8 year old boy cannot run up a 30 ft high hill

Old July 28th 09, 07:09 PM posted to misc.kids
Ignoramus9483

Default 8 year old boy cannot run up a 30 ft high hill

My son is 8 years old and surprised me recently. He could not run all
the way up to a 30 foot tall (in my estimation) hill.

I am 38, moderately overweight, and I have not exercised much in a few
years due to so called "lack of time". And yet I could run all the way
up that hill with a 40 lb toddler in my arms, and he could not even
run up without stopping. My 8 year old son is not fat, in fact he is
skinny.

Another time he ran up 5 stories of a apartment building and again
could not run all the way, and had to breathe very heavily afterwards.

Would I be justified in being concerned, e.g. should we talk to a
doctor, or is it within some normal bounds that can be corrected with
exercise?

Old July 29th 09, 09:18 AM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines[_2_]

Ignoramus9483 wrote:
My son is 8 years old and surprised me recently. He could not run all
the way up to a 30 foot tall (in my estimation) hill.

I am 38, moderately overweight, and I have not exercised much in a few
years due to so called "lack of time". And yet I could run all the way
up that hill with a 40 lb toddler in my arms, and he could not even
run up without stopping. My 8 year old son is not fat, in fact he is
skinny.

Another time he ran up 5 stories of a apartment building and again
could not run all the way, and had to breathe very heavily afterwards.

Would I be justified in being concerned, e.g. should we talk to a
doctor, or is it within some normal bounds that can be corrected with
exercise?

What sort of distance can he run on the flat? Some people just find
going uphill really hard.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old July 29th 09, 11:32 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer[_2_]

Ignoramus9483 wrote:
My son is 8 years old and surprised me recently. He could not run all
the way up to a 30 foot tall (in my estimation) hill.

I am 38, moderately overweight, and I have not exercised much in a few
years due to so called "lack of time". And yet I could run all the way
up that hill with a 40 lb toddler in my arms, and he could not even
run up without stopping. My 8 year old son is not fat, in fact he is
skinny.

Another time he ran up 5 stories of a apartment building and again
could not run all the way, and had to breathe very heavily afterwards.

Would I be justified in being concerned, e.g. should we talk to a
doctor, or is it within some normal bounds that can be corrected with
exercise?

Being skinny does not necessarily imply being fit. I
don't see any reason to believe that there's any issue beyond
a potential lack of fitness. How active is he? How much time
does he spend in physically active pursuits each day?

Kids do go through phases, and he may have less energy
at any particular time because he's coming down with something,
or he's in that perpetually exhausted state that seems to come
with growth spurts in some kids, or whatever. It's also possible
something else could be responsible for shortness of breath, like
asthma or something, but there would be other symptoms of that.
If anything, though, he just might not be getting enough physical
activity.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old July 30th 09, 03:00 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Ignoramus9483 wrote:
My son is 8 years old and surprised me recently. He could not run all
the way up to a 30 foot tall (in my estimation) hill.

I am 38, moderately overweight, and I have not exercised much in a few
years due to so called "lack of time". And yet I could run all the way
up that hill with a 40 lb toddler in my arms, and he could not even
run up without stopping. My 8 year old son is not fat, in fact he is
skinny.

Another time he ran up 5 stories of a apartment building and again
could not run all the way, and had to breathe very heavily afterwards.

Would I be justified in being concerned, e.g. should we talk to a
doctor, or is it within some normal bounds that can be corrected with
exercise?

Talk to your son's pediatrician. And, talk to your own doctor about diet
and excercise, too. You need to set up a healthy environment for
yourself and your son.

Jeff
Old July 31st 09, 10:28 AM posted to misc.kids
Tai[_2_]

Ignoramus9483 wrote:
My son is 8 years old and surprised me recently. He could not run all
the way up to a 30 foot tall (in my estimation) hill.

I am 38, moderately overweight, and I have not exercised much in a few
years due to so called "lack of time". And yet I could run all the way
up that hill with a 40 lb toddler in my arms, and he could not even
run up without stopping. My 8 year old son is not fat, in fact he is
skinny.

Another time he ran up 5 stories of a apartment building and again
could not run all the way, and had to breathe very heavily afterwards.

Would I be justified in being concerned, e.g. should we talk to a
doctor, or is it within some normal bounds that can be corrected with
exercise?

Yes, I would be concerned. My 8.5 year old has no trouble with that kind of
exertion and more and I woulld put him just over average in fitness and
stamina for his age. He runs rings around me. Does your son spend all
lunchtime at school in physical activity? Does he ride his bike or scooter
regularly? What sports does he play? Does he swim laps yet? (My son can swim
50m freestyle but does pause a couple of times during the lap because his
breating isn't correct yet.)

Old September 3rd 09, 06:21 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

"Ignoramus9483" wrote in message
My son is 8 years old and surprised me recently. He could not run all
the way up to a 30 foot tall (in my estimation) hill.

It's possible he's out of shape, but don't rule out medical possibilities.
All my life, I could not run without getting short of breath. I just
thought I was out of shape. It wasn't until I was an adult and diagnosed
with asthma that I realized it was my asthma. My kids also have asthma.
When DS played soccer, he got very tired; but after I started giving him his
inhaler before playing, he could run like everyone else. Not getting enough
oxygen can tire anyone out.