2 1/4 year old keeps taking off diapers

Old July 8th 03, 08:08 PM
Larry McMahan

Default 2 1/4 year old keeps taking off diapers

I think you should beat her to the punch. Take her diaper off before
she can get around to it. While she is still clean. Seriously,
we "potty trained" our kids by lettign them run around naked. They
become much more aware of their bodily functions that way and learn
to control them earlier.

Larry\

In misc.kids.pregnancy Nancy wrote:
: My daughter, who turned 2 and 1/4, takes off her diapers several times
: a day...usually when they're wet or soiled, but sometimes when they're
: not. This is becoming a problem in that she'll then sit on the carpet
: or a chair before she's been cleaned up, yikes!

: She shows interest in how kids/adults use the toilet...she knows when
: she's done something and is very capable of articulating it...she
: doesn't like the feeling of wet/soiled diapers...she has a potty chair
: which she likes sitting upon. I'm not sure, however, that she's made
: the connection between the feeling of having to pee/poo, and the
: actual event. It's also quite possible that she's just too busy to
: pay attention. :-)

: Anyway...I don't want to discourage her from taking off her diaper,
: either verbally or by resorting to pins, overalls, etc., since taking
: it off is part of learning how/when to use the potty...but encouraging
: her to take them off only when about to sit on the potty is having no
: effect.

: Advice? Oh, as background: I don't want to use Pull-Ups, although I'm
: not sure about "cold turkey" either (and don't think she's ready for
: that anyway). I was going to use terry training pants when the time
: was right. How will I know when that is? I'm just puzzled about "the
: next step."

: Thanks!

: Nancy
Old July 9th 03, 12:53 AM
Nina

Wow, that old and still in diapers? My kids both were reluctant to
wear them much after they turned about 20 months or so. My son used to
wander around the house bare bottomed. My solution was those thick
training pants, they are much more comfy to a kid than diapers
ESPECIALLY in the summer.
Let her wear underwear and just be ready to whisk her off to the
potty/toilet whenever she seems like its time to go. YOu can always
offer fluids so you can control when she goes, that way you can more
easily reinforce the pee/potty link. Give her a glass of water or
juice, then watch her like a hawk.
Nina

Old July 9th 03, 01:00 AM
Nina

I did much the same with my son. It was summertime, we were home all
day. My daughter didnt usually go naked, but she did wear panties.
After a while, just normal panties so she could FEEL that she was wet.
It made it easier.

Nina

Old July 9th 03, 03:01 AM
Larry McMahan

In misc.kids.pregnancy Nina wrote:

: Thats when I would insist upon the underwear. The discomfort is part
: of the training process, they learn to use the potty because it IS so
: uncomfortable to be wet. The positive spin on this, they are rewarded
: for using the potty by being dry and comfy. They say kids take longer
: to train now because diapers are so good, the kids never feel wet and
: uncomfy.

IME, this is quite a mistatement! I will repeat that among us and our
peers that the FASTEST and most effortless way to potty train is to let
toddlers run around naked.

Discomfort does little or nothing to teach them how their bodies function
and how to control it. Being able to see and feel the results of using
the bathroom by not having restricting clothes in the way is the most
direct way of teaching them what is going on.

JM(NS)HO, based on real life experience!

Larry
Old July 15th 03, 02:39 AM
Nancy

I thought about doing that, actually, but it's pretty tough on the
upstairs carpets. ;-)

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone.

Nancy