What about circumcision and pain relief for baby

Old December 11th 03, 02:00 AM

Default What about circumcision and pain relief for baby

I am having sons circumcision tomorrow. I had one other question.
They do not use pain killer because of swelling, is there something that the
doc can use that will not swell. I heard of a cream that they can put on to
minimize pain.

Also, why is it best practice to NOT do circumcision. I figure since my
first son is circ. I should have 2nd son also. I know they are doing the
circs now but taking less foreskin off.

I am in US.

Thanks again in advance

Old December 11th 03, 02:46 AM
ChrisScaife

Dear Tanya,
In anglo-saxon countries circumcision is frowned upon.

Our religion teaches that God created us in his own image. To change it is
to criticise God.
Our science teaches that we evolved to survive and all parts of us have a
purpose, even if we do not understand them.
Personaly I believe that circumcision... no that doesn't matter what I
beleieve, I have no statistcs to back it up...
All I can say, If you are not a "Troll", please do not have your son
circumcised.

et...

Old December 11th 03, 02:52 AM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

Your baby should have both a topical anaesthetic (such as a spray) and
an ingested anaesthetic, whatever the doctor thinks is safe for such a
small baby. Probably tylenol. There's no reason whatsoever to perform
a circumcision without pain relief. Also be prepared for your baby to
nurse or take a bottle immediately after the procedure. (Food is very
calming.)

Whether to have the circumcision done or not is up to you, as parents.
Do what you think is best for your child.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old December 11th 03, 02:55 AM
Chotii

"T" wrote in message
et...
I am having sons circumcision tomorrow. I had one other question.
They do not use pain killer because of swelling, is there something that

the
doc can use that will not swell. I heard of a cream that they can put on

minimize pain.

Also, why is it best practice to NOT do circumcision. I figure since my
first son is circ. I should have 2nd son also. I know they are doing the
circs now but taking less foreskin off.

Please don't say "circumcision", it's a euphemism, a neat, tidy way of
saying something that's awful to talk about straight out. Please say "They
are going to amputate my son's foreskin tomorrow". That's the honest truth.
That is what they will do. They will peel his foreskin away from his glans,
where it adheres like your fingernails adhere to your fingers, crush it all
around to keep it from bleeding too much, and then cut it off. That's
amputation.

The reason they amputate the foreskins of newborns and not 3 or 5 or 7 year
old kids is because older kids can tell you how much it hurts, and that they
don't want their penis cut. All a baby can do is cry. If you wouldn't
subject your older child to this, with or without pain killer, why would you
subject your newborn to it?

What has the fact that you had this done to your first child, got to do with
doing it to baby #2? Children can be different. They can have
different-colored eyes and hair, different color skin even. Why not
different penises?

The best reason NOT to do circumcision is it is *his* sexual organ, not
yours. *He* will be the one using it later in life, not you. It should be
*his* choice to alter his body, not yours (as long as there's no medical
problem that needs correction for the sake of his immediate health). The
head of the penis is intended to be covered except when erect. The head of
the penis is a mucous membrane, meant to be moist, shiny, and exceedingly
sensitive - not dry, dull, and exposed. Cutting away its natural cover
*may* be necessary under certain circumstances, but these are unusual, *not*
the norm.

There's another reason not to do it: there is no way to know how much the
individual's penis will grow at puberty. The doctor will remove what looks
like the right amount, but when the boy grows into a man, his penis can grow
larger than what the remaining skin can accommodate. Such boys may wake in
the mornings with their sheets bloody, because the skin of the penis has
torn in the night. Such boys may have skin so tight it becomes abraded and
even bloody from friction during intercourse. Such boys may well have a
smaller, shorter penis than nature has designed for them, because the tight
skin won't allow full expansion during erection. Is this really what you
want for your son? Do you even want to risk it?

Please consider the reality of your choice, because this is what you're
choosing. Maybe it will turn out okay. Maybe it won't. But *YOU* won't be
the one who has to live with it. He will.

--angela

Old December 11th 03, 02:57 AM

The doc said they don't usually give the baby any anaesthetic. Is there
something I can buy over the counter and bring?

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

Hi -

Your baby should have both a topical anaesthetic (such as a spray) and
an ingested anaesthetic, whatever the doctor thinks is safe for such a
small baby. Probably tylenol. There's no reason whatsoever to perform
a circumcision without pain relief. Also be prepared for your baby to
nurse or take a bottle immediately after the procedure. (Food is very
calming.)

Whether to have the circumcision done or not is up to you, as parents.
Do what you think is best for your child.

--Beth Kevles

http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html -- a page for the

milk-allergic

like me to reply.

Old December 11th 03, 03:06 AM
Liz

The AMA does not endorse routine circumcision for infant boys.

Many men believe that circumcision should be a matter of choice for adult
men, not something parents decide for you as an infant.

Circumcision was designed to reduce a boy's sexual appetite by reducing the
amount of pleasure sexual stimulation can provide him. According to Father
Magazine, depending on the cut, 20 to 80% of the sexually sensitive tissue
is removed.

Some folks argue that circumcision cures a tight foreskin, but today the
usual medical treatment for a tight foreskin is stretching, not
circumcision.

If you are concerned about one son wondering why he was circumcised while
the other wasn't, I would urge you not to let that factor into your
decision.

If you would not circumcise your daughter, please do not circumcise your
son.

Liz
Mother of 10 mos. old (uncircumcised) boy

et...

Old December 11th 03, 03:11 AM
Slave

Please read these before you do the circumcision!
Remember one important thing, its his reproductive organ and not yours.

"First do no harm"

More and more parents are choosing NOT to have it done because the have
become informed. The foreskin is a functioning sexual organ and doesn't
separate from the penis until the child is 9mos-3yrs old. So this tells you
that is has to be ripped away from the head of the penis before its cut off.
Most doctors DO NOT use pain medications. They strap the child in a
"circumstraint" and cover his face with a cloth. See the pictures in the
links below.

Diana

http://www.eskimo.com/~gburlin/mgm/facts.html

http://www.intact.ca/vidintro.htm

http://www.intact.ca/

et...

Old December 11th 03, 04:06 AM
Deirdre

http://www.fathermag.com/health/circ...r/horror.shtml

Please research this more in the time that's left. Your son will thank you.

et...