Infant swimwear

Old June 3rd 04, 07:26 PM
Dagny

Default Infant swimwear

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message news:JQtvc.652922$Ig.179611@pd7tw2no...
Jamie Clark wrote:

These look good -- do you wear these without a diaper underneath? Do

you
have the baby (girl, in this case) wear a t-shirt or just go topless?

Just
curious. I don't really have a problem with topless at this age, but

just
curious what other people have done.

T-shirts are never a good idea when swimming. They make your body work
harder to stay warm.

Really? I'm not doubting you but I can't imagine why. What's the science
of that? I've been putting baby Meg in a t-shirt for the pool for sun
coverage. As a child I generally wore a t-shirt over my bathing suit to
avoid burning my shoulders and upper back, which are hard areas for an older
child/adult to sunscreen herself.

-- Dagny

Old June 3rd 04, 07:29 PM
Dagny

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
hlink.net...
These look good -- do you wear these without a diaper underneath?

No, we don't. They are fecal containment pants already. I bring a second
swim diaper to change into; but poo is so infrequent at Meg's age, it has
not be necessary.

--

I'm an either kind of girl for this one.

-- Dagny

Old June 3rd 04, 08:01 PM
Donna

"Dagny" wrote in message

T-shirts are never a good idea when swimming. They make your body work
harder to stay warm.

Really? I'm not doubting you but I can't imagine why. What's the science
of that? I've been putting baby Meg in a t-shirt for the pool for sun
coverage. As a child I generally wore a t-shirt over my bathing suit to
avoid burning my shoulders and upper back, which are hard areas for an

older
child/adult to sunscreen herself.

I used to go white water rafting fairly frequently (yeah, pre-marriage and
babies. What happened to my hobbies??? sigh), and the guides always
recommmended against wearing cotton, because while
polypropylene/fleece/wool, etc will get wet, the fibers will still keep you
warm. Cotton fibers wick heat away from the body when wet, and so tend to
chill the body. T-shirts are cotton, in general, so I imagine that is where
the prohibition against cotton comes from.

(That being said... unless the baby is going to be somewhere where she
cannot remove the t-shirt when/if she gets cold (like white water rafting,
for example), it doesn't seem to matter whether the baby wears a t-shirt. I
keep Sarah in a cotton t to keep the sun off her.)

Delicious Truffles, did I get it right?

Donna

Old June 3rd 04, 08:25 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Donna wrote:

"Dagny" wrote in message

[...]

Yes. :-) Thanks.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://ca.geocities.com/bironmonger/

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it,
requires brains."
~ Mary Pettibone Poole

Old June 3rd 04, 08:34 PM
PattyMomVA

"Donna" wrote and I snipped:

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
news
Nothing should be just fine, or a basic swimsuit. We've been swimming

with
DS since he was 2m old, and he never ever pooped while in the water. So
just give it a try without any of those expensive things to see how she
does. Most baby's do fine.

Every non-personal pool I've been to requires swim diapers of some kind.
If the OP is going to be in her own pool, that's no big deal, but if it's
anything but a family pool... I'd strongly recommend swim diapers.

Sarah has never pooped in a pool, but she's certainly made a huge mess of
the bathtub on occasion. I can't think of anything more embarrassing
than scooping that kind of mess out of a public pool. shudder

In community pools such as ours, the lifeguards will shut down the pool when
this happens and "shock" the water. No one can swim there for hours.
Personally, I wouldn't risk experimenting without a swim diaper on my baby
in these conditions.

-Patty, mom to Corinne (6y) and Nathan (4y)
and stepmom to Victoria (14y)

Old June 3rd 04, 09:25 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Jamie Clark wrote:
wear a t-shirt or just go topless?

Caterpillar, who just turned one, went to swim class in just a swim
diaper. The other little girls all wore suits (either one-piece or
bikini tops) over the swim diaper. The little boys all wore short-style
suits over their swim diapers. Her pool required washable swim diapers.

This summer, we'll go to the water park (outdoor pool), and she'll wear
a Solarveil jacket and pants over the swim diaper, but that's just for
sun protection.

Phoebe

Old June 4th 04, 02:53 AM
Puester

Donna wrote:

"Dagny" wrote in message

[...]

I remember reading somewhere that a t-shirt only provides
something like SPF-10 protection, so it's smart to use
sunscreen in addition, or one of the specialized sun-blocking
shirts.

gloria p
Old June 4th 04, 11:56 AM
Donna

"Puester" wrote in message

I remember reading somewhere that a t-shirt only provides
something like SPF-10 protection, so it's smart to use
sunscreen in addition, or one of the specialized sun-blocking
shirts.

Funny you should mention that, Gloria. I *just* heard something about that
on NPR this week. I had no idea that an average Tshirt gives so little
coverage! That is kind of amazing.

Donna

Old June 4th 04, 03:55 PM
Ilse Witch

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:00:35 -0400, Donna wrote:

Every non-personal pool I've been to requires swim diapers of some kind.

Interesting. I've never come across this here, but we've only used one or
two public pools so far. In the Netherlands, when we started babyswimming,
they told us specifically not to use the swim diapers. I forgot why though...

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old June 4th 04, 08:25 PM
H Schinske

"Puester" wrote in message

I remember reading somewhere that a t-shirt only provides
something like SPF-10 protection, so it's smart to use
sunscreen in addition, or one of the specialized sun-blocking
shirts.

I don't really understand that, because I have *never* gotten anything
approaching a burn when out for hours in a T-shirt, no evidence of *any* sun
exposure at all, and if I go out with my upper back or shoulders exposed
without sunscreen (or even with, if I don't re-apply often enough), I
definitely burn quite easily.

--Helen