Drop in antibodies after 6 months?

Old April 14th 04, 05:44 AM
Cadie

Default Drop in antibodies after 6 months?

"Liz S. Reynolds" wrote in message
In article NiG6c.41679$Cb.602613@attbi_s51, Em

wrote:
"toypup" wrote in message
"Em" wrote in message
"Cheryl S." wrote in message
I was very surprised to read this in it, under the section on
preventing
ear infections: "Practitioners such as Ruben believe that

mothers
transfer certain immune-building antibodies to their babies

through
breast milk. However, those antibodies seem to decrease after

the
six-month mark."
snip

I just checked the Womanly Art again and it says, "when solid

foods
replace human milk in a baby's diet, it decreases the

protective
antibodies the baby receives." It states this as one of the

reasons
wait to introduce solids after 6 months (one of the others is
allergies).

Well, if you're replacing human milk with solids, of course the

baby
will
receive less protective antibodies. After all, the solids don't

have
antibodies. It doesn't say that the milk itself has less

antibodies.
I'm
eagerly watching this thread for the answer.

I know, that's why I said that I think that the person quoted is

basing
his info on a misinterpretation of what actually happens! That's my
theory, but I could be totally off-base. The quote in the OP's post
doesn't say whether they tested the milk itself, or whether it is

just
that babies start having less antibodies at the 6 months mark. Call

me
skeptical, but I just suspect that the quote is not based on fact!

Or the author is confusing something else. Aren't babies born with a

store
of antibodies transferred via the placenta that start to wear off

around
then? Breast-fed babies get re-stocked but formula babies don't.

-Liz

Actually, those immunities/antibodies wear off within a few weeks.
It's mainly to help them through the transition of not making any on
their own to when they start producing their own at about a month old.

Safety mechanism, if they didn't have them in that first few weeks,
especially when born in a hospital, they'd probably get really sick.

But they wear off long before 6 months...so don't think it's that.

Cadie