Anyone get a good book over the holidays?

Old January 14th 04, 03:11 AM
P. Tierney

Default Anyone get a good book over the holidays?

My child received several, but I'll pick one: My Very First
Mother Goose, illustrated by Rosemary Wells (author/writer
of the Max and Ruby series). It has over 60 MG rhymes,
the nice part of which is they can be read, sung, or both.
The book is very large, and the pictures are colorful and
look like they will appeal to varying age levels. Since rhyming
and singing are becoming a larger activity these days, this
book is a keeper.

Olivia is two, and I could see this appealing to kids
from age one on up to at least four, perhaps more. We spent,
off and on, a full 90 minutes on it yesterday. That was rare
for one book, but it's still in heavy rotation, so it good for
the child, and good to me. Strong recommendation.

Any others? I'm always like to hear about kid and
parent-tested titles.

P. Tierney

Old January 14th 04, 04:55 AM
laurie

I got the kids a new copy of Mem Fox's "Time for Bed", a favorite around here
(the old one was chewed up a bit, it's a board book). I also got them a new
Sandra Boynton one, "Snuggle Puppy". It's cute and sweet but doesn't flow quite
as well as some of her others. I got Christohper "Pat the Puppy", written by
the daughters of the one who wrote "Pat the Bunny", and it's ok. Doesn't seem
to have quite the same touch.

No real monumental books there, but variations on a few classic favorites.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 2.5 years and
Christopher, 8 months
Old January 14th 04, 05:03 AM
cara

"P. Tierney" wrote:

My child received several, but I'll pick one: My Very First
Mother Goose, illustrated by Rosemary Wells (author/writer
of the Max and Ruby series). It has over 60 MG rhymes,
the nice part of which is they can be read, sung, or both.
The book is very large, and the pictures are colorful and
look like they will appeal to varying age levels. Since rhyming
and singing are becoming a larger activity these days, this
book is a keeper.

Olivia is two, and I could see this appealing to kids
from age one on up to at least four, perhaps more. We spent,
off and on, a full 90 minutes on it yesterday. That was rare
for one book, but it's still in heavy rotation, so it good for
the child, and good to me. Strong recommendation.

Any others? I'm always like to hear about kid and
parent-tested titles.

P. Tierney

We've had a Richard Scarry book for awhile that we like, its called The
Best Word Book Ever. It just has a lot of pictures and corresponding
words, and is fun to make up stories with and just look at all the pages
with so many different types of scenes, things, people, expressions,
etc. It has been a favorite for awhile and doesn't seem to lose its
appeal.
Another latest favorite from the library has been Jez Alborough's Duck
in the Truck. Cute story.

cara

Old January 14th 04, 05:18 AM
GoofeeGyrl

Jamberry_ (one of my faves),
_Chika Chika Boom Boom_ (who doesn't like that one?)

I certainly second these. Sophie just got Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and LOVES
it--I got Jamberry for Eva but of course Soph has taken it as her own.

We also love Sleepy Bears by Mem Fox.

You can't beat the Chinaberry catalog for books
(http://www.chinaberry.com)

Best wishes,
Ericka

I recently checked out Under the Chinaberry Tree, a list of recommended books.
I have a whole list of books to buy after checking them out from the library at
the book's suggestion.

Linda
Mommy to Sophie, 2.75 years
and Eva, 4 months
Old January 14th 04, 05:32 AM
Ericka Kammerer

P. Tierney wrote:

My child received several, but I'll pick one: My Very First
Mother Goose, illustrated by Rosemary Wells (author/writer
of the Max and Ruby series). It has over 60 MG rhymes,
the nice part of which is they can be read, sung, or both.
The book is very large, and the pictures are colorful and
look like they will appeal to varying age levels. Since rhyming
and singing are becoming a larger activity these days, this
book is a keeper.

Olivia is two, and I could see this appealing to kids
from age one on up to at least four, perhaps more. We spent,
off and on, a full 90 minutes on it yesterday. That was rare
for one book, but it's still in heavy rotation, so it good for
the child, and good to me. Strong recommendation.

Any others? I'm always like to hear about kid and
parent-tested titles.

We didn't do much in the way of books this year
for Christmas because Genevieve has plenty to grow into
and the boys have plenty on their shelves they haven't
gotten to yet. Favorites for toddlers in our house
included _Goodnight, Gorilla_ (Colin thought it was
absolutely hysterical), _Jamberry_ (one of my faves),
_Chika Chika Boom Boom_ (who doesn't like that one?)
and _The Cosy Book_ by...hmmm...can't remember.

Old January 14th 04, 09:06 AM
HollyLewis

We spent,
off and on, a full 90 minutes on it yesterday. That was rare
for one book, but it's still in heavy rotation, so it good for
the child, and good to me. Strong recommendation.

In our house, that would be the Richard Scarry book, _Cars and Trucks and
Things That Go_. DS loves it, and I like it a lot better than _What Do People
Do All Day?_ which he already had and is annoyingly sexist. Anyway, he asks
for it to be read to him almost daily and he will also happily sit and look at
it by himself for long periods of time.

Holly
Mom to Camden, almost 3
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old January 14th 04, 09:56 AM
Clisby

P. Tierney wrote:
My child received several, but I'll pick one: My Very First
Mother Goose, illustrated by Rosemary Wells (author/writer
of the Max and Ruby series). It has over 60 MG rhymes,
the nice part of which is they can be read, sung, or both.
The book is very large, and the pictures are colorful and
look like they will appeal to varying age levels. Since rhyming
and singing are becoming a larger activity these days, this
book is a keeper.

Olivia is two, and I could see this appealing to kids
from age one on up to at least four, perhaps more. We spent,
off and on, a full 90 minutes on it yesterday. That was rare
for one book, but it's still in heavy rotation, so it good for
the child, and good to me. Strong recommendation.

Any others? I'm always like to hear about kid and
parent-tested titles.

P. Tierney

My almost-2-year-old got his own, brand-new copy of Goodnight, Moon (he
or his sister left the old one on the porch and the rain ruined it.)

When he opened it, he exclained, "Moon!" and promptly ignored everything
else until I had read it to him 3 times.

Clisby

Old January 14th 04, 12:41 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

P. Tierney wrote:

My child received several, but I'll pick one: My Very First
Mother Goose, illustrated by Rosemary Wells (author/writer
of the Max and Ruby series). It has over 60 MG rhymes,
the nice part of which is they can be read, sung, or both.
The book is very large, and the pictures are colorful and
look like they will appeal to varying age levels. Since rhyming
and singing are becoming a larger activity these days, this
book is a keeper.

Olivia is two, and I could see this appealing to kids
from age one on up to at least four, perhaps more. We spent,
off and on, a full 90 minutes on it yesterday. That was rare
for one book, but it's still in heavy rotation, so it good for
the child, and good to me. Strong recommendation.

Any others? I'm always like to hear about kid and
parent-tested titles.

P. Tierney

I liked the Good Dog Carl books because they didn't have any words. Hug
by Jez Alborough (sp?) is also great - the main word in that book is (of
course) "hug". Then anything by David (i'm not sure about the first
name) Wiesner is great - Tuesday is my favorite, again very few words.

A good poetry book is "You read to me and I'll read to you" The poems
are in two voices, but one person can read both sides.

We love the Sanda Boynton books.

Old January 14th 04, 02:31 PM
enigma

ospam (laurie) wrote in
:

I got the kids a new copy of Mem Fox's "Time for Bed", a
favorite around here (the old one was chewed up a bit, it's
a board book). I also got them a new Sandra Boynton one,
"Snuggle Puppy". It's cute and sweet but doesn't flow quite
as well as some of her others. I got Christohper "Pat the
Puppy", written by the daughters of the one who wrote "Pat
the Bunny", and it's ok. Doesn't seem to have quite the
same touch.

Snuggle Puppy is from the Philadelphia Chickens CD, so it has
a particular tune/flow which is different from the other
books. it's not one of my favorite songs on the CD either.
Boo likes the 'That's Not My...' series from Usborne books.
we have the Train, Tractor, Puppy & Truck. he's also a HUGE
Bug in the Box popup book (David A. Carter) fan. i don't
suggest these unless your kid is past the tearing up or eating
books stage though. Boo has always been very careful with
books (he gets upset that other kids in his preschool class
aren't so careful. he won't let them touch his Bugs books) we
have 6 or 7 of the Bug in a Box books, plus David A. Carter's
book on designing & building popups (for adults, but it's very
interesting to Boo to be able to see how popups work).
Spot books (Eric Hill), especially the lift-the-flap ones.
the Sheep series (Sheep in a Jeep, Sheep on a Ship, Sheep in a
Shop, Sheep take a Hike... i don't have Sheep Out to Eat yet)
by Nancy Shaw. he also likes Sector 7 & Tuesday (i can't
remember the author & they're upstairs. they're stories in
pictures with little to no text)
i tend to buy books by illustration first, then text. if i
don't like the illustrator it doesn't matter how good the
story might be. it's a personal quirk & probably comes from
having an illustrator as one of my SOs shrug. but life is
too short for bad art
lee with over 30' of kid's books so far)