Vent: solids and a 6 mo

Old December 23rd 03, 05:37 AM
KC

Default Vent: solids and a 6 mo

Has she tried giving water in a sippy cup? My dd just never did take
very vehemently to the bottle, but loved sippy cups of water. Now on
the occasions I am gone if she gets hungry my dh gives my dd food and
water rather than ebm. My dd is 7 months, but we have been doing this
intermittently for months and my dd is way ahead developmentally, and
is not sickly, so I think it is working out okay. I also introduced
new foods rapidly with both my kids. They both reacted to problem
foods the day they were served them, so we knew what to cut out for
awhile.

KC

"A&G&K" wrote in message ...
"Sue" wrote in message
Well it's like the old saying, you can lead a horse to water, but you

can't
make them drink. Give her the information, but your going to have to let

her
raise her own child the way she sees fit. I personally would back off. You
don't like it when people want you to do things to your baby that you are
not comfortable with, so why should she.

I personally don't see why so many on this board get so worked up over
solids. It's not like she is starting really early.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Thanks Sue,
The reason I won't back off is that I am worried about the child ... it was
35 degrees CELSIUS here yesterday ... far too hot for a 6 mo to go *7 hours*
without liquid!
The other reason is that this particular friend is always telling everyone
else how to do things ... ... so I think its important she doesn't get so
used to the sound of her own voice that she fails to see that her child may
be in danger of dehydration. I figure that if she is so happy to give
advice, then she has to have it both ways, and listen to others as well.

I will always intervene if I think a child's health is in danger.

Cheers
Amanda

Old December 23rd 03, 05:48 AM
Mom2Aries

Default solids and a 6 mo

Ahh, sorry, I tend to forget that I'm a neurotic when it comes to food. :-)
I follow a chart for adding foods to the allergic babies diet, even though
so far Aries has had no allergic reactions... I do it to be on the safe
side. And to help with allergies, from 6-9 months all fruits and veggies
should be cooked... then after that, apples should still be cooked. Though
I guess now, I'm not exactly sure why. Hmm.

But anyway, this is what I use
http://www.hallpublications.com/title2_sample2.html

Are you sure? Both my pedi and a book I have say raw fruits are okay with

being careful about choking hazards.

KC

Old December 23rd 03, 04:30 PM
Akuvikate

"A&G&K" wrote in message ...
"Sue" wrote in message
[...]

Just to second and modify this idea -- the Bug won't take water from a
bottle and hasn't yet really figured out the sippy cup, but she
*loves* water if I just tip a little cup into her mouth. I know
babies can hold out for a long time if they're not bottle fans, but I
suspect that if s/he is getting dehydrated this baby will take some
easily available water.

Kate
and the Bug, June 8 2003
Old December 23rd 03, 05:10 PM
Sue

A&G&K wrote in message

Thanks Sue,
The reason I won't back off is that I am worried about the child ... it

was
35 degrees CELSIUS here yesterday ... far too hot for a 6 mo to go *7
hours* without liquid!

How do you know the baby went 7 hours without drinking? Were you there the
whole time? If you were there, how come you didn't give the baby something
to drink? I know I sound sarcastic, but I really don't mean to. You have
your way of raising your child, and she has hers. She also may exaggerate
what she is doing to get your goat, especially if *you* come off being a
know it all. Aside from physical abuse that I witness myself, I don't
intervene in anyone's elses child and how they decide to raise them.

And it doesn't sound as bad as the stupid mother I saw this morning at the
doctor's office. It is pouring down the rain here, 37 degrees F (sorry I
don't know what that is in celcius) with her child in no coat, no shoes and
no socks. I know it's not that cold, but how stupid can you get, taking the
kid to the doctor and not have shoes or socks on. This child was old enough
that he should of had shoes and socks on.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 23rd 03, 05:17 PM
Dawn Lawson

Sue wrote:
A&G&K wrote in message

[...]

By your logic, that should be her choice, and a perfectly acceptable
parenting decision. However, you were there...why didn't you put shoes
and socks on the child?
What age is it when children require shoes and socks?
And dehydration risk is better than not wearing shoes and socks in
37F/3C weather how?

Dawn

Old December 23rd 03, 06:36 PM
AlenasMom

Are green peas really bad for a 6 month old? Alena's not allergic to
anything yet, but those are what we started on Saturday. Oh oh..
"Mom2Aries" wrote in message
Ahh, sorry, I tend to forget that I'm a neurotic when it comes to food.

:-)

Old December 23rd 03, 07:44 PM
Mom2Aries

I'm not sure about bad, but they are allergenic... and even my incompetant
nurse (not at the peds office, though) said to wait until at least 9 months
before giving peas. I waited until 10 months to introduce them. But
delaying them I believe is more for the allergenic child... though I have
known some mothers of perfectly healthy baby's say the peas gave a diaper
rash.

ble.rogers.com...

Old December 23rd 03, 08:19 PM
A&G&K

"Sue" wrote in message
A&G&K wrote in message

Thanks Sue,
The reason I won't back off is that I am worried about the child ... it

was
35 degrees CELSIUS here yesterday ... far too hot for a 6 mo to go *7
hours* without liquid!

How do you know the baby went 7 hours without drinking?

Because they told me this has happened on a few occaisions in the last week.
I dunno - the fact that my friend works about half an hour away from where
the baby *is* makes it believeable ... they have no reason to lie about this
.... its not like its something they would brag about??

Were you there the
whole time? If you were there, how come you didn't give the baby something
to drink? I know I sound sarcastic, but I really don't mean to. You have
your way of raising your child, and she has hers. She also may exaggerate
what she is doing to get your goat, especially if *you* come off being a
know it all. Aside from physical abuse that I witness myself, I don't
intervene in anyone's elses child and how they decide to raise them.

I'm sorry but not doing something for child that hasn't had any liquid for 7
hours in ... I can't stress this enough ... *35* degree CELSIUS (95 F) heat
is dangerous! I don't think you are comprehending how physically draining
that heat is when it goes on for a week at a time. My DD drank about 7-8
sippy cups of water yesterday as well as about 5 bfs and 125 ml of cows milk
.... and she usually only wants about 1-2 cups of water a day and 2-3 bf.
The baby has also had bouts of constipation in the past two weeks which is
another indication that she is not getting enough liquid (...and I've heard
about nearly every bowel movement this child has had since she was born and
its been three times a day bm mush for the last few months up until solids
were introduced).

Also - this friend likes to give advice (I normally shut up if its just a
different parenting style) so I guess she must also like to receive it.
She asked me about different kinds of sippy cups to try. She doesn't do or
say things to "get my goat". We have a strong friendship and always will.
She freely admits to not ever knowing anything about babies until I had one.

And it doesn't sound as bad as the stupid mother I saw this morning at the
doctor's office. It is pouring down the rain here, 37 degrees F (sorry I
don't know what that is in celcius) with her child in no coat, no shoes

and
no socks. I know it's not that cold, but how stupid can you get, taking

the
kid to the doctor and not have shoes or socks on. This child was old

enough
that he should of had shoes and socks on.

Sorry - I happen to think that dehydration *is* as bad if not worse than a
child without shoes and socks on in cold weather. ... unless of course he
was going hiking for the day.

Amanda

Old December 23rd 03, 09:07 PM
Sue

A&G&K wrote in message
I'm sorry but not doing something for child that hasn't had any liquid for
7 hours in ... I can't stress this enough ... *35* degree CELSIUS (95 F)
heat is dangerous! I don't think you are comprehending how physically
draining that heat is when it goes on for a week at a time.

Sorry, I knew once I wrote that, you would think no socks was worse than
dehydration. Just for the record, that's not what I mean. I just mean
sometimes parents do dumb things. Hopefully, not too dumb that the child is
harmed.

I don't know your friend, so I am trying to establish if she is telling the
truth or if she is a truth stretcher because she is upset at the advice you
are trying to give her. So, while dad is at home, he isn't trying to get
some liquids down the child? What does dad say about this? I mean maybe you
can get him to see that the baby can't go that long without fluids. It's
unfathomable that they would be that dumb to not give the baby some
breastmilk, formula or water. That's what I would be upset about, not the
rate of solids being given. Good luck.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 23rd 03, 09:09 PM
Sue

That's odd. The first food peass were one of the first things we started
with, but that was six years ago, ancient times for sure.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)