need info on name "Anzia"

Old April 4th 04, 02:53 AM
Vicki S

Default need info on name "Anzia"

Argh!
In searching for a Jewish name with a "z" in it I discovered the
author Anzia Yezierska (1885-1970). I like the name Anzia but I
simply cannot find out the meaning and derivation of it. Can anyone
here help me? I am thinking it is probably Russian or Polish but I
can't seem to prove that true or false... this is getting
frustrating!

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995. Ima shel DS, born 11/16/99; DD, born at
Old April 4th 04, 08:32 AM
animzmirot

"Vicki S" wrote in message
Argh!
In searching for a Jewish name with a "z" in it I discovered the
author Anzia Yezierska (1885-1970). I like the name Anzia but I
simply cannot find out the meaning and derivation of it. Can anyone
here help me? I am thinking it is probably Russian or Polish but I
can't seem to prove that true or false... this is getting
frustrating!

Anzia isn't in the Jewish Name Dictionary, which is extremely comprehensive,
but there is a Hebrew name meaning 'cedar panels' that I think is pretty and
it has a z in it: Ariza. It's the feminine of Erez and Arzee. There is also
the name Amiza, meaning 'strong, courageous', Aliza meaning 'joyous one' ,
Arza/Arzit, which also means 'ceder beams' , Aza which means 'strong',
Aziza, also means 'strong'.... and those are just the A names. Names
beginning with Z include: Zaka, Zakia, Zakit (bright pure clear), Zara, Zora
(form of Sarah), Zariza, Zeriza (industrious),Zayit, Zehara, Zehacvam
Zehiram Zelda, Zemira, Zemora, Zena, Zeta, Zetana, Zeva, Zevida, Zevuda,
Zevula, Zila, Zilla, Zilli, Zimra, Zimria, Zimriah, Ziona, Zipporah, Zira,
Zita, Zoe, Zohar, Zoheret and Zora.

That should get you started!

Marjorie

Old April 4th 04, 02:02 PM
Mary Gordon

Another nice Hebrew name I saw for a girl with a Z in it is
Azaria.

Mary G.
Old April 4th 04, 04:10 PM
Vicki S

"animzmirot" wrote:
Anzia isn't in the Jewish Name Dictionary, which is extremely comprehensive,

I have been using _The_Complete_Book_of_Hebrew_Baby_Names by Smadar
Shir Sidi. My local public library doesn't have a book with the exact
name you give above. Is that the full title? Who wrote it? Is it on
the web anywhere? I'd love to take a look at it!

Of the four names we need to choose (a first and a middle for a boy
and a girl) my DH and I have agreed upon exactly one so far. I'd like
to get a little further before this trimester ends! :-)

but there is a Hebrew name meaning 'cedar panels' that I think is pretty and
it has a z in it: Ariza.

Wow, I hadn't seen that one before. It's very pretty. Thank you!

Names beginning with Z include:

Ahh... My DD is named Zipporah and we call her Zora. So that means
(to me anyway) no more babies with Z as their first initial. Also no
"R" (big brother), "J" (Abba, Grampuh, Aunt), "V" (Ima) "L", "S", "P"
or "I" (the other grandparents). Really though, even insisting upon a
Hebrew name with a "z" in it (like big brother and sister - wouldn't
be fair otherwise!), I do have a lot of options. :-)

Old April 4th 04, 07:29 PM
Hillary Israeli

*
*I have been using _The_Complete_Book_of_Hebrew_Baby_Names by Smadar
*Shir Sidi. My local public library doesn't have a book with the exact
*name you give above. Is that the full title? Who wrote it? Is it on
*the web anywhere? I'd love to take a look at it!

Not to speak for her, but maybe she's talking about _A dictionary of
Jewish names and their history_, by Benzion C. Kaganoff; ISBN 1568219539.

Anyway, Anzia, I see the name listed on a memorial website:

http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/radauti/Holon2.html

There is an Anzia Niederhofer on the list. The list is a memorial for the
Jews of Radautz (Radevits) in Transnistria. That is in Ukraine. Anyway,
that would suggest to me a Russian derivation for the name Anzia.

-h.
Old April 4th 04, 09:17 PM
LisaBell

On 4 Apr 2004 08:10:12 -0700, (Vicki S) wrote:

"animzmirot" wrote:
Anzia isn't in the Jewish Name Dictionary, which is extremely comprehensive,

Sounds Polish, or Russian, not necessarily Jewish. I couldn't find a
source either.
Did find that Anzia is a plant of the Lichen family.
http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant...classification

Of the four names we need to choose (a first and a middle for a boy
and a girl) my DH and I have agreed upon exactly one so far. I'd like
to get a little further before this trimester ends! :-)

but there is a Hebrew name meaning 'cedar panels' that I think is pretty and
it has a z in it: Ariza.

Wow, I hadn't seen that one before. It's very pretty. Thank you!

I suggest avoiding that one. In modern Hebrew ariza means "packaging"
- not very attractive and major teasing potential among Israelis.

Names beginning with Z include:

Ahh... My DD is named Zipporah and we call her Zora. So that means
(to me anyway) no more babies with Z as their first initial. Also no
"R" (big brother), "J" (Abba, Grampuh, Aunt), "V" (Ima) "L", "S", "P"
or "I" (the other grandparents). Really though, even insisting upon a
Hebrew name with a "z" in it (like big brother and sister - wouldn't
be fair otherwise!), I do have a lot of options. :-)

I guess that rules out Zohar, which is my favourite Hebrew Z name.
There's a letter searchable Hebrew name base at
http://www.babyworld.co.il/bba/birth/names
but it probably won't help you much unless you and your browser can
read Hebrew. From the selection of names with Z not as an initial:
Liraz, Maoz, Azit, Orpaz, Gozal, Pazit, Shiraz, Maoz, Aliza...

--Lisabell
Mom (and Ima to Gabriella (5.5) and Michaela (4)
Old April 4th 04, 09:40 PM
animzmirot

"Vicki S" wrote in message
m...
"animzmirot" wrote:
Anzia isn't in the Jewish Name Dictionary, which is extremely

comprehensive,

I have been using _The_Complete_Book_of_Hebrew_Baby_Names by Smadar
Shir Sidi. My local public library doesn't have a book with the exact
name you give above. Is that the full title? Who wrote it? Is it on
the web anywhere? I'd love to take a look at it!

The Name Dictionary: Modern English & Hebrew Names by Alfred J Kolatch,
Jonathan David Publishers, NY, 1967 (updated several times since). I don't
think it's on the web, but it's available in many Judaica stores. I got mine
at the Israel Book Shop in Brookline MA, and they do mail order.

Of the four names we need to choose (a first and a middle for a boy
and a girl) my DH and I have agreed upon exactly one so far. I'd like
to get a little further before this trimester ends! :-)

but there is a Hebrew name meaning 'cedar panels' that I think is pretty

and
it has a z in it: Ariza.

Wow, I hadn't seen that one before. It's very pretty. Thank you!

Names beginning with Z include:

Ahh... My DD is named Zipporah and we call her Zora. So that means
(to me anyway) no more babies with Z as their first initial. Also no
"R" (big brother), "J" (Abba, Grampuh, Aunt), "V" (Ima) "L", "S", "P"
or "I" (the other grandparents). Really though, even insisting upon a
Hebrew name with a "z" in it (like big brother and sister - wouldn't
be fair otherwise!), I do have a lot of options. :-)

Who are you naming this new baby after?

Marjorie

Old April 5th 04, 12:24 AM
dejablues

Maybe it's a truncation of Anastazia.

Old April 6th 04, 08:55 PM
Vicki S

I've consolidated a lot of answers into one post. I apologize if that
makes this annoying or difficult for anyone.

From: Mary Gordon )
Another nice Hebrew name I saw for a girl with a Z in it is Azaria.

Thank you, Mary.

From: LisaBell )
Anzia ...

Sounds Polish, or Russian, not necessarily Jewish. I couldn't find a source either.
Did find that Anzia is a plant of the Lichen family.

I found the same web sites. It's a lichen, there are a few long-dead
people on genealogy sites, and that seems to be it. I think it is a
"Jewish" name in the sense that, say, "Morton" or "Esther" are Jewish.
These names aren't Hebrew, Yiddish or Ladino, but there are a lot of
Jews with these sorts of names.

... Ariza.

I suggest avoiding that one. In modern Hebrew ariza means "packaging"- not very
attractive and major teasing potential among Israelis.

Oh no! We go to shul with lots of Israelis. I am really sorry to
hear that name has such an unattractive connotation.

I guess that rules out Zohar, which is my favourite Hebrew Z name. There's a letter
searchable Hebrew name base at http://www.babyworld.co.il/bba/birth/names but
it probably won't help you much unless you and your browser can read Hebrew. From
the selection of names with Z not as an initial: Liraz, Maoz, Azit, Orpaz, Gozal, Pazit,
Shiraz, Maoz, Aliza...

Yeah, no Zohar for me. It not only starts with "Z", like my
daughter's name, but it's a little too Hasidic for me. :-)
And although I could probably make my browser read Hebrew with a bit
of work, I still wouldn't be able to read it, so I won't be looking at
that site. Oh well!
Thanks for the list of names you found! I like Liraz. How would an
Israeli pronounce that? Lee-rahz? Lih-rahz? Where is the emphasis?
It might be a bit too much like Razi/Raziel, my son's nickname and
name. If we called her LEE-ruh it wouldn't be too similar, though.
Hmmm...

From: animzmirot )
... Is that the full title? Who wrote it? Is it on the web

anywhere? ...
The Name Dictionary: Modern English & Hebrew Names by Alfred J Kolatch ... I don't
think it's on the web, but it's available in many Judaica stores. ...

This is intended to be the last baby so I am NOT investing in another
baby name book! :-) I actually donated a Kolatch book to my shul
after my first child was born, because it really wasn't to my taste.
But, I looked up the one you recommend and my library has it - as
reference only. I'll try to take a look at it there sometime without
driving my kids batty. :-) I did borrow a couple of name books
today, one by Kolatch. I'll see if they have anything of interest.
:-)

Who are you naming this new baby after?

The middle name should be after my husband's Grandmother. Her name
was, oh joy, "Cherry". (No Hebrew name - she wasn't Jewish). My
research on the web indicates that Cherry either means the little red
tree fruit ("Doodevan" in modern Hebrew - not an option!), or it is
from Cheryl which means beloved. So I am open to "chet" names and
names that means beloved. Of course, my husband's middle name is
David (which means beloved) thereby knocking the most attractive male
option right off the list! Oh well. We seem to have agreed on a male
first name, and I believe this baby is a boy, so we have the most
important part completed. :-)