FAQ for new member?

Old November 14th 03, 08:25 PM
Zucca4

Default FAQ for new member?

Just joined this group as my baby is expected in about two weeks, Godwilling

I've read a bunch of books, taken a class, and even gotten the name of a good
lactation consultant should any problems arise. I don't want to end up giving
up like so many of my relatives.

Is there an initial FAQ for new members? Or a Most Useful Advice page etc?

Thanks so much,
Lisa
Old November 15th 03, 05:15 AM
Irrational Number

We don't have a FAQ here, but that is a very good idea.
One phrase that _has_ to be in it would be "this, too,
shall pass" (whenever people ask, why does my baby
stay latched on to me all the time??).

But, for now, please join us and keep asking questions
whenever you need to.

-- Anita --
Mommy to Pillbug, 5 months old

--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old November 15th 03, 06:04 AM
iphigenia

Zucca4 wrote:

Is there an initial FAQ for new members? Or a Most Useful Advice page
etc?

There should be, but it would be SO huge, I'm afraid!

The site I find myself referring to most often is kellymom.com. Very useful.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old November 15th 03, 05:00 PM
Jacqueline McKeig

Hello Lisa and welcome. I am also a new subscriber to this newsgroup. I
started reading this newsgroup because I was having a ton of trouble and I
was to stubborn to give up. Like you my sister (relative) gave up
breastfeeding and many of my friends gave up or did not even try. My mother
nursed 5 babies and millions of moms did before her so I thought there is no
way I will let a little hard work defeat me. Breastfeeding, I have found,
requires a lot of hard work and dedication and the best of times. That of
course is not mentioning any medical problems that might occur. My baby
girl will be 12 wk. on Sunday. For the entire 12 weeks my mother law has
been 100% against me breastfeeding and I have had to take my daughter to the
hospital 2 times for what appeared to be gas build up in her large
intestine, in addition to that my little angle has blessed me with colic.
Where there is a will there is always a way. Support from your loved ones
helps. My husband supports me because he sees the benefits of breastmilk
first hand. Kaylyn's (that is my daughters name) cousin was born only 12
days before she was and is on formula.

I wish you the best of luck and I give you all the support in the world.

Old November 17th 03, 09:54 AM

"Zucca4" wrote in message
Just joined this group as my baby is expected in about two weeks,

Godwilling

I've read a bunch of books, taken a class, and even gotten the name of a

good
lactation consultant should any problems arise. I don't want to end up

giving
up like so many of my relatives.

Is there an initial FAQ for new members? Or a Most Useful Advice page etc?

Thanks so much,
Lisa

Not sure about a FAQ but here's my advice :-)

See http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org..../getstart.html for
links to some good latch pics online.

The only other things you need to remember a

a) Positioning - get this right as soon as you can and you can virtually
eliminate most problems.
b) Remember supply and demand, feed your baby as and when they want to and
you'll always make enough milk for them.
c) At the first sign of any problems, get help immediately. Very few BF
problems can't be resolved, most can if you get there early and get some
professional help.

Above all relax, have a great birth and meet of the new human joining your
family! I'm sure you'll do great with the breastfeeding.

Nikki

Old November 17th 03, 01:58 PM
Cheryl S.

iphigenia wrote in message
Zucca4 wrote:

Is there an initial FAQ for new members? Or a Most Useful Advice

page
etc?

There should be, but it would be SO huge, I'm afraid!

I agree mkb should have a FAQ. Could we divide it up and each person
who feels able to, volunteer to write the answer to one question? I am
willing to coordinate. What should the questions be? Off the top of my
head, I would include sections on:

Latching and various holds
Sore nipples
Engorgement
Baby wants to nurse all the time so mom thinks she doesn't have enough
milk
Plugged Ducts
Pumping and milk storage
Thrush
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 7 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

New member Kazh Pregnancy 9 May 29th 04 07:22 AM
How much should I budget for medical expenses if I am a BCBS member? C. S. Pregnancy 5 May 17th 04 05:43 PM
| Most hostile member this NG? Most insults, emot. abuse Kane General 24 December 19th 03 11:57 AM
New member of this group (after lurking) ModernMiko Pregnancy 20 October 30th 03 01:18 AM
New member has questions JNJ Pregnancy 16 September 24th 03 02:53 PM