Breech at 30 weeks

Old January 29th 04, 03:28 PM
dw

Default Breech at 30 weeks

I just had my 30 wk appt., with u/s to check on previously diagnosed
marginal previa. Well, the good news is that the placenta has
'cleared' the cervix, so previa is no longer an issue. The bad news
is that they discovered the baby is currently in breech position. I
never had this with my ds, and I am wondering how many people have
experienced this late in the pgcy. Did the baby eventually turn on
its' own? Did anyone have 'external manipulation' done to try to turn
the baby, and if so, was it successful? My dr. is recommending we try
this if she is still breech by 33-34 wks. He says it is done in the
hospital in labor and delivery, and is successful approx. 50% of the
time. He is recommending this, since I did have a previous successful
vaginal birth, and if we can avoid a cesearan, that is obviously
preferable. Does anyone have experiences they can share with this
regard? Thanks!

Deidre
Mom to Ryan, 3
edd #2, 4/3/04
Old January 29th 04, 04:01 PM
Kat

"dw" wrote in message
om...
[...]

My baby was breech as well around 30 weeks but he turned on his own around
34 weeks or so. He still had plenty swim around so I don't know why your
doctor is worried already, unless I am totally wrong:-) My doctor said he
wouldn't worry until I was 36 weeks about the baby being breech.
Anyway...Hope other people have more to say:-) Good luck!
Kat
Mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and #2 EDD 02/01/04

Old January 29th 04, 04:02 PM
Carol Ann

: I just had my 30 wk appt., with u/s to check on previously diagnosed
: marginal previa. Well, the good news is that the placenta has
: 'cleared' the cervix, so previa is no longer an issue. The bad news
: is that they discovered the baby is currently in breech position. I
: never had this with my ds, and I am wondering how many people have
: experienced this late in the pgcy.

My goodness I'm at 32 weeks and U/S hasn't been mentioned OR the position of
the baby.

With 10 more weeks to go, wouldn't it best to wait until you are much closer
to delivery to consider any type of manipulation? I would think the baby
have a tendency to move again. Why go through the pain?

But then again, I've never had a child and have absolutely no idea.

I do hope your baby gets into position for you....

~Carol Ann

Old January 29th 04, 04:17 PM
Shelly

"dw" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hi Deidre,

Mine was breech until my last appointment at 32 1/2 weeks. My doctor said
she wouldn't start getting concerned about it until about 34-36 weeks, and
even then it would still have time to turn. I think it is too early for you
to be worried! Something like 96% of babies turn head down by the time they
are full term, so the odds are in your favor.

I did start reading up on external versions, though, since I was worried
mine wouldn't turn. Everything I have read suggests you should not attempt a
version until 37 weeks. The chances of the baby turning back to a breech
position if it is done before 37 weeks are just too high to justify going
through the procedure earlier.

Best of luck!
-Michelle
edd 3/14/04

Old January 29th 04, 04:52 PM
Circe

dw wrote:
[...]

A baby who is breech at 30 weeks is a complete non-issue. Even at 33-34
weeks, it is too early to "worry" and my understanding is that versions done
before about 37 weeks very often don't work because the baby just turns back
around.

One alternative treatment you might try if you live in a metropolitan area
where you can find an experienced acupuncturist. It's called moxibustion and
involves the burning of a small packet of herbs near your baby toe. It's
been found that women with breech babies who have this treatment done for
several weeks starting at around 32-33 weeks, IIRC, are more likely to wind
up with their babies head down by 37 weeks than those who don't. It's
believed it works because the moxibustion stimulates more fetal movement and
this results in the baby turning vertex.

Good luck and HTH!
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [22 mos.] mom)

Financing for "5" years -- car dealership sign

Mommy: I call you "baby" because I love you.
Julian (age 4): Oh! All right, Mommy baby.

Old January 29th 04, 05:25 PM
Dagny

"dw" wrote in message
om...
[...]

In your situation, for me, whether or not to have an external version would
be difficult -- because of my concern that a baby staying breech well into
term was staying there for a reason, like the cord situation, and my desire
at the same time for my child to have the easiest vaginal delivery possible.
However I would not be planning a cesarean because of breech. If you've
already had a baby vaginally, you can probably find a doctor or midwife who
will deliver a vaginal breech. IMHO the reason that doctors are refusing to
do this is because even though vaginal breech birth is not what I'd call
"high risk" (and was the total norm when I was born) they won't do it
because if they have one bad outcome in their career they might be faced
with a big lawsuit, even if the mother had total informed consent. However
a doctor's reticence to do a reasonable thing is not a reason for me to be
cut, and cesareans -- like breech vaginals -- also carry risks for the baby.

-- Dagny

Old January 29th 04, 06:39 PM
sher

(dw) wrote in message . com...
[...]

At only 30 weeks, I wouldn't start worrying yet. There's still plenty
of room for him to move around.

DS#3 was head down at 30 weeks, but then turned breech at 37 weeks. I
got very worried that he wouldn't have enough room to turn back on his
own. I read somewhere that getting on all fours a few times a day can
help encourage the baby to turn. I spent a weekend doing that and by
my appointment on Monday, he had turned head down again.

~ Sher
Old January 29th 04, 07:14 PM
Larry McMahan

dw writes:
[...]

This is actually pretty common, and the baby often turns by himself.
Some thoughts:

33 weeks is pretty early to try and turn the baby, because of the
risk that he will turn back. I thought 36 weeks was more common.

You can try to turn a breach baby with yoga. Monika managed to
turn Clara from a transverse position at 34 weeks. Here is our link:
http://home.comcast.net/~l.mcmahan/

Go to the link "Turning a Breech or Transverse Baby with Yoga."

If that doesn't work, then you can have the external version done.

Good luck,
Larry
Old January 29th 04, 07:29 PM
Welches

dw wrote in message
om...
[...]

At 30 weeks nothing to worry about. Even if they were head down they could
easily change. I think turning at 34 weeks sounds too early. Reasons are
that turning can bring on premature labour, which you don't ideally want at
34 weeks. Other reason is that they will probably still be small enough to
turn back again at 34 weeks. It's more usual to do it at 36-7 weeks.
It's certainly not "late" in your pregnancy to be breech, and I wouldn't
worry yet. I'm slightly surprised that the dr. has discussed it so far at
this point.
Debbie

Old January 29th 04, 08:03 PM
Ericka Kammerer

dw wrote:

I just had my 30 wk appt., with u/s to check on previously diagnosed
marginal previa. Well, the good news is that the placenta has
'cleared' the cervix, so previa is no longer an issue. The bad news
is that they discovered the baby is currently in breech position. I
never had this with my ds, and I am wondering how many people have
experienced this late in the pgcy. Did the baby eventually turn on
its' own?

Thirty weeks is still early to get worried about
this. Most babies will turn on their own.

Did anyone have 'external manipulation' done to try to turn
the baby, and if so, was it successful? My dr. is recommending we try
this if she is still breech by 33-34 wks. He says it is done in the
hospital in labor and delivery, and is successful approx. 50% of the
time. He is recommending this, since I did have a previous successful
vaginal birth, and if we can avoid a cesearan, that is obviously
preferable. Does anyone have experiences they can share with this
regard? Thanks!

I had an external version done, and it was successful
(mine was also quick, painless, and easy, though that's not
always true). However, why on earth would he do it at 33-34
weeks?! At that stage, waaaay too many flip back to a breech
position. The optimal timing is more like 37 weeks, when
they're generally still small enough to turn, big enough
they don't usually turn back, and if the version throws
you into labor the baby's full term. There should be a
better than 50 percent success rate, too. You might look
into finding someone who has a lot of experience with
versions to do it. I think this is an area where
experience and technique are particularly important.
I would definitely recommend trying a version if you are
a good candidate. In my book, it beats a c-section any
day of the week. If it fails, studies say that it's
worth it to try again (assuming there's no medical
contraindication) before giving up and scheduling a
c-section. Depending on the type of breech, there are
also doctors who will deliver vaginal breeches, which is
something to consider if you really want to avoid a
c-section and external version doesn't work.
Meanwhile, you can try the turning exercises
at http://www.gentlebirth.org/prenatal/breech.htm
They didn't work for me, but I know many people for whom
they did work.

Best wishes,
Ericka