Should I prop up baby's matress on slight incline?

Old May 24th 09, 03:34 PM posted to misc.kids
somebody

Default Should I prop up baby's matress on slight incline?

I noticed that my 2 1/2 month old son occasionally sounds congested in the
morning. We live in the northeast U.S. about 20 miles north of
Philadelphia, where the pollen is horrible. I myself have been congested
since it is springtime. So my guess would be that it might be the pollen.
It's nothing too severe, and we're going to take him to the doctor
shortly where we'll ask about this situation.

I've also read that one theory regarding colic was that it may be caused
by GER (Gastrointestinal Esophageal Reflux), i.e., acid washing back into
the throat of the baby.

So, my thinking is, place blankets under the mattress so that it's on a
slight incline. Has anyone read anything on this? It seems to make sense
to me because I'd always been told that if you are congested, do the same
thing, or prop yourself up on pillows.
Old May 24th 09, 07:40 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"somebody" wrote in message
news
I noticed that my 2 1/2 month old son occasionally sounds congested in the
morning. We live in the northeast U.S. about 20 miles north of
Philadelphia, where the pollen is horrible. I myself have been congested
since it is springtime. So my guess would be that it might be the pollen.
It's nothing too severe, and we're going to take him to the doctor
shortly where we'll ask about this situation.

I've also read that one theory regarding colic was that it may be caused
by GER (Gastrointestinal Esophageal Reflux), i.e., acid washing back into
the throat of the baby.

So, my thinking is, place blankets under the mattress so that it's on a
slight incline. Has anyone read anything on this? It seems to make sense
to me because I'd always been told that if you are congested, do the same
thing, or prop yourself up on pillows.

Reflux does happen in babies. Some babies have a weak muscle at the top of
the stomach, and that gives them reflux. It can vary from mild to severe,
and may need gaviscon medication. They should grow out of it by about a
year.
However, I think it's a separate issue from colic. Colic tend to be worst
from about 2-4 months ish and is more like trapped wind, and tummy ache.
It may help putting the mattress on an incline. it did with one of mine mean
that they slept better. Try it, only make sure it's not so much of an
incline that the baby slips down the bed. :-)
Debbie

Old May 24th 09, 11:39 PM posted to misc.kids
Me Myself and I[_5_]

Prop up the head of the cot, not the mattress. (It's just easier)

--
Pip, in NZ

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - March 02 - 4lb 12oz
7 now and such a treasure.

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - Feb 05 - 3lb 14oz
4 now and so grown up

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

news

Old May 26th 09, 09:40 PM posted to misc.kids
news[_8_]

"somebody" wrote in message
news
I noticed that my 2 1/2 month old son occasionally sounds congested in the
morning. We live in the northeast U.S. about 20 miles north of
Philadelphia, where the pollen is horrible.

Hi neighbor. What township?
The pollen isn't that bad, IMO.