Am I risking it?

Old May 19th 04, 03:48 AM
Tracey

Default Am I risking it?

I've never heard this name before, but at first glance I was thinking of
Armani brand stuff (clothes and pocketbooks? I'm not even sure)

Keep in mind that NO MATTER what name you pick, some mean and nasty child
will think of some way to use it to pick on your child.

"ted" wrote in message
om...
What's your opinion about a baby girl's name 'Avanti'? I absolutely
love the name. It has a nice meaning in quite a few languages.

Upon a search on this ng I found out about the non-latex brand. I wish
I hadn't searched

Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

Thanks.

Old May 19th 04, 04:44 AM
jane.elizabeth

"ted" wrote in message
om...
What's your opinion about a baby girl's name 'Avanti'? I absolutely
love the name. It has a nice meaning in quite a few languages.

Upon a search on this ng I found out about the non-latex brand. I wish
I hadn't searched

Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

Thanks.

Missing OP's post.

But *duh*---no one seemed to catch that "Avanti" is the name of a condom
brand, at which the OP hinted.

Yes, I think there might be a problem if your child's name was the same as
the name of a brand of condom. :-) More likely to be a hardship in the
teenaged years.

Otherwise, I'm all for naming your child a name that has a personal meaning
for *you*.

Jane, whose 4 1/2 yr old and 2 1/2 yr old seem to be living up to their
names

Old May 19th 04, 05:18 AM
toto

On Tue, 18 May 2004 13:13:20 -0700, "Circe" wrote:

Sara wrote:
ted wrote:

Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

It's a car, isn't it?

So is Aurora, but I think it's a terrific name g!

I guess the problem with Avanti, to my ear, is that it sounds to much like
the name of a product and not of a person. But I'm not sure everyone would
hear it that way. They might think the same about Aurora!

Aurora makes me think of the aurora borealis.. lights in the sky.
I like it.

Avanti is not something *I* would name a child, but my dil might
have as she is Indian.

I think almost any name can end up something a child is teased
about though.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old May 19th 04, 05:36 AM
Jamie Clark

I caught that it was the name of a condom brand, but it's not one that I'm
familiar with. Although frankly, and maybe it's TMI, I haven't been familiar
with a condom in years. But, if the brand continues to be used and sold, I
do think it would be a bad choice. It could sound like she was an oops
baby, so you named her after the brand of condom that failed.

As others have said, it sounds like a brand name to me, not a person's name.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://home.earthlink.net/~jamielee6

Old May 19th 04, 05:59 AM
P. Tierney

On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:44:04 -0500, "jane.elizabeth"
wrote:

"ted" wrote in message
om...
What's your opinion about a baby girl's name 'Avanti'? I absolutely
love the name. It has a nice meaning in quite a few languages.

Upon a search on this ng I found out about the non-latex brand. I wish
I hadn't searched

Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

Thanks.

Missing OP's post.

But *duh*---no one seemed to catch that "Avanti" is the name of a condom
brand, at which the OP hinted.

Actually, several people did, so you missed those posts too.

Yes, I think there might be a problem if your child's name was the same as
the name of a brand of condom. :-) More likely to be a hardship in the
teenaged years.

It depends. It's not a very popular brand, so who knows how
long it will be around? And actually, it isn't a brand. Durex is the
brand, Avanti is the name of the model, so to speak. It is, as far as
I can tell, one of a thousand or so model names.

P. Tierney
Old May 19th 04, 06:05 AM
Joni Rathbun

ted wrote:

Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

Thanks.

I know an Avanti and an Avantee and a Davonte and a Shavonti and
a Lavaughnti. She'd fit in around here.

Old May 19th 04, 06:52 AM
MomToN

I am from India, residing in India and as somebody already said Avanti
is the name of a historical city in India. I hear the name Avantika
more often than Avanti around me. Avantika means the princess of
Avanti (or some similar meaning). BTW I loved the name Avantika. But
we ended up naming our DD, Ananya (meaning unique in sanskrit).

Thank you!

Old May 19th 04, 09:08 AM
LisaBell

Sara wrote:
ted wrote:

Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

It's a car, isn't it?

So is Aurora, but I think it's a terrific name g!

I guess the problem with Avanti, to my ear, is that it sounds to much like
the name of a product and not of a person. But I'm not sure everyone would
hear it that way. They might think the same about Aurora!

Aurora makes me think of lights - the aurora borealis. Avanti makes me
think of 'avanti populo, bandiera rossa...' - a communist call to the
flag (song), and the title of several related films.

--Lisa bell

Old May 19th 04, 11:45 AM
Donna

"Alpha" wrote in message
ink.net...
Barbara says:

I guess the problem with Avanti, to my ear, is that it sounds to much
like the name of a product and not of a person.

I'm afraid that's what it sounds like to me too.

Same here. And knowing it's the name of so many different products, I'd
worry that god forbid one of the products becomes really popular in your
area when she's older.... you could end up with a child named the
equivalent of "Coke" or "Phillip Morris".

Donna