training bras

Old February 19th 04, 04:41 PM
Claire Petersky

Default Singlet vs Camisole was training bras

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Cheryl wrote:

I've never used the term singlet.

A singlet, to my mind, is something you wear while running, like this:

http://www.raceready.com/images/rrwsinglet_big.jpg

In our house:

Singlets are atheletic wear.
Tank tops are casual wear.
Camisoles are underwear.

My older daughter and I wear bras as underwear. My younger daughter wears
undershirts and items I would describe as half-camisoles.

I also have a small collection of undershirts. I don't like sleeveless
undershirts. One of the great benefits of sleeved undershirts is that, if
you sweat into them, you only need to wash the undershirt, not what went
over it. Sleeved undershirts are handy to wear under, say, a nice
turtleneck, on a day when you are shifting between cold outdoors and
overheated rooms. They cut down on the amount of drying cleaning you have to
pay for.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Old February 19th 04, 11:27 PM
Rosalie B.

"Claire Petersky" wrote:
snip
Singlets are atheletic wear.
Tank tops are casual wear.
Camisoles are underwear.

My older daughter and I wear bras as underwear. My younger daughter wears
undershirts and items I would describe as half-camisoles.

I also have a small collection of undershirts. I don't like sleeveless
undershirts. One of the great benefits of sleeved undershirts is that, if
you sweat into them, you only need to wash the undershirt, not what went
over it. Sleeved undershirts are handy to wear under, say, a nice

In my day we had sweater guards or dress shields which were pads (sort
of like nursing bra pads) that went in the underarm area held in place
with a contraption of straps and elastic. This was so that when we
wore twin sets (a pullover and a matching cardigan), you didn't sweat
on the pullover and made ineradicable stains. You also wore them when
you were wearing a nice dress sometimes. At least my mom tried to get
me to wear them. AFAI was concern, they were an invention of the
devil and very uncomfortable, so I resisted wearing them.

turtleneck, on a day when you are shifting between cold outdoors and
overheated rooms. They cut down on the amount of drying cleaning you have to
pay for.

I don't get stuff that has to be dry cleaned any more, and I don't
recall having very much that had to be dry cleaned as a child. We did
wash a lot of stuff by hand though - which I also no longer do.

grandma Rosalie

Old February 21st 04, 04:28 AM
Penny Gaines

Rosalie B. wrote in :
[snip]
My dad always wore sleeveless undershirts and they had bound edges and
were kind of a loose knit in the middle - semi transparent. Not like
the ones Onslow in "Keeping Up Appearances" wears which appear to be
solid knit throughout. Not as sexy as a 'muscle shirt' which are also

Onslow wears a vest. That is definitely a vest, and definitely a
non-respectable way of wearing a vest.

I think what you describe your dad wearing might be called a "string vest"
over he or at least I could describe a string vest in the same way.
Like a net, rather then solid. I couldn't find a picture on the web,
apart from this cartoon:
http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/s/string_vest.asp

They are very like the garments worn by rappers, except they are white.

[snip]
I do not remember ever wearing any kind of underwear as a child
(school age to about age 10) except underpants. (Which we call
panties to distinguish them from trousers which we also call pants
sometimes scandalizing our UK friends who think pants are underwear.)
I know I would sometimes wear a plain T-shirt as a top because I have
pictures of me that way.

[snip]

My kids think it is very funny that you yanks can go out wearing a
"vest and pants" and be respectable, whereas over here "vest and pants"
are underwear, and would not be respectable.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Old February 21st 04, 03:18 PM
Rosalie B.

Penny Gaines wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote in :
[snip]
My dad always wore sleeveless undershirts and they had bound edges and
were kind of a loose knit in the middle - semi transparent. Not like
the ones Onslow in "Keeping Up Appearances" wears which appear to be
solid knit throughout. Not as sexy as a 'muscle shirt' which are also

Onslow wears a vest. That is definitely a vest, and definitely a
non-respectable way of wearing a vest.

Well it just looks like an undershirt to me. Not a high class way of
dressing as we know from Mrs. Bucket's reaction, but undershirts and
T-shirts are both worn without anything over them sometimes here.
Haven't you ever seen that coke commercial?

What do you call the garment that Kevin? Sarbo? wears in ?? can't
remember the name of the show now - the male equivalent of Zena. It's
a sleeveless thing which I'd call a vest. Obviously you all wouldn't.

http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/b9174/ is my dad in 1948 with
a regular T shirt on and here is one of me
http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/dc5a0/ in the same year. I'm
on the right and I was 10 here, almost 11.

I think what you describe your dad wearing might be called a "string vest"
over he or at least I could describe a string vest in the same way.
Like a net, rather then solid. I couldn't find a picture on the web,
apart from this cartoon:
http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/s/string_vest.asp

No it wasn't net. I think I know what you mean by a string vest (I
can't think what we call it, but it's not a string vest) and that's
MUCH looser a weave than what I see in my minds eye. It is just that
instead of being a smooth solid knit it had a ribbed pattern to it.

They are very like the garments worn by rappers, except they are white.

The vests are white?

[snip]
I do not remember ever wearing any kind of underwear as a child
(school age to about age 10) except underpants. (Which we call
panties to distinguish them from trousers which we also call pants
sometimes scandalizing our UK friends who think pants are underwear.)
I know I would sometimes wear a plain T-shirt as a top because I have
pictures of me that way.

[snip]

My kids think it is very funny that you yanks can go out wearing a
"vest and pants" and be respectable, whereas over here "vest and pants"
are underwear, and would not be respectable.

Wait until they hear us talking about fanny packs.

grandma Rosalie

Old February 21st 04, 08:34 PM
Kevin Karplus

I don't know all the American/British clothing equivalences, but here
are a few:

American British
vest waistcoat
undershirt vest
underpants pants
pants trousers
running shoes trainers

I've not been following the camisole, tanktop, sport bra, training bra,
.... discussion very closely (not likely to be very relevant to my son,
even though we do live in California).

There are some equivalence lists on web---for example,

http://www.free-esl.com/gg/englishes/ambrvoc.htm
(has some errors, like about what "shorts" means in
American English)
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Atlantis/2284/
http://www.centripedus.com/amlish.html
http://vocabulary.englishclub.com/voc-ukus.htm
(has several errors in usage)

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Affiliations for identification only.

Old February 22nd 04, 12:27 AM
Jayne Kulikauskas

"Rosalie B." wrote in message

[]
What do you call the garment that Kevin? Sarbo? wears in ?? can't
remember the name of the show now - the male equivalent of Zena. It's
a sleeveless thing which I'd call a vest. Obviously you all wouldn't.

[]

The show is Hercules. I would call the the garment a sleeveless shirt. (I
would also call it sexy, but that is not relevant. g)

Jayne

Old February 22nd 04, 04:29 AM
Rosalie B.

"Jayne Kulikauskas" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .

[]
What do you call the garment that Kevin? Sarbo? wears in ?? can't
remember the name of the show now - the male equivalent of Zena. It's
a sleeveless thing which I'd call a vest. Obviously you all wouldn't.

[]

The show is Hercules. I would call the the garment a sleeveless shirt. (I
would also call it sexy, but that is not relevant. g)

Oh - right. He looks much better in that than in normal clothes IMHO
just as Lucy looks better in her Zena outfit. How can I get a
designer to design something for me that makes me look that much
better? (I guess I'd have to have a better body first).

What about those shirts that the chippies (carpenters) wear on House
Invaders? I noticed today that Phil was wearing what I would call a
sleeveless undershirt in grey.

Kevin said that the discussion of training bras would not be relevant
to his son, but is a singlet a garment only for a female, or can it be
worn by a man? (I'm pretty clear about bras and camisoles being
women's wear.) How about a tank top? I would have thought that was
unisex.

grandma Rosalie

Old February 22nd 04, 09:52 PM
Cheryl

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:29:26 EST, "Rosalie B."
wrote:

"Jayne Kulikauskas" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
. ..

[]
[...]

Singlets and tank tops seem pretty much interchangeable. We tend to
wear specific brands of singlet as underwear and other types of tank
tops as outerwear. Anything of the tight knitwear style tends to be
called a singlet, whether under or outer wear, and anything looser or
cropped is a tank top.

--
Cheryl
Mum to DS#1 (11 Mar 99), DS#2 (4 Oct 00)

a picture : dolphin training vs. kid training Andy General 0 June 16th 04 12:04 AM
Early Potty Training - any books on this? Rosie General 5 March 8th 04 10:41 PM
night potty 'training' cara General 27 February 2nd 04 10:35 PM
OT - Potty training - can it be child-led? (xpost) Cathy Weeks General 40 November 21st 03 11:05 PM
Stop killing Innocent Puppies! (Petition) The Puppy Wizard General 0 October 10th 03 06:59 PM