missed period

Old May 27th 04, 09:57 PM
Shannon

Default missed period

Ok...so my doctor advised me to not ttc until after I get a period
after coming off the pill. Did I listen to her?...nope. She said the
reason was so that it would be easier to date the baby. For some
reason I never completely understood that, but now I think I do, and I
wish I had listened to her. I'm now on day 36 with no AF. I did a HPT
on day 28 and it was negative. Now I'm wondering when I should do the
next one. How long do I wait? It could take me a couple of months to
see AF. I am thinking that I should test once a week until I either
get a positive test or see AF. Does that seem reasonable? I'm
thinking that it might make it at least a tad easier to date if I test
fairly often.

--
Shannon

Please remove -NO SPAM from email address to email me personally.

Old May 28th 04, 04:04 AM
Alissa

"Shannon" wrote in message
Ok...so my doctor advised me to not ttc until after I get a period
after coming off the pill. Did I listen to her?...nope. She said the
reason was so that it would be easier to date the baby. For some
reason I never completely understood that, but now I think I do, and I
wish I had listened to her. I'm now on day 36 with no AF. I did a HPT
on day 28 and it was negative. Now I'm wondering when I should do the
next one. How long do I wait? It could take me a couple of months to
see AF. I am thinking that I should test once a week until I either
get a positive test or see AF. Does that seem reasonable? I'm
thinking that it might make it at least a tad easier to date if I test
fairly often.

--
Shannon

Please remove -NO SPAM from email address to email me personally.

I'd probably test weekly myself just for curiosity, don't worry about dating
too much, they can do that by ultrasound if they are worried.
Alissa

Old May 28th 04, 07:44 PM
Ilse Witch

On Thu, 27 May 2004 16:57:52 -0400, Shannon wrote:

I'm now on day 36 with no AF. I did a HPT on day 28 and it was
negative. Now I'm wondering when I should do the next one.

I assume this is indeed your first full cylce after stopping the
pill. Couple of questions: did you have any bleeding after you stopped the
pill? Did you chart your temps or any other fertility signs that could
tell you when you ovulated?

It is not uncommon to have a very long first cycle after stopping the
pill. In my case it took almost 6 weeks to get back to my standard 28d
cycles. However, if there is a chance you are pregnant, and you want to
find out, testing about once a week would be OK. I wouldn't do it more
often, it's just a waste of money.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old May 29th 04, 07:49 AM
Jenrose

"Shannon" wrote in message
Ok...so my doctor advised me to not ttc until after I get a period
after coming off the pill. Did I listen to her?...nope. She said the
reason was so that it would be easier to date the baby. For some
reason I never completely understood that, but now I think I do, and I
wish I had listened to her. I'm now on day 36 with no AF. I did a HPT
on day 28 and it was negative. Now I'm wondering when I should do the
next one. How long do I wait? It could take me a couple of months to
see AF. I am thinking that I should test once a week until I either
get a positive test or see AF. Does that seem reasonable? I'm
thinking that it might make it at least a tad easier to date if I test
fairly often.

On pg tests... get them from the dollar tree stores. Then you're only out a
buck a test adn can test as often as you like.

Jenrose

Old May 29th 04, 05:21 PM
Sophie

"Shannon" wrote in message
Ok...so my doctor advised me to not ttc until after I get a period
after coming off the pill. Did I listen to her?...nope. She said the
reason was so that it would be easier to date the baby. For some
reason I never completely understood that, but now I think I do, and I
wish I had listened to her. I'm now on day 36 with no AF. I did a HPT
on day 28 and it was negative. Now I'm wondering when I should do the
next one. How long do I wait? It could take me a couple of months to
see AF. I am thinking that I should test once a week until I either
get a positive test or see AF. Does that seem reasonable? I'm
thinking that it might make it at least a tad easier to date if I test
fairly often.

--
Shannon

Did you stop your pack of pills at the end of the pack? You didn't get a
pill period? I've never not had a period after stopping the pill and I've
stopped in the middle of a pack before. My periods after stopping the pill
(after that first period) were always 2 weeks *late* - that's how long my
real cycle is. Maybe that's you too?

Are you charting?

Old May 30th 04, 10:48 PM
kim in cville

Shannon--
I'm in my second cycle off the pill and charting has really helped me know
what my body's up to. We started TTC immediately too, in part because I got
confirmation from a few sources that having a period isn't necessary for
dating the pregnancy (can be done with u/s, but charting also gives me
sufficient info for that and more). I went off at the end of a pack, and
had a withdrawal period as usual (did you have a withdrawal bleed?). I
ovulated on either day 14 or 15, and had some phantom symptoms around and
after when implantation would have been, but then AF came early on day 26.
I'm now on day 16 of my second cycle, and I believe I ovulated on day 13,
based on charting. I think our chances are low this month because I had to
travel for work and the last day we BD'ed before O was day 8, but my point
is that charting has made it fairly easy to know what's going on and both
convince myself that my body is apparently close to getting its own groove
back as well as strategize to maximize our odds, etc. Besides, it's weirdly
fascinating
--Kim in cville
TTC #1

Old May 31st 04, 03:13 PM
Shannon

Hey Kim, your still around I was wondering what happened to you. I
just started officially charting 3 days ago. I bought the book 'Taking
Charge of your fertility', I think it is really good. I think I'm
getting AF today. I'm not completely sure because everything is all
wonky from coming off the pill. I'm on CD 39 right now. My
temperature 3 days ago was 97.5, yesterday was 98.2 (but I hopped out
of bed and then remembered I was supposed to take my temp so hopped
back in again) and today's temp was 97.3. Last night I was checking my
cervical position and noticed a tiny bit of brown clotting. I had the
same thing this morning. It doesn't feel like I"m getting my period
but there is definitely blood there. Based on what I read I think my
temperature should be higher. I also took a pregnancy test last Friday
and it came out negative.

BTW, I did get a withdrawl bleed at the end of my last pack of pills.

Its strange, I originally avoided charting because I thought it would
stress me out. In fact I think it will make me calmer. It will give
me a chance to see patterns instead of just guessing at what is going
on. Plus I figured if I ever do run into a problem where I have
trouble conceiving then I at least have something to go to the doctor
with.

Shannon

Old May 31st 04, 03:15 PM
Shannon

I'm guessing that Dollar Tree is in the US only since I have never seen
one in Canada. Does anyone know where to get inexpenisve HPT tests in
Canada, more specifically the Toronto area? The last one I bought was
$13...ouch!

Old May 31st 04, 03:31 PM
Shannon

Ilse I did bleed after stopping the pill. I completed the full pack
before stopping.

I've only just started to chart but I was watching cervical fluid and
position before. It was really hard to tell if I ovulated since I
never saw what would be comparable to the descriptions of the typical
'fertile fluid'. The last few days my temp has been pretty low from
what i have been reading (97.3 this morning for instance). I did a HPT
on Friday and it came back negative.

Yesterday I started getting very small amounts of brown clotting after
I ran a race. This morning it is still there, I'm going to see if it
gets heavier throughout the day today. It is not typical of what I get
for a period.

Today I'm on CD 39 and I'm starting to wonder if I ever ovulated at
all. I can definitely see the benefits of charting now.

I've been on the pill for a several years now so I keep thinking back
to what it was like before I went on the pill. I can remember being a
bit irregular. Twice I missed my period for about 3 months each time.
The first time I had mono and the second time I was on Accutane and
wasn't supposed to be having sex without being on the pill and I did
anyway which completely freaked me out. I have been reading that
stress can delay or stop you from ovulating. I'm thinking that maybe I
am subconsciously delaying my ovulation this month since I've been
focusing on it so much. I'm hoping that charting will take some of the
'thinking' out of it.

Shannon

Old May 31st 04, 03:32 PM
Shannon

I just started charting 3 days ago so know I think I'll get a better
idea of how long my cycle is.

Shannon