what to pack???

Old June 5th 04, 01:13 AM
Circe

Default what to pack???

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Amy wrote:
Bad news, I just found out if you're breastfeeding you can't eat
chocolate because it gives the baby pimples and rashes :-( I've
got 3.5 weeks left of serious chocolate eating before I abstain.
But I want to breastfeed for the first 12 months! A year without
chocolate???! I can give up the booze, the coffee, etc etc but
chocolate...

Are you kidding me? No way in hell I'd give up
chocolate while breastfeeding unless I saw clear evidence
of a problem. I'm on month...hmmm...40 or so of
breastfeeding total, and I've eaten chocolate the whole
time with no problems whatsoever. Whoever told you
chocolate was a problem?!

Er, yeah. I'm on month 77 g and chocolate has never been a problem for any
of my babies. Nor has coffee, nor the occasional beer/glass of wine, nor
broccoli, nor tomatoes, nor onions, nor dairy products, nor spicy foods, nor
any of the other thousand or so things that someone is bound to tell you you
*must* avoid while breastfeeding. All of these things can bother some babies
(though, fortunately, even sensitive babies don't usually react to all of
them simultaneously), but you wait until you see evidence of a reaction
before you eliminate the likely culprits from your diet. Until then, just
eat like you normally would.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old June 5th 04, 01:23 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Amy wrote:
I just found out if you're breastfeeding you can't eat
chocolate because it gives the baby pimples and rashes

Nonsense. Even my baby, who is a major allergy-girl, isn't bothered by
chocolate. Or coffee, or spicy food, or garlic, or gassy veggies. Or
alcohol.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread; substitute mailbolt

Old June 5th 04, 11:24 AM
Amy

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message

Are you kidding me? No way in hell I'd give up
chocolate while breastfeeding unless I saw clear evidence
of a problem. I'm on month...hmmm...40 or so of
breastfeeding total, and I've eaten chocolate the whole
time with no problems whatsoever. Whoever told you
chocolate was a problem?!

My midwife. I'm glad to hear it isn't always a problem, I'd go nuts for a
year without chocolate.

Old June 5th 04, 11:25 AM
Amy

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message news:%j1wc.667608$oR5.531929@pd7tw3no...
Amy wrote:

"Alissa" wrote in message

The good thing is about taking chocolates as a gift, if I don't want to

give them....I'll eat them myself! Yeah I wouldn't give them if I wasn't
happy, or if I only liked a few I'd make a point of mentioning their

names
only in the thank you card.
Alissa

Bad news, I just found out if you're breastfeeding you can't eat

chocolate
because it gives the baby pimples and rashes :-( I've got 3.5 weeks left

of
serious chocolate eating before I abstain. But I want to breastfeed for

the
first 12 months! A year without chocolate???! I can give up the booze,

the
coffee, etc etc but chocolate...

Hogwash! I eat chocolate and Isabella's skin is fine and she has only
had 1 teeny, tiny diaper rash in her life (it cleared up in 24 hours).

Where did you find this informations? I would sincerely like to know.

My midwife, she says it gives a lot of babies rashes and gastric upsets.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://ca.geocities.com/bironmonger/

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it,
requires brains."
~ Mary Pettibone Poole

Old June 5th 04, 11:28 AM
Amy

I realised today I'm going to have to hide certain things in the postnatal
ward. A friend of mine just gave birth, and a nurse came in and had a fit
because my friend was drinking orange juice, saying "Don't you know it gives
babies skin conditions!" Sheesh!
I'm committed to breastfeeding, but with people like that I can understand
why some mothers give up in disgust & reach for the bottle.

"Iuil" wrote in message

"Amy" wrote

Bad news, I just found out if you're breastfeeding you can't eat

chocolate
because it gives the baby pimples and rashes :-(

BS. You don't stop eating anything because you're bfing *until* your baby
displays a reaction. Not all babies will react to the same foods.

Jean