Fist Sucking?

Old January 23rd 04, 03:29 AM
melizabeth

Default Fist Sucking?

Children use sucking as a means of calming themselves. I wouldn't consider
it a nervous habit, just a typical reflex that many newborns have.

--
M~Elizabeth

To thine own self be true
"Zucca4" wrote in message
The one thing that really undermines my nursing confidence is my 8 week

old's
tendency to suck on his fist like a madman, even minutes after a nursing.

was under the assumption that this was a feeding cue especially when he

would
also open his little mouth and turn his head to the side, however he

almost
always opens his mouth when I tickle his cheek. He seems to ALWAYS be

hungry...

He is gaining weight and I desperatley want to believe my body is

producing
enough milk for him, however the fist sucking really gets to my heart I
always think he's hungry and not getting enough. However when I put him to

the
breast again after a decent nursing period he'll only suckle for a minute

or
two and get lazy or fall asleep.

Maybe ths is just a nervous habit?

What do you guys think?

Lisa

Old January 23rd 04, 03:50 AM
Nina

Default human pacifier- was fist sucking

"Sue" wrote in message
"Sue" wrote
That's why lots of people use pacifiers because they have a sucky baby
and they don't want to be a human pacifier.

Nina wrote in message
I hate that term.IMO it signals a whole different mindset from mine. To
think of yourself as a human pacifier, means you feel you are being in
place of a pacifier. I think I like the term "dummy" just because it
indicates,imo, the proper relationship. The pacifier is a dummy, a fake
teat. THe pacifier is the substitute mom, not the mom a substitute
pacifier.

I was just using a term that I have heard used here often, sorry. I meant
nothing by it. It wasn't something that I came up with on my own.

I know, i should have stated that I wasnt speaking of you, but just that
term in general. Sorry.!

Old January 23rd 04, 04:43 AM
Kereru

Nina wrote in message
I hate that term.IMO it signals a whole different mindset from mine.

think of yourself as a human pacifier, means you feel you are being in
place of a pacifier. I think I like the term "dummy" just because it
indicates,imo, the proper relationship. The pacifier is a dummy, a

fake
teat. THe pacifier is the substitute mom, not the mom a substitute
pacifier.

I was just using a term that I have heard used here often, sorry. I

meant
nothing by it. It wasn't something that I came up with on my own.

I know, i should have stated that I wasnt speaking of you, but just that
term in general. Sorry.!

I know what you mean. I live in New Zealand and we all call it a dummy here
(well everyone I know anyway). Because as you say it's a "dummy" nipple.

Judy

Old January 23rd 04, 10:24 AM
Anne Rogers

if it's after nursing, it almost certainly isn't a sign of hunger (baby
would probably scream if that was the case), so it's probably a comfort
thing, or exploring, learning that the fist belongs! all ds's pictures
from the hospital have him with a fist in his mouth, he found it straight
after birth, he doesn't do it much anymore.

Old January 23rd 04, 03:23 PM
zeldabee

Anne Rogers was all, like:
if it's after nursing, it almost certainly isn't a sign of hunger
(baby would probably scream if that was the case), so it's probably a
comfort thing, or exploring, learning that the fist belongs! all ds's
pictures from the hospital have him with a fist in his mouth, he
found it straight after birth, he doesn't do it much anymore.

Sprogly now tries to get both his fists into his mouth at the same time.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old January 23rd 04, 05:01 PM
Sue

Nina wrote in message
I know, i should have stated that I wasnt speaking of you, but just that
term in general. Sorry.!

Ah. I'm not sure what else to call it since they are pacifiers, at least
that is the technical name for them. Dummy is fine, but I sure don't want to
say a human dummy. ;o)
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 23rd 04, 06:33 PM
Melissa

"HollyLewis" wrote
If you don't have much of a daily routine or schedule, you may want to

develop
one now. Since he's gaining well, there's no reason you can't give it a

try.
Pay attention to when he really eats hungrily for a few days, and when he

falls
asleep most easily, and build your schedule around that. The advantage is

that
if he seems uncomfortable, or does something you can't interpret, you'll

have a
much better idea of whether he's hungry, tired, or something else based on

what
time it is, and know what to try first.

....or you may find no schedule at all. I tracked DD's feeding and sleeping
and we didn't have any sleeping schedule (other than bedtime, night feed and
waking) until about four months and didn't have a feeding schedule until
about nine months (when she, finally, started solids). Some babies will fall
into a schedule more readily than others. DD was still eating as frequently
as 1.5 hours at eight months and her napping schedule was erratic. In fact,
her napping schedule is still somewhat erratic because it depends on how
much she slept the night before.

What I'm saying is, if he doesn't have an innate schedule, you could try
putting him on one, but don't get stressed out if you don't have much of one
for a long time. Eventually you'll have some semblance of a schedule so you
can actually plan things. Even then, there's always at least one mom at each
of my various groups who calls to say that they'll be late because baby is
sleeping longer than expected.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old January 23rd 04, 10:51 PM
Katie

On 22 Jan 2004 19:23:32 GMT, (Zucca4) asserted:

The one thing that really undermines my nursing confidence is my 8 week old's
tendency to suck on his fist like a madman, even minutes after a nursing. I
was under the assumption that this was a feeding cue especially when he would
also open his little mouth and turn his head to the side, however he almost
always opens his mouth when I tickle his cheek. He seems to ALWAYS be hungry...

He is gaining weight and I desperatley want to believe my body is producing
enough milk for him, however the fist sucking really gets to my heart I
always think he's hungry and not getting enough. However when I put him to the
breast again after a decent nursing period he'll only suckle for a minute or
two and get lazy or fall asleep.

Maybe ths is just a nervous habit?

What do you guys think?

Lisa

My DS started doing the same thing at about 8 weeks. I've read that
that's about the age that they start to do a lot more comfort sucking.
I wasn't too worried about it because my milk supply was fine and he
was gaining weight like crazy (14 lbs at 9 weeks) but being a human
pacifier was starting to get to be a bit much. I really don't mind it
in general and I let him comfort suck on my boobs pretty much whenever
he wants to but sometimes it's just not practical or possible (like
when we're driving in the car). So I introduced him to a soother. I
had tried giving him one at about 4 weeks just to see if he'd take it
(again for when we were driving in the car) and he was completely
uninterested but then all of a sudden when I gave him one again at 8
weeks he went crazy for it. Now he uses it at times when he can't
have me (e.g. driving) and also when I put him to bed at night. It
helps him sleep for a few hours before I go to bed and he moves from
his bassinette into bed with me.

Anyway, don't worry - it's completely normal and as long as your son
is gaining weight then there's nothing wrong.

Katie
DS Nov 7/03 (11 weeks old today!)
Real email: sphyrapicusathotmaildotcom

Old January 24th 04, 09:25 PM
Andrea

"zeldabee" wrote in message ...

Anne Rogers was all, like:
if it's after nursing, it almost certainly isn't a sign of hunger
(baby would probably scream if that was the case), so it's probably a
comfort thing, or exploring, learning that the fist belongs! all ds's
pictures from the hospital have him with a fist in his mouth, he
found it straight after birth, he doesn't do it much anymore.

Sprogly now tries to get both his fists into his mouth at the same time.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m

Kami tries to fit a fist in his mouth while nursing!

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 7 months still nursing strong
with 4 teeth!

A black crow stole my soul, and now I want it back. (For those with PPD).