preventing pinched fingers

Old June 28th 04, 07:16 AM
Marie

Default preventing pinched fingers

The change table in my twins' nursery is an old desk with a top added.
Since staorage in the room is *very* limited, the drawers in the desk are
useful, and often used--one, in particular, is often opened one-handed by an
adult because the boys' socks are there.

Lately one of the boys (they are 14mos old) has become tall enough to open
the drawers an inch or two, and then lean on them to close them again. THe
problem is he often traps fingers from one hand in the drawer as he's
closing it. Then, when he tries to pull his fingers out, he pushes with the
other hand, pinching the fingers even more.

Traditional safety latches for drawers that I have found will not prevent
this problem because they are designed to allow the drawer to open a little
bit. I've found a strap that would hold it shut, but it's really just a
modified velcro strap, and my guys have figured out how to rip open velcro
so I can't see how that will stop them.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Marie
Chris and Alex--born 04/23/03 at 31wks gestational :-)

Old June 28th 04, 09:09 AM
Mary Ann Tuli

Marie wrote:
[...]

- either remove the drawers entirely, or just let them learn. I'm sure
after a few trapped fingers they'll learn how to use the drawers correctly.

Mary Ann

Old June 28th 04, 02:31 PM
Nikki

Marie wrote:

Lately one of the boys (they are 14mos old) has become tall enough to
open the drawers an inch or two, and then lean on them to close them
again. THe problem is he often traps fingers from one hand in the
drawer as he's closing it.

I would fix something to the inside of the drawer, or inside the dresser,
that would prevent it from fully closing so that there would always be a
slight gap, making it impossible to pinch a finger.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old June 28th 04, 05:32 PM
jenn

Marie wrote:
[...]

so how many times will this happen before the kids learn? Seems like a
low risk event with natural consequences to me.
Old June 28th 04, 11:43 PM
hobbes

"jenn" wrote in message
Marie wrote:
[...]

I agree with the others who say that a few pinched fingers is a minor lesson
in learning how to operate a drawer effectively. BUT, if you still feel the
need for locks that won't allow the drawer to open at all, try these. Seem
to be more difficult to use for us parents (gotta keep track of that key),
but it would fit your needs:

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/27181/119/117.html

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (3 years, 4 months) & Arwen (14 months)

Old June 29th 04, 05:13 AM
Marie

"jenn" wrote in message
SNIP

so how many times will this happen before the kids learn? Seems like a
low risk event with natural consequences to me.

Things are complicated because, as is often the case with preemies and
twins, my boys are lagging somewhat behind in communication: the doctors
figure they have the comprehension of maybe 10mo olds although their
physical co-ordination is 14mos. It makes it difficult to explain things,
or even teach "don't touch." Their problem-solving skills are at about a
12mo level ATM.

He's done this (the finger pinching) at least 6 times so far: the part that
makes it dangerous is, when he realizes his fingers are caught he tries to
gain traction (?) by pushing with the opposite hand as he tries to pull his
fingers free: but his free hand is pushing on the offending drawer.

I'm just worried he's going to break a finger before he figures it out.

Old June 29th 04, 05:40 PM
Welches

0123.

Marie wrote in message
ogers.com...
[...]

In my experience they'll very soon learn with trapped fingers!!
Debbie