snotty 6 year old

Old May 7th 04, 05:01 PM
Deanna

Default snotty 6 year old

I need some help, if anyone can help me. My daughter is in grade one,
and has become a monster. Not at school, apparently, but at home. I
had a baby a year ago, and I know that caused some anxiety in her, but
I have continually tried to be supportive and give her the love she
needs, just as her sister. We have weekly "dates" without a baby, and
I don't feel she suffers in the love and attention department
whatsoever. Is this normal for a child, or is there something else I
should be doing?
Old May 7th 04, 05:21 PM
Clisby

Deanna wrote:
I need some help, if anyone can help me. My daughter is in grade one,
and has become a monster. Not at school, apparently, but at home. I
had a baby a year ago, and I know that caused some anxiety in her, but
I have continually tried to be supportive and give her the love she
needs, just as her sister. We have weekly "dates" without a baby, and
I don't feel she suffers in the love and attention department
whatsoever. Is this normal for a child, or is there something else I
should be doing?

What exactly is she doing?

Clisby

Old May 7th 04, 11:41 PM
Deanna

Clisby wrote in message ...
Deanna wrote:
I need some help, if anyone can help me. My daughter is in grade one,
and has become a monster. Not at school, apparently, but at home. I
had a baby a year ago, and I know that caused some anxiety in her, but
I have continually tried to be supportive and give her the love she
needs, just as her sister. We have weekly "dates" without a baby, and
I don't feel she suffers in the love and attention department
whatsoever. Is this normal for a child, or is there something else I
should be doing?

What exactly is she doing?

Clisby

Well, she's started lying, she hits the baby once in awhile, she lips
me and her father off, and she purposely just outright defies us.
Don't get me wrong, she's not demon spawn or anything, but these are
all things I simply just do not tolerate-especially the lying and the
hitting. And apparently, at school, she's an angel, according to her
teacher. Jekyll and Hyde, I guess. Any ideas?
Deanna
Old May 8th 04, 12:05 AM
Nic

"Deanna" wrote in message
om...
Clisby wrote in message

Deanna wrote:
[...]

no idea's really but she will grow out of it.

My mum says I used to be like jekyll and hyde, I was the nicest freind some
children in school but to other children I was nothing but a pain. The
teacher noticed it and asked my parents if I was like that at home. I wasn't
like that at home just school. They worked it out eventually that I had no
where to vent my problems and therefore I was taking out on children at
school. I outgrow it within the year. (and have never done it since)

Nic

Old May 8th 04, 12:47 AM
toto

On 7 May 2004 15:41:21 -0700, (Deanna) wrote:

Well, she's started lying,

Can you give examples? Children of 6 actually still have problems
distinguishing fact from fiction especially if they are trying to stay
out of trouble.

For 5 and 6 year olds, if *you* believe them, it's actually true even
if they know things didn't happen that way.

If you are punishing her for lying, that is probably the wrong way to
go since it will motivate her not to communicate with you when she
is older.

This is a good article with suggestions on how to deal with lying
in children of this age.

http://www.parentsoup.com/elementary...225704,00.html

The major points a
Make it clear to children that the truth is important to you.
Model honesty.
Avoid labeling children as "liars."
Confront children gently but truthfully.
Talk about what makes telling the truth difficult.
Discuss the moral questions.
Offer children opportunities to make amends.

she hits the baby once in awhile,

This, of course, is unacceptable. Prevention is best.
How old is the baby?

If the baby is very young, then you need to stay close
and supervise and prevent her from hitting. When she
tries to hit, you need to stop her before she can do this.
If the baby is crawling or walking, things are a bit harder
because the baby is getting into *her* stuff and while
supervision is still necessary, it may be harder.

Is she getting enough one on one time with you?
Sometimes, the problem is that you are so taken
up with caring for the baby that the older child feels
neglected.

A very good book on siblings is: Siblings Without
Rivalry by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish.

she lips me and her father off,

Ignore, ignore, ignore. Don't react *at all.*

and she purposely just outright defies us.

In what way?

Six year olds need to have a lot of choices and control
of their lives. Perhaps she needs to feel powerful. To
empower her, give her lots of things she can do for herself
and choose.

Encourage her to experiment with open ended activities
where there is no one right answer. School often suppresses
this and wants kids to get *the* answer they are trying to
teach, so at home, things need to be much more open
ended.

Use humor to lighten the mood at home.

Listen and accept her emotions. Reflect them back in statements
that don't judge her for having them. I hear..... I think you are
saying.... I see.... etc.

How to Talk So Children Will Listen and Listen So Children
Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish has many good
scenarios that can help you to empower her to think of herself
as competent.

Don't get me wrong, she's not demon spawn or anything,
but these are all things I simply just do not tolerate-especially
the lying and the hitting.

Obviously, you cannot tolerate the hitting. For the lying, you
need to understand the emotional motivation and address
that as well as the *moral* values.

And apparently, at school, she's an angel, according to her
teacher. Jekyll and Hyde, I guess. Any ideas?

You should be pleased that she feels *safe* at home and can
let go. It is a given that kids need to vent and to release some
of the things they hold in when they are being *good* elsewhere.
She knows she can do this safely at home because you love
her and will keep her safe from harm.

Deanna

Good luck!

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old May 8th 04, 01:44 AM
Jeff

"Deanna" wrote in message
om...

(...)

Well, she's started lying, she hits the baby once in awhile, she lips
me and her father off, and she purposely just outright defies us.
Don't get me wrong, she's not demon spawn or anything, but these are
all things I simply just do not tolerate-especially the lying and the
hitting. And apparently, at school, she's an angel, according to her
teacher. Jekyll and Hyde, I guess. Any ideas?

When you discussed this with her, what did she say?

My sense is that she still feels left out and doesn't feel like she is
getting enough positive attention. I do see she knows how to get attention,
however.

Jeff

Old May 8th 04, 04:13 PM
Deanna

toto wrote in message . ..
[...]

Thanks so much, Dorothy. I really appreciate the help.
Deanna
Old May 8th 04, 04:16 PM
Deanna

"Nic" wrote in message . au...

[...]