Problems with Pumping

Old April 6th 04, 05:18 PM
KymmiTut

Default Problems with Pumping

My pediatrician requested that I introduce a bottle to my DD when she was 3
weeks old (she's now nearly 6 weeks old).* We had no problems with nipple
confusion, and she continues to nurse like a little champ (although the first
week was tough) while my DH gives her a bottle every night.*

I purchased a Purely Yours pump, and set off to build a freezer stash along
with the 4 oz that my DH gives her at night.* My problem is pumping during the
time that she's getting her bottle.* Am I just having problems with the let
down reflex?* I'm only able to get a maximum of 1 ounce out of each breast!*
While nursing my DD, I usually pump an ounce out of the opposite breast, and
have no problems getting that while also satisfying DD's appetite.* I pump more
in the middle of the night as my breasts are usually fuller, and get between
1.5 and 3 ounces out of one breast.*

I was hoping that my problems with pumping without her there was a learning
curve, but after nearly 3 weeks of this, I'm still not having a satisfying full
pumping session.* I'm terrified that when I return to work in another 6 weeks,
that the poor performance from pumping will continue and my milk production
will decline.* I've tried relaxing before pumping, keeping a picture of DD
nearby, having a snack and water beforehand, and nothing seems to work.* Am I
doomed?

Kymmi
Old April 6th 04, 05:37 PM
Mary W.

KymmiTut wrote:

I was hoping that my problems with pumping without her there was a learning
curve, but after nearly 3 weeks of this, I'm still not having a satisfying full
pumping session. I'm terrified that when I return to work in another 6 weeks,
that the poor performance from pumping will continue and my milk production
will decline. I've tried relaxing before pumping, keeping a picture of DD
nearby, having a snack and water beforehand, and nothing seems to work. Am I
doomed?

The thing that worked for me (I work out of the home too) was to
be doing something else while pumping. Getting a hands free bra
and browsing newsgroups or reading a fluffy novel (something very
engaging) were usually enough to get my mind off pumping and
I pumped just fine. Thinking about DD, looking at her picture, etc
just inhibited let down for me.

If you are getting a good spray when you pump, you are likely
letting down. If so you can massage your breast while pumping
to eek out some more. You can pump longer and try to get
a second letdown.

Pumping in the morning was always most productive for me.
And it was easier to pump at work than at home.

6 weeks is still pretty young - your output will likely improve,
in the next 6 weeks.

Mary

Old April 6th 04, 07:33 PM
Nikki

Mary W. wrote:

top posting because I didn't want to snip Mary's reply since I agree with
all that :-) I just wanted to add that with Hunter I could pump way way
more during the day then I could in the evening. I hardly every pumped much
in the evening.

If you want to build a stash I suggest you pump first thing in the morning,
every morning, before the baby nurses (or while you nurse - I couldn't
manage that).

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)