Needing help

Old July 5th 03, 09:21 PM

Default Needing help

In ,
Dennis Here youreply
typed:
dolores wrote in message ...

wrote in message
Kids at your son's
age, are active, inquisitive, and sometimes just plain wild. It's
normal behavior, but it should not be tolerated.

I just cant agree with you there. It SHOULD be tolerated......and
encouraged......Kids cant be good well balanced adults if they're not
allowed to be real children....And being a real child involves all
the above....without stricture, unless it would endanger them or
cause offence to any party. As long as they know the boundaries
(which shouldn't be too restrictive) they will be ok. Why are
modern day parents so hell bent on controlling every move their
child makes......All we're doing is storing up problems for their
teenage/adults years.

I know Betsy has already explained herself better but I can assure
everyone that there are many parents out there who do not let "kids
be kids". Two years ago Freddie and I stayed with his godparents and
their two girls (also my god-daughters). ALL toys were confined to
the bedroom at all times! Not even a rubber duck in the bathroom! The
kids bedroom had to be tidied every night as well! Bicycles, when not
being actually ridden, had to be parked properly in the garage, no
chance of popping in for a pee whilst leaving the bike at the door.
One morning the three children, mother and I went for a walk
following a night of heavy rain. The pavement was covered in huge
puddles which the two girls dutifully walked around keeping their
pristine wellingtons nice and clean. I called all the children
together and pointed out a very large puddle just ahead of us and
then said in a stern voice that they were not allowed to jump in it.
The girls demurely said OK but Freddie asked why not? "Because I'm
going to jump in it! I shouted with enthusiasm and promptly did a big
two footer and drenched them all!
For the next half hour the three kids and I jumped into every puddle
we saw and the two girls shrieked with laughter and abandonment for
the first time in the three days we were there and probably for the
first time in months. I agree wholeheartedly with Dolores, let kids
be kids, in fact I'd go further, encourage them and join in.

Dennis

Well said, Dennis. I would have done the same thing.

Betsy
--
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with
ketchup.

Old July 5th 03, 11:07 PM
dolores

"Dennis Here" youreply
wrote in message ...

dolores wrote in message ...

wrote in message

Snip

[...]

Oh God!..... I know soooo many parents that are like that!!....They drive me
mad......I cant for the life of me work out why it is these people think it
is good manners, or a sign of a being good, if a child never steps of line.

[...]

What did the mother do/say?.....she must have nearly had a heartattack?.....

I agree wholeheartedly with Dolores, let kids be kids, in fact I'd go
further, encourage them and join in.

I agree with me too!!......lolol.....and why couldn't Des have been more
like you Dennis.....last time he saw them I let him have them for the
day.......Guess what he did?....

he took them round the town visiting Banks, that he had accounts
in.....Kailin said he was never so bored in all his life........then things
got really exciting.....he thought he'd really show them a good
time......and brought them to a shoe shop!!.....it ended up in an arugement
cos kailin didn't want the shoes Des was buying him......Kailin wanted a
cheaper pair......Des told him that *he* was paying for them and Kailin
would have to take what he got.......So, Kailin got the reciept off him and
I took him to town the next Saturday to change them......

Well......I made a couple of bucks off him.....and bought a fart bag for
Kailin!!!...

Dolores

Old July 6th 03, 10:43 PM
Dennis Here

Rachel Richard wrote in message

I am new at this so please bare with me if I do this wrong. I am a 34
female from Louisiana and have a 5 year old son. I have been divorced
for 2 years and my son does not see his father at all. He is hyper and
always seeming to try to get on my last nerve. Any suggestions on what
to try to help him? He still asks for his dad every now and then but I
know he does miss him but he doesn't say much about it. Like I said, I'm
new to this discuss group thing so please bare with me if I have done
something wrong---

Sorry for the delay but I drafted you into a folder and forgot to look in
it!
Five year olds can be a bit of a handful all right. They are just too young
to be independent and too old to ignore! Actually I would be somewhat
concerned if a five you. was not hyper what with the whole world to
discover. Is he at school yet? they tend to settle a bit then and start to
make friends of their own. This can have huge advantages for both of you as
you should be able to invite those friends around to your house. I have
found it much less demanding to have two or three here than just my son as
they tend to amuse each other. There is also the added bonus of Freddie
going off to play at their houses giving me a welcome break and a chance to
do some work without him wanting to "help".
No, you are not doing anything wrong, your son is just being a normal five
year old. It gets worse!

Dennis

Old July 7th 03, 10:45 AM
Rachel Richard

Yes he has been in school, two years worth. He was 3 and did not talk
clearly so I had him tested and they suggested preschool to get him
around others. It helped some the first year and now you can't shut him
up. Thanks for the advice--
Rachel

Keep looking up and smile, Someone up the loves us!!!

Old July 8th 03, 01:19 AM
dolores

"Dennis Here" youreply
wrote in message ...

dolores wrote in message ...

"Dennis Here" wrote in message

[...]

That was the best bit, she was gobsmacked at first with a look of abject
horror on her face but she slowly saw the funny side of it. She didn't

join
in though. She is an accountant, says it all really ;-)

LMAO.....it does, yes!!

Dolores