Why does this bother me? (re - breastfeeding)

Old June 4th 04, 12:00 AM
Sophie

Default Why does this bother me? (re - breastfeeding)

Mini-vent coming on -

As a person who did not/does not breastfeed, why does it bother me when
people say breastfeeding in public is "inappropriate" - and particularly
it's inappropriate in a **restaurant**?? Ugh! I can't imagine how it makes
breastfeeders feel. It's absolutely insane. First of all how is feeding a
baby, in any fashion, "inappropriate" in a restaurant?? Where better to
feed them?? Well, from the responses apparently the bathroom would be
better - ick!

This mini-vent comes from comments on a non-pregnancy board. I don't know
what it is. I have no problem if you don't like children, don't want
children, fine. But why are people so hateful and rude? Ugh!

Okay, done, feel better

Have any of you who breastfeed in public ever had anyone say anything rude
to you? Just curious.

Sophie
#4 due July 7, 2004

Old June 4th 04, 12:04 AM
SuperEeyore

Sophie wrote:
Have any of you who breastfeed in public ever had anyone say anything
rude to you? Just curious.

I had to nurse Juliet in the narthex of mil's church. It wasn't very
comfortable, and the room in the bathroom was yucky and filled with catty
women. An usher came up and suggested we would all be more comfortable in
the ladies room.

Laurel

---

Old June 4th 04, 12:12 AM
Iuil

"Sophie" wrote

Have any of you who breastfeed in public ever had anyone say anything rude
to you? Just curious.

Only my GP's receptionist (who really ought to have known better). She
insisted that I would be more comfortable in an empty office than in the
waiting room (3 other people, 2 men which I think was her problem). She
actually took my carseat and changing bag and carried them into the office.

I complained to the doctor about her and he tried to say that she was doing
me a favour. My mother said that if it happened the next time to turn
around and ask the other people in the waiting room if they actually did
have a problem. The next time we went back, 3 months later, she never said
a word. Pity, cos I was feeling a lot more bolshie by then :-).

Jean

Old June 4th 04, 12:53 AM
Kari

I've only had positive responses from people, that I've noticed. My husband
has said that a few times I had the evil stare but I didnt see them. Oh
well, it's either feed him or listen to him scream his head off.

And I've fed him everywhere we go. Kaylie's dance recital, school functions,
restaurants, Walmart, the mall, in front of relatives. There isn't much I
can do about it when he's hungry, he'd never take a bottle as much as we
tried.

Ya know, I'm almost waiting for a rude comment, just so I can say something
rude back. Im such a beeotch sometimes

Kari
mom to 3

Old June 4th 04, 01:08 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Sophie wrote:

Have any of you who breastfeed in public ever had anyone say anything rude
to you? Just curious.

Fortunately, no, no one's ever been rude to me. I
think a few people have been vaguely embarrassed (not because
they saw anything--just embarrassed that anyone would do
such a crazy thing in principle), but most of the time
there's been no response or a positive response. I've
had people tell me they've encountered rude people, so
either I'm lucky or maybe I'm just intimidating--I dunno ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 4th 04, 01:40 AM
Cheryl S.

"Sophie" wrote in message
Mini-vent coming on -

As a person who did not/does not breastfeed, why
does it bother me when people say breastfeeding in
public is "inappropriate" - and particularly it's
inappropriate in a **restaurant**??

Because it's so inane, and *so* none of their beeswax?

Have any of you who breastfeed in public ever had
anyone say anything rude to you? Just curious.

I nursed Julie for 14 months and have nursed Jaden for 9 months now, in
public several times a week, and no one has ever said anything at all
that I can remember, either positive or negative. Wait, two weeks ago
at Julie's preschool, another mom saw me sit down to nurse Jaden and
said, "I miss nursing." I'm pretty sure that's the first comment
anyone's made to me while NIP.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 8 months

Old June 4th 04, 01:45 AM
Cheryl S.

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Fortunately, no, no one's ever been rude to me. I
think a few people have been vaguely embarrassed (not because
they saw anything--just embarrassed that anyone would do
such a crazy thing in principle), but most of the time
there's been no response or a positive response. I've
had people tell me they've encountered rude people, so
either I'm lucky or maybe I'm just intimidating--I dunno ;-)

You and I probably give off the same "I dare you to say something"
vibe. ;-)

Old June 4th 04, 02:17 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Sophie wrote:
Have any of you who breastfeed in public ever had anyone say anything
rude to you? Just curious.

Nope - never gotten so much as a dirty look that I noticed. And I've nursed
pretty indiscreetly (due to circumstance), too. I must just have that look
about me.

I've gotten multiple "what country did she come from / what agency did you
use / I always wanted an Oriental baby" comments, though. Apparently nice
Caucasian girls don't give birth to mixed-race children around here.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread; substitute mailbolt

Old June 4th 04, 02:21 AM
Tracey

"Kari" wrote in message
Ya know, I'm almost waiting for a rude comment, just so I can say

something
rude back. Im such a beeotch sometimes

LOL, me too. I keep hoping someone will say something rude to me so that I
can give them a flip comment, but it hasn't ever happened. I've had a few
evil eye looks, but never any direct negative comments. I have had a lot of
thumbs up type responses from people though.
Tracey in CT

Old June 4th 04, 02:30 AM
JennP

"Sophie" wrote in message
Mini-vent coming on -

As a person who did not/does not breastfeed, why does it bother me when
people say breastfeeding in public is "inappropriate" - and particularly
it's inappropriate in a **restaurant**??

Because you have common sense!

snip

Have any of you who breastfeed in public ever had anyone say anything

rude
to you? Just curious.

Actually, never once. I nursed Matthew in public until he was about 14
months old. He weaned at 16 months.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00