overtiredness and potty training issues

Old September 20th 07, 12:36 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

Default overtiredness and potty training issues

"toypup" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:56:52 -0700, Anne Rogers wrote:

We moved her from a cot to a bed
about a week after she potty trained, initially she was reasonably ok,
but she's getting less and less sleep and as she's never been a child
who would fall asleep being cuddled, I don't really have any way of
working round it, without devising someway of locking her bedroom door
from the outside, which probably wouldn't even have the desired result
anyway.

We used to lock our kids in the bedroom and they could sleep or not. They
normally played for awhile and then went to sleep on their own. It worked
very well. I had a closed circuit tv to monitor DS and a baby monitor for
DD, and they were very content in there from what I could obvserv.

We started putting a baby gate in DD's room when we moved her from a crib to
a bed. She'll totally panic if you close her door, but doesn't have a
problem with the gate, and usually she talks to herself and her stuffed
animals for a short while and then goes to sleep. During the day, since
she's mostly given up her nap, she's pretty content to play in her room by
herself for about an hour for "quiet time".

We have a potty chair in there if she needs it, but she usually just comes
to the gate and calls "Mommy, I need to go potty"-which gets mommy's
attention even when mommy is solidly asleep. (She will wake up at night if
she needs to go).

Old September 20th 07, 11:56 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

a friend just suggested that being overtired could be contributing to
DDs sudden potty training problem. We moved her from a cot to a bed
about a week after she potty trained, initially she was reasonably ok,
but she's getting less and less sleep and as she's never been a child
who would fall asleep being cuddled, I don't really have any way of
working round it, without devising someway of locking her bedroom door
from the outside, which probably wouldn't even have the desired result
anyway.

So, what to people think about this, could overtiredness be contributing
to sudden struggles and what on earth can I do about the sleeping,
sitting with her or lieing with her simply doesn't work, so I don't have
baseline to work from. I've been putting her back in her bedroom if
she comes out, but it didn't seem to have any effect, so I've not been
pushing it so much, she has so much strength that her continual
resistance gets painful pretty quickly.

Cheers
Anne

Old September 21st 07, 01:28 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:

So, what to people think about this, could overtiredness be contributing
to sudden struggles

Well, if you ask me, lack of sleep probably contributes
to nearly everything that is wrong with the world ;-)

and what on earth can I do about the sleeping,
sitting with her or lieing with her simply doesn't work, so I don't have
baseline to work from. I've been putting her back in her bedroom if she
comes out, but it didn't seem to have any effect, so I've not been
pushing it so much, she has so much strength that her continual
resistance gets painful pretty quickly.

Wish I had some good advice for you on this one :-(
Mine didn't keep up with that sort of thing for very long,
so it was a blessedly short phase. Maybe put one of those
doorknob locks on the inside for a bit so she can't get out
and therefore doesn't even get the satisfaction of forcing
you to put her back in her room? Might backfire, though.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old September 21st 07, 01:38 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Well, if you ask me, lack of sleep probably contributes
to nearly everything that is wrong with the world ;-)

so very true!

Wish I had some good advice for you on this one :-(
Mine didn't keep up with that sort of thing for very long,
so it was a blessedly short phase. Maybe put one of those
doorknob locks on the inside for a bit so she can't get out
and therefore doesn't even get the satisfaction of forcing
you to put her back in her room? Might backfire, though.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but it isn't really an option anyway,
she shares are room with DS and the idea of locking them in together at
bed time does not appeal, and it doesn't seem like one method for nap
and one method for bed would work particularly well. She's 2 1/4, so
it's possible that if we got our act together in the evenings and got
her in bed earlier she might not actually need a nap. I did see an
article not so long ago about some research suggesting children did
better with early bed rather than nap and late bed, but I think they
were talking about a little older than DD is.

Cheers
Anne
Old September 21st 07, 01:51 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but it isn't really an option anyway,
she shares are room with DS and the idea of locking them in together at
bed time does not appeal, and it doesn't seem like one method for nap
and one method for bed would work particularly well. She's 2 1/4, so
it's possible that if we got our act together in the evenings and got
her in bed earlier she might not actually need a nap. I did see an
article not so long ago about some research suggesting children did
better with early bed rather than nap and late bed, but I think they
were talking about a little older than DD is.

Do they go to bed at the same time?

None of mine could really go without a nap that early, but
mine seemed to take naps longer than most kids, so that's probably
not a good point of comparison.

Would music or white noise help?

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old September 21st 07, 06:14 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Do they go to bed at the same time?

fairly much, DS has only really moved from the afternoon nap phase in
the past 6 months or so, so the same time is the only way to do it.

None of mine could really go without a nap that early, but
mine seemed to take naps longer than most kids, so that's probably
not a good point of comparison.

One of the things that makes me think DD might be at the stage of not
absolutely needing a nap is that often when she goes down for a nap
easily, she'll then seem to have a very hard time at bed time, not so
forcefully or actively resisting like she can be at nap time, but she'll
just potter out of the bedroom and plonk herself on the landing with a
book or a toy and be quiet and not act tired at all. On the other hand,
when she doesn't have a nap, like today, she went to bed like a dream,
whilst DS was still getting ready, the lights were still on etc.

Would music or white noise help?

we've always done music at bed time, but I only just realised I don't do
it at nap time, I guess I can try that, some days she really does need a
nap, yesterday she fell asleep in the car at about 10 am!

Cheers
Anne
Old September 21st 07, 10:26 AM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
. ..
a friend just suggested that being overtired could be contributing to DDs
sudden potty training problem. We moved her from a cot to a bed about a
week after she potty trained, initially she was reasonably ok, but she's
getting less and less sleep and as she's never been a child who would fall
asleep being cuddled, I don't really have any way of working round it,
without devising someway of locking her bedroom door from the outside,
which probably wouldn't even have the desired result anyway.

So, what to people think about this, could overtiredness be contributing
to sudden struggles and what on earth can I do about the sleeping, sitting
with her or lieing with her simply doesn't work, so I don't have baseline
to work from. I've been putting her back in her bedroom if she comes out,
but it didn't seem to have any effect, so I've not been pushing it so
much, she has so much strength that her continual resistance gets painful
pretty quickly.

Yes, even now if #2 is tired she s more likely to be awkward about going and
hence more likely to have an accident.

If you can cope then cutting out the nap may well be an answer. #2 was at
the stage at about 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 where she would nap if you wanted her to,
and then be difficult to get to sleep at a reasonable time, or you could
miss out on the nap and have a ratty 2 hours before bedtime, but then she
would be asleep within 5 minutes of putting her head down. After a couple of
weeks I realised the latter was easier on me and better sleeping for her.

You may find it better to send her to bed before ds so he goes to bed once
she's asleep. You could get them ready for bed at the same time, then put
her to bed and then read ds a story (or let him read to himslef if he
prefers) in your bed. That works much better for our pair when they'r
sharing a bedroom.
Debbie

Old September 21st 07, 12:49 PM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Hi --

When your child goes down for a nap, how LONG does she nap? At 2 1/4 we
found that no-nap was disastrous, but limiting nap to 30 minutes worked
very well. (It took 3-4 days of waking our son before he started to
wake on his own. Those first few days he was cranky when awakened, but
that passed.)

Good luck,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.