Pumping vs. baby-sucking strength?

Old January 21st 04, 08:08 PM
Zucca4

Default Pumping vs. baby-sucking strength?

Why is that when I put my baby boy to my breast he draws the milk out almost
instantly and when I use my Medela electric Pump in Style it sometimes takes a
good ten minutes to get the milk coming out? The sucking seems to be the same
intensity. Sometimes when my baby has had enough and there is obviously still a
lot more left in my breast I will use the pump and to draw out what remains and
it will still take a few minutes even though milk had been flowing out seconds
before....

Weird.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to maximize my pumping output? Even though
I have the electric double pump I only use it for one breast at a time b/c
there is more suction that way. Seems like a waste of 300 dollars. I wish I
had known then

Thanks,
Lisa
Old January 21st 04, 08:18 PM
Lucy

"Zucca4" wrote in message
Why is that when I put my baby boy to my breast he draws the milk out

almost
instantly and when I use my Medela electric Pump in Style it sometimes

takes a
good ten minutes to get the milk coming out? The sucking seems to be the

same
intensity.

I think it's more to do with technique than sucking power

Babies usually are better at getting milk than a pump.

Sometimes when my baby has had enough and there is obviously still a
lot more left in my breast I will use the pump and to draw out what

remains and
it will still take a few minutes even though milk had been flowing out

seconds
before....

Weird.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to maximize my pumping output? Even

though
I have the electric double pump I only use it for one breast at a time b/c
there is more suction that way. Seems like a waste of 300 dollars. I wish

had known then

Personally, I've found with my Medela PIS that I get a bigger output with
the suction turned down quite low. I got nothing with it cranked higher.

I have the cycle frequency somewhere in the middle.

Maybe try experimenting with the suction and frequency controls until you
find what works best for you?

Just one other question, once you get the letdown and the milk starts
flowing, do you get a good output then? There are various techniques for
helping with letdown that might make it happen earlier. I find that
meditating while I pump helps me relax and let down quite quickly. Taking
your mind off things by reading a book/magazine can help too. There's
nothing worse than thinking about how the milk is not coming to put you on
edge!

Also, you can try pumping one breast while nursing on the other, although I
have never been able to manage that.

Lucy

Old January 21st 04, 08:37 PM
New York Jen

"Zucca4" wrote in message
[...]

Babies are MUCH more efficient suckers than any pump ya get. I used to get
so frustrated and always thought my milk was drying up because I was only
able to pump small amounts at any given time. Then I learned that babies do
a MUCH better job. The baby is way better at stimulating let down than an
electric (or manual) contraption pretty much 100% of the time.

Don't sweat it!

- Jen

Old January 21st 04, 08:59 PM
Plissken

"Richard" wrote in message
| Zucca4 wrote:
| : Why is that when I put my baby boy to my breast he draws the milk out
almost
| : instantly and when I use my Medela electric Pump in Style it sometimes
takes a
| : good ten minutes to get the milk coming out? The sucking seems to be
the same
| : intensity. Sometimes when my baby has had enough and there is obviously
still a
| : lot more left in my breast I will use the pump and to draw out what
remains and
| : it will still take a few minutes even though milk had been flowing out
seconds
| : before....
| :
| : Weird.
|
| Not at all. Someone posted a video of an open-mouthed sleeping baby
clearly
| showing a baby's tongue action when nursing. No electric pump can do
that!
| (Whoever it was, could you please re-post the URL?) Babies are very
efficient
| pumps.
|
| : Any suggestions as to what I can do to maximize my pumping output? Even
though
| : I have the electric double pump I only use it for one breast at a time
b/c
| : there is more suction that way. Seems like a waste of 300 dollars. I
wish I
| : had known then
|
| Decreased suction, yes, but the increased stimulation of having both
breasts
| pumped simultaneously outweighs the decrease in suction. Try pumping both
| breasts at once. You'll probably see in increase.

Don't know if this is what you are talking about Richard but it shows quite
well the sucking action of the baby. No pump can replicate this...

http://breastfeeding.com/helpme/helpme_video.html

Go to Breastfeeding Basics, Physiology of Nursing

Nadene

Old January 22nd 04, 07:32 AM
KC

"Plissken" wrote in message news:uKBPb.214086$ts4.85927@pd7tw3no...
Don't know if this is what you are talking about Richard but it shows quite
well the sucking action of the baby. No pump can replicate this...

No pump can replicate this, but people who don't have pumps yet should
know that Whittlestone Breast Expressers are the closest to
replicating it.

KC
Old January 22nd 04, 01:35 PM

Zucca4 wrote:
Why is that when I put my baby boy to my breast he draws the milk out almost
instantly and when I use my Medela electric Pump in Style it sometimes takes a
good ten minutes to get the milk coming out? The sucking seems to be the same
intensity. Sometimes when my baby has had enough and there is obviously still a
lot more left in my breast I will use the pump and to draw out what remains and
it will still take a few minutes even though milk had been flowing out seconds
before....

Weird.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to maximize my pumping output? Even though
I have the electric double pump I only use it for one breast at a time b/c
there is more suction that way. Seems like a waste of 300 dollars. I wish I
had known then

I use the PIS 4 times a day, so I'm pretty good at it now! I find that
pumping both breasts at the same time produces more from each breast. I
know there is a little more suction on the one side if you only do one,
but you usually get more let-downs if you double pump. Since it's taking
you 10 minutes to get the milk coming out, you're probably having problems
letting down for the pump and double pumping would help that. I find that
I achieve let-down much quicker if I totally don't think about it (sort of
like the watched pot never boiling). I hook up both horns, crank the thing
up, and then start reading. Usually a minute or so into my read, I feel
let-down and then hear the milk pouring into the bottles. Some people do a
little massage firsts to help get everything going.

Manda
Old January 22nd 04, 08:05 PM
Zucca4

"The other thing for the original poster to consider is if the phlanges are
the right size. The Yahoo group pumpmoms used to have lots of good
tips for maximizing pump output.
"

Thanks Mary I tried to join pumpmoms but for some reason have never been
able to get on. I always get some message that says to try again later. Who
knows...

Are the phlanges the actual things that cover your nipples to withdraw the
milk? I've wondered if there are larger ones as my areolas are quite big and
only my nipple fits inside the contraption.

Please let me know as I would order them in a heartbeat

Thanks,Lisa
Old January 22nd 04, 08:19 PM
zeldabee

Zucca4 was all, like:
"The other thing for the original poster to consider is if the
phlanges are the right size. The Yahoo group pumpmoms used to have
lots of good
tips for maximizing pump output.
"

Thanks Mary I tried to join pumpmoms but for some reason have
never been able to get on. I always get some message that says to
try again later. Who knows...

Are the phlanges the actual things that cover your nipples to
withdraw the milk? I've wondered if there are larger ones as my
areolas are quite big and only my nipple fits inside the contraption.

Please let me know as I would order them in a heartbeat

This is the first link I could find, but you might be able to find them
elsewhere.

http://www.affordable-breastfeeding-...perbreasa.html

I use the large (27mm) size. I bought a pair of the 30mm size, but they're
too big. If you're in the States, I'd be happy to send them to you if it
turns out that's the size you need. (They come in two pieces, connector and
shield, so you'd need the connectors. This site sells them together; I
bought mine separately.)

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old January 22nd 04, 08:39 PM
Mary W.

Zucca4 wrote:

Thanks Mary I tried to join pumpmoms but for some reason have never been
able to get on. I always get some message that says to try again later. Who
knows...

Hmmm... Its been awhile since I've been on, so I don't know what's up
with the list anymore.

Are the phlanges the actual things that cover your nipples to withdraw the
milk? I've wondered if there are larger ones as my areolas are quite big and
only my nipple fits inside the contraption.

Yes. I guess another term is horns. If you dig up your PIS manual I think
they talk about nipple size and whether you might want to go to a bigger
horn. I've heard good things about Medela's customer service, so you
could call them and see what they suggest. I can't remember what
the rule of thumb is, but Medela should be able to help you.

Mary