if that will even it out instead
of washing all the walls yourself.

My grandmother had a similar problem, and she bought a small humidifier and
used it for about 2 months and the walls all ended up becoming more even
(her water stains were also on the ceilings, and it got that clears up a bit
too)

Of course, she lives in a very dry area of the country, so it might not work
for you.

Ok, I have to sleep. (long drive tomorrow)

--

LES!

Daddie to Alegra Lee. May 25th 2003!
"Daddie's Little Diva"

before you reply to me via email, please remove your hat
ourHat

Take a look at my eBay auctions I just might have something you can't live
without :-)
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/dads2003/

Old July 14th 03, 11:16 AM
just me

"Laurie" wrote in message
Anyone know of a way to rub water stains out of walls? We mistakenly had
out house painted with flat (aka unwashable) paint, and they've gotten
pretty filthy. I finally decided the other night that the water stains are
better than the dirt on them from 2 dogs, a cat and a toddler, so I washed
them in several places. They do, in fact, look better, but I have the

water
stains nonetheless. Any remedies? It's not terribly obvious, but a bit
annoying.

If your water stains are due to a leak or something similar the only way to
really remove them is to repaint after covering the stained area with Kilz
[not expensive], which you can get at your local paint store.

-Aula

---

Old July 14th 03, 12:37 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes "Laurie" wrote:

Anyone know of a way to rub water stains out of walls? We mistakenly had
out house painted with flat (aka unwashable) paint, and they've gotten
pretty filthy. I finally decided the other night that the water stains are
better than the dirt on them from 2 dogs, a cat and a toddler, so I washed
them in several places. They do, in fact, look better, but I have the water
stains nonetheless. Any remedies? It's not terribly obvious, but a bit
annoying.

Water stains??

Did you wash from the bottom up? I've heard that recommended because
if you do from the top, the dirty drips will be hard to eradicate. I
never understood that, but it's what I heard.

BUt I've never heard of even flat paint getting water stains unless
there was a leak somewhere. The problem that I've seen with flat
paint is that the color changes if you wash it because you take some
microscopic layer off.

In any case, if you do repaint you probably need to put a sealer on
first.

grandma Rosalie
Old July 14th 03, 02:09 PM
Laurie

Rosalie B. wrote in message ...
[...]

Ahh, this may be a more accurate description of what happened, then, Thanks,

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 12 weeks

*This email address is now valid*

Old July 15th 03, 01:54 AM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes "Laurie" wrote:

cloud nine wrote in message ...
Laurie,

No advise, but I feel your pain!! We also have flat paint all throughout
the house. Big mistake, big, huge! (with kids anyway!) I can't wait to
repaint!

No kidding. My dad built our house, and he is used to building million
dollar homes in a very ritzy town. Apparently the rich like flat paint, I
guess it's considered "classier" or something, and his painter always uses
flat paint on his client's homes. Anyway, he never thought to tell the
painter to use glossy paint in our very non-million-dollar home, and we just
assumed it would be glossy, and that's what happened.

I think you really want semi-gloss. Glossy paint is normally only
used on woodwork or kitchens. You can get washable semi-gloss and you
can even get washable flat or satin finish paint if you are willing
to pay for it.

I personally would rather just repaint rather than try to scrub the
walls, especially as dh does the painting.g

http://www.thekcrachannel.com/housea...65/detail.html
says:

Choosing Paints:
Acrylic latex is the best quality, acrylic vinyl is the second-best
quality and vinyl latex is of a lower quality. Acrylic latex holds its
color better than an oil-based paint and is usually better for
exterior paint jobs. Oil-based paints take longer to dry, but cover
better for trim work and are a good hard finish for cabinets

FLAT Interior Latex -- available in regular and washable.
SATIN Interior Latex -- very washable and offers good coverage.
SEMI GLOSS Interior Oil or Latex -- usually used in kitchens, baths
and on trim.
GLOSS Interior Latex -- usually used only on smooth surfaces, because
imperfections are more visible with high sheen. This is the most
expensive paint to apply, because more time and effort are necessary
to apply perfectly.
EGGSHELL Interior Latex -- covers well and is very washable.

grandma Rosalie
Old July 15th 03, 04:38 AM
Laurie

cloud nine wrote in message ...
[...]

Yup, you're correct. Semi gloss is what I meant.